CC Rookie

Switching from Chess to Poker

Couldn't find a thread like this so I thought I'd post one here just out of curiosity (Mods you may move this thread elsewhere if need be).

Seeing that there's a similarity in skills between poker and chess and many players switching to the former (Even Magnus Carlsen played some poker tournaments)

You know any Australian chess players who quit chess in pursuit of poker, or downgrading their activities significantly as a result of it?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Myan View Post
    Couldn't find a thread like this so I thought I'd post one here just out of curiosity (Mods you may move this thread elsewhere if need be).

Seeing that there's a similarity in skills between poker and chess and many players switching to the former (Even Magnus Carlsen played some poker tournaments)

You know any Australian chess players who quit chess in pursuit of poker, or downgrading their activities significantly as a result of it?
    Michael Addamo - Good junior chess player who has become an very successful poker player
    James Obst - I dont think he plays either poker or chess now
    Gary Benson - Is a long time poker and correspondance chess player.

CC Grandmaster
    Some strong chess players love poker and play it well or relatively well: Eddie Levi and ames Morris to name a few. Kerry Stead is probably rated higher in poker than he is in chess or around the same. But all of them are of course nowhere nearly as good as Addamo or even Obst
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Michael Addamo is the obvious one - current #1 all-time in tournament winnings from Australia & #36 worldwide
    https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pla...p?a=r&n=291264
    Yita Choong is one who quit his job in Sydney to play poker & has been doing well financially as a result - some very impressive results in 2022 in particular
    https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pla...p?a=r&n=745149

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead View Post
    Michael Addamo is the obvious one - current #1 all-time in tournament winnings from Australia & #36 worldwide
    https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pla...p?a=r&n=291264
    Yita Choong is one who quit his job in Sydney to play poker & has been doing well financially as a result - some very impressive results in 2022 in particular
    https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pla...p?a=r&n=745149
    Ah yes, just recently saw Yita cash over 260k in the Sydney Champs main event. Good to see that his dedication has paid off.

Yeah I've seen Addamo's run in 2021 and his play style and results have been insane. What a dream.

I also heard that there are some chess players from Brisbane who have dedicated to poker these days.

Thread Information