Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adjusting an opponent's piece?

Suppose your opponent makes a move but does not place their piece fully within the intended square, but leaves it overlapping onto an adjacent square. Then they press their clock.

I interpret the following rule:
    Quote Originally Posted by FIDE rule 4.2
    Provided that he first expresses his intention (for example by saying „j’adoube“ or “I adjust”), the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares.
    to mean that I, having the move and saying "j'adoube", may adjust my opponent's piece to move it fully within the square (provided there's no ambiguity, i.e., most of their piece is within a square).

I did so (after saying "j'adoube"), but my opponent was offended by me touching their piece. I suppose I should have first asked him to place his piece properly, but,... was I within the rules by adjusting his piece myself in this way?

TIA.
    Last edited by strangerep; 14-06-2022 at 01:23 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerep View Post
    was I within the rules by adjusting his piece myself in this way?

TIA.
    I think you were perfectly within the rules.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Pagano View Post
    I think you were perfectly within the rules.
    I agree. But I think it's a good idea not to adjust your opponent's pieces without asking them to do so first. And if they refuse, you might be safer to ask the arbiter to make the adjustment.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I agree. But I think it's a good idea not to adjust your opponent's pieces without asking them to do so first. And if they refuse, you might be safer to ask the arbiter to make the adjustment.
    Depending on who it was and if I knew them, I probably wouldn't ask them as that might create a disturbance. I'd just adjust it. If they continually misplace pieces, tell the arbiter.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    You are definitely within your rights to adjust your opponents piece on your time.
    You should not speak to your opponent during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    You are definitely within your rights to adjust your opponents piece on your time.
    You should not speak to your opponent during the game.
    Even then only when it's in any way ambiguous as to what square it's on. If you're intending on adjusting on a square simply because it's not central enough, for example, leave it alone.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    Even then only when it's in any way ambiguous as to what square it's on. If you're intending on adjusting on a square simply because it's not central enough, for example, leave it alone.
    If it is truly ambiguous which square a piece is on then the player should stop the clock and call the arbiter to sort the situation out.

If it is clear what square the piece is on but it is off center then there is nothing wrong with adjusting an opponents piece.

If it is truly ambiguous which square a piece is on then the player should stop the clock and call the arbiter to sort the situation out.

If it is clear what square the piece is on but it is off center then there is nothing wrong with adjusting an opponents piece.
    I would argue there is. I deliberately place my pieces how I want. You do not get to adjust them UNLESS there is ambiguity.

That is definitely not allowed.

The Arbiters Manuel states:

Article 4.2.1 may only be used to correct displaced pieces. If the opponent is not present then an arbiter, if present, should be informed before any adjustment takes place. The player should always announce his intention to adjust a piece. If he does not do this then the normal touch move rules apply (see 4.3)
    If a piece is entirely within a square it is clearly not displaced.
    As such the player should not be touching it to adjust it.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thank you. I was sure there was something official to say about this, but wasn't in a position to look it up.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    That is definitely not allowed.

The Arbiters Manuel states:

If a piece is entirely within a square it is clearly not displaced.
    As such the player should not be touching it to adjust it.
    I agree

CC International Master
    I would argue there is. I deliberately place my pieces how I want. You do not get to adjust them UNLESS there is ambiguity.
    If white playing the first move moves the pawn on e2 to a position where half the pawn sits on e3 and half on e4 and hits the clock it is ambiguous whether the pawn should be on e4 or e3 and black should stop the clock and call the arbiter to sort the situation out

If white playing the first move moves the pawn on e2 to a position where almost all the pawn sits on e4 but a small amount sits on e3 and hits the clock there is no ambiguity on which square the pawn should be, clearly the move 1. e4 has been played. In this case black, on their time, is able to indicate they are going to adjust and then move the pawn to the center of the e4 square

Incorrect. In cases where there is any ambiguity at all, even if a piece is only slightly on another square, you either tell your opponent to clarify, or call the arbiter, so that they can tell your opponent to clarify. You do not do it yourself.

CC International Master
    Incorrect. In cases where there is any ambiguity at all, even if a piece is only slightly on another square, you either tell your opponent to clarify, or call the arbiter, so that they can tell your opponent to clarify. You do not do it yourself.
    You certainly do not talk to your opponent to ask them to clarify.

There is no ambiguity at all if a piece is only slightly on another square.

I once had an opponent who would change the orientation of my knight as soon as I moved it. If I left it facing the side, he would move it to face the front, immediately even as I was reaching for the clock. I thought at the time it was quite rude, but as it seemed to bother him I obviously then was deliberately placing them facing the "wrong" way. Good to know it was against the rules.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information