CC Rookie

Cool The Big LAN Melbourne - Open Chess Tournament - October 1st - $1000+ Prize Pool

The Big LAN

Hey Everyone,

The Big LAN is back and we've taken on your feedback! We've updated the ruleset, gotten bigger, tournament-sized chess boards, and a bigger prize pool.

Discounted early bird tickets on sale for a limited time only.

Location: Mitcham Baptist Church - 8-12 Simla St, Mitcham, Victoria
    Date: October 1st, 2022
    Time: 12pm (doors open at 10am)
    Cost: $15 (Includes both lunch and dinner at no extra cost)
    Discount: Use code CHESSCHAT to get 10% off tickets.
    Tickets: thebiglan.com
    Questions: Feel free to email me, or I'll try to respond to any questions on here. You can also join us on Facebook or Discord.
    Age Limit: 18+. We are happy to facilitate under 18s on a case by case basis but they will need to be accompanied by a legal guardian. Please contact us via email, Facebook or Discord to sort this out.

Format: 7 rounds, 13+2 (I believe that is standard timing), cut to top 8.
    Skill Level: Open to all. If we have enough entrants we'll split into a beginner tournament and an experienced tournament.
    Prizing: Prizes to be confirmed, but current prize pool estimates at about $1000, that can be increased with more attendees.
    How to Register: When you purchase a ticket at thebiglan.com you can select the tournaments you wish to enter.
    Equipment: Chess board and clocks provided
    How can I fill in time between rounds: Every ticket includes access to our full suite of side events, including the VR station, the racing simulators, the console wall, mega pass the parcel, the charity raffle (to raise money for Wildlife Victoria), other board games, Lego building, and more.

We are also running a promotion, the person that brings the most friends along will receive a $500 Nvidia Graphics Card.

*Please note that The Big LAN is a not-for-profit, 18+ only event run to raise money for Wildlife Victoria, with all proceeds from the raffle going to support their work, as well as a portion of ticket sales.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLAN View Post
    The Big LAN

Hey Everyone,

The Big LAN is back and we've taken on your feedback! We've updated the ruleset, gotten bigger, tournament-sized chess boards, and a bigger prize pool.

Discounted early bird tickets on sale for a limited time only.

Location: Mitcham Baptist Church - 8-12 Simla St, Mitcham, Victoria
    Date: October 1st, 2022
    Time: 12pm (doors open at 10am)
    Cost: $15 (Includes both lunch and dinner at no extra cost)
    Discount: Use code CHESSCHAT to get 10% off tickets.
    Tickets: thebiglan.com
    Questions: Feel free to email me, or I'll try to respond to any questions on here. You can also join us on Facebook or Discord.
    Age Limit: 18+. We are happy to facilitate under 18s on a case by case basis but they will need to be accompanied by a legal guardian. Please contact us via email, Facebook or Discord to sort this out.

Format: 7 rounds, 13+2 (I believe that is standard timing), cut to top 8.
    Skill Level: Open to all. If we have enough entrants we'll split into a beginner tournament and an experienced tournament.
    Prizing: Prizes to be confirmed, but current prize pool estimates at about $1000, that can be increased with more attendees.
    How to Register: When you purchase a ticket at thebiglan.com you can select the tournaments you wish to enter.
    Equipment: Chess board and clocks provided
    How can I fill in time between rounds: Every ticket includes access to our full suite of side events, including the VR station, the racing simulators, the console wall, mega pass the parcel, the charity raffle (to raise money for Wildlife Victoria), other board games, Lego building, and more.

We are also running a promotion, the person that brings the most friends along will receive a $500 Nvidia Graphics Card.

*Please note that The Big LAN is a not-for-profit, 18+ only event run to raise money for Wildlife Victoria, with all proceeds from the raffle going to support their work, as well as a portion of ticket sales.

Are they cash prizes Jacob. If so what are the prize amounts for various positions?!

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy009 View Post
    Are they cash prizes Jacob. If so what are the prize amounts for various positions?!
    Hey, the prizes are still to be confirmed. They will either be partially cash, and partially other prizes, or all other prizes, it just depends on what is provided to us by sponsors which will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Most of the prizes we have are tech/gaming related (gaming monitors, keyboards, mice, headsets, vouchers to computer stores, etc.) though I am working with a couple of new sponsors on potentially providing some cash, or some more chess/board game related prizes.

CC Grandmaster
    Hey, the prizes are still to be confirmed. They will either be partially cash, and partially other prizes, or all other prizes, it just depends on what is provided to us by sponsors which will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Most of the prizes we have are tech/gaming related (gaming monitors, keyboards, mice, headsets, vouchers to computer stores, etc.) though I am working with a couple of new sponsors on potentially providing some cash, or some more chess/board game related prizes.
    Thx, to Andy for asking. When Listing prizes - it is a common practice to state ''1000 in prizes etc.'' if its cash and if its not cash state otherwise.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master

Thumbs up

It was a well organised event last time. Organisers had put in lots of effort to conduct various games/competitions well and it was enjoyment for everyone last time.
    Great to have another chess event once in few months in Melbourne for the players!
    Hope this time there is more turnover of chess players so that they can enjoy chess tournament, other games and also make the event successful!

Hopefully the organisers will be able to give some grand cash and non cash prizes to the participants and we will have further announcements soon from them!

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Thx, to Andy for asking. When Listing prizes - it is a common practice to state ''1000 in prizes etc.'' if its cash and if its not cash state otherwise.
    That's my bad, apologies for the mistake. Unfortunately I don't appear to have an option to edit the original post :/

CC Rookie
    Keen! Should be able to make it, will flick you an email soon

CC Rookie
    Hey, just a reminder for anyone that's keen. Early bird discounts finish this week. So if you want a discounted ticket, and entry to the early-bird prize draw, grab them now

CC Rookie
    Hey, would just love some input from the community on our prizes. As we are, first and foremost, a PC gaming event, most of our prizes are PC gaming related. I'd love some input on what prizes would be preferred.

Assuming the same product value, would you prefer:
    - Gaming monitor
    - High-end Wireless Headset
    - High-end Mechanical Keyboard
    - A pack featuring a mid-tier Mouse, Keyboard and Headset

Would love any input here.

Thanks!

CC Rookie
    Hey all,

Just a reminder that this event is on this Saturday and tickets are still available.

I've also been able to lock in some great, high quality, prizes from Audio Technica for 1st and 2nd place (3rd-8th place prizes will be determined on number of players)

Chess.jpg

CC Rookie
    Hey all. Final reminder until I post results tomorrow.

It starts tomorrow at midday (doors open at 10am).

See you there!

Banned Hydra
    Hey all. Final reminder until I post results tomorrow.

It starts tomorrow at midday (doors open at 10am).

See you there!
    Thankyou for facilitating and promoting chess.

Thread Information