CC Candidate Master

Fide motto “Gens Una Sumus”

Gens Una Sumus is the motto of FIDE, basically meaning we are one. Then why does NZ Chess still employ vaccine mandates to play in OTB NZ Chess events.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBurns View Post
    Gens Una Sumus is the motto of FIDE, basically meaning we are one. Then why does NZ Chess still employ vaccine mandates to play in OTB NZ Chess events.
    Fide's motto is irrelevant. What matters is the current status of vaccine mandates in New Zealand and how they apply to OTB NZ Chess Events, which usually fall under indoor events, or private hire events.

As an example from Australia: As we have different States and Territories, each State and Territory has a different policy on vaccine mandates, and so all chess events have slightly different policies, depending on where the event is held. Each tournament is pretty much just following the law as they have to to keep their events running. As soon as the mandates lessen, the tournaments adjust their policies as well.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Fide's motto is irrelevant. What matters is the current status of vaccine mandates in New Zealand and how they apply to OTB NZ Chess Events, which usually fall under indoor events, or private hire events.
    This why there are now some outdoor Fide-Rated tournaments held in Melbourne.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This why there are now some outdoor Fide-Rated tournaments held in Melbourne.
    Yes, I have just read a news article that Dan Andrews is staying with Vaccine Mandates in Victoria, even though almost all other States and Territories have dropped theirs, with Qld having dropped theirs as of 1am Thursday 14th April (Today).

Most States/Territories still have them for Aged Care, Corrective Services, Disability Sectors and Airports, which makes sense. But, of course, these do not affect otb chess events.

I think it is important to remember though, for others posting, that this thread is about Chris Burns original question, about NZ chess events, so others posting, need to be careful about thread drift, or posting off topic.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Yes, I have just read a news article that Dan Andrews is staying with Vaccine Mandates in Victoria, even though almost all other States and Territories have dropped theirs, with Qld having dropped theirs as of 1am Thursday 14th April (Today).

Most States/Territories still have them for Aged Care, Corrective Services, Disability Sectors and Airports, which makes sense. But, of course, these do not affect otb chess events.

I think it is important to remember though, for others posting, that this thread is about Chris Burns original question, about NZ chess events, so others posting, need to be careful about thread drift, or posting off topic.
    Thanks for some insight from Australia, In NZ most mandates have now been abolished, There is now the ability to do Rapid antigen testing which makes more sense than a vaccine pass. NZ chess don’t care if you test negative and have no symptoms you still can’t play if you have not bothered to get a vaccine pass. I thought when the Government lifted the mandates NZ chess would be the first to drop them but it looks like they will be around for a long time even when NZ gets to the green light setting.

NZCF does not have a vaccine mandate. Individual clubs, however, are free to impose vaccine mandates if they feel it is in the best interests of their membership. And some clubs might have venues that impose a vaccine mandate. Goodness only knows what Chris is on about. My club (North Shore CC) currently does not have a vaccine mandate, though the committee might decide we should have one for any open tournaments we run. Nothing to do with NZCF.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by heligan View Post
    NZCF does not have a vaccine mandate. Individual clubs, however, are free to impose vaccine mandates if they feel it is in the best interests of their membership. And some clubs might have venues that impose a vaccine mandate. Goodness only knows what Chris is on about. My club (North Shore CC) currently does not have a vaccine mandate, though the committee might decide we should have one for any open tournaments we run. Nothing to do with NZCF.
    Covid-19 (updated advice 14.03.22)

NZCF Council advises approval of NZCF official tournaments and Open tournaments only if CVC compliant, in all regions designated by Government as 'Red', 'Orange' or 'Green' under the Covid-19 Protection Framework. Wearing of masks is recommended.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBurns View Post

NZCF Council advises approval of NZCF official tournaments and Open tournaments only if CVC compliant, in all regions designated by Government as 'Red', 'Orange' or 'Green' under the Covid-19 Protection Framework. Wearing of masks is recommended.
    This from Wellington Easter tournament entry form.
    Vaccination Certificates will be required for players over 12 years old.
    Current New Zealand Covid 19 regulations/policies will apply. This means it is possible the tournament will have to be cancelled. We ask that players understand the difficulties in staging events during the pandemic.

I still don't see your problem, Chris. NZCF asks tournament organisers to obey the law of the land (which currently means a vaccine mandate is optional, not compulsory). Wellington Chess Club chooses to operate a vaccine mandate for its event. It so happens that North Shore CC insists on masks for everyone. I don't know what other clubs are doing!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by heligan View Post
    I still don't see your problem, Chris. NZCF asks tournament organisers to obey the law of the land (which currently means a vaccine mandate is optional, not compulsory). Wellington Chess Club chooses to operate a vaccine mandate for its event. It so happens that North Shore CC insists on masks for everyone. I don't know what other clubs are doing!

I suppose it’s the words “only if CVC compliant” I assume CVC definition has not changed which means Vaccine passes are still compulsory. Maybe the wording should change to reflect that clubs can implement it voluntarily .

CVC changes all the time; it is clubs who are responsible for checking and obeying rules (sometimes, with instruction from their venue managers). The only thing NZCF can do is dictate whether or not they will rate tournaments. Currently NZCF has no restriction on rating - that's all it says. NZCF was previously declining to rate under Red, but that restriction was removed for internal club events a long time ago, and for all events a few weeks ago. My club committee does not, in general, look to NZCF for Covid advice - we look to the rules published by the government. However, it is up to the committee of any club to decide how to run events and whether to open at all. It is not NZCF's decision.

CC FIDE Master
    NZCF Council has not met since either the change to Orange or the other CPF changes, and accordingly has not an opportunity to discuss them. Being long weekends with chess tournaments and school holidays currently, the next meeting is not planned for a few weeks.

Looking at some tournament entry forms and club announcements online, at least some think standard CVC compliance doesn't go far enough in that they are requiring vaccine passes and not allowing exemptions (as far as the CPF goes, juniors under 12 are CVC compliant by definition so can't get vaccine passes), so one assumes even if/when NZCF drops any requirements, some clubs will continue to maintain them either because the club wants to or the venue requires it.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    NZCF Council has not met since either the change to Orange or the other CPF changes, and accordingly has not an opportunity to discuss them. Being long weekends with chess tournaments and school holidays currently, the next meeting is not planned for a few weeks.

Looking at some tournament entry forms and club announcements online, at least some think standard CVC compliance doesn't go far enough in that they are requiring vaccine passes and not allowing exemptions (as far as the CPF goes, juniors under 12 are CVC compliant by definition so can't get vaccine passes), so one assumes even if/when NZCF drops any requirements, some clubs will continue to maintain them either because the club wants to or the venue requires it.
    Thanks for the clarification, my mistake was assuming that CVC definition in regards to Vaccine passes was permanent but now realise that it changes with the traffic light system. Under Red setting it seems that organisers have no choice but to implement the Vaccine pass, but under Orange/Green it is optional. I feel for the organisers that make these events possible as you don’t know what colour NZ will be in when the event starts. Hopefully NZ doesn’t go back to Red again.

CC Candidate Master
    Looking at some tournament entry forms and club announcements online, at least some think standard CVC compliance doesn't go far enough in that they are requiring vaccine passes and not allowing exemptions (as far as the CPF goes, juniors under 12 are CVC compliant by definition so can't get vaccine passes), so one assumes even if/when NZCF drops any requirements, some clubs will continue to maintain them either because the club wants to or the venue requires it.,
    Well if that’s the case and they don’t make masks compulsory then those organisers need their head read.

CC FIDE Master
    Just following up, NZCF Council met recently and agreed to remove requirements for NZCF or open tournaments to be CVC-compliant. Masks are recommended but not required.

As above, decisions on these can still be made by individual clubs and organisers as they see fit (within the bounds of the law, obviously).
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Thread Information