View Poll Results: Who will win? (This poll asks who you think will win, not who you want to win)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coalition >25 seat majority

0 0%
  • Coalition 11-25 seat majority

0 0%
  • Coalition 1-9 seat majority

4 33.33%
  • Coalition minority gov

1 8.33%
  • Labor minority gov

0 0%
  • Labor 1-9 seat majority

4 33.33%
  • Labor 11-25 seat majority

3 25.00%
  • Labor >25 seat majority

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Probably one of the worst policies I have ever seen in my life - will only make it easier for people with no money to buy houses and hence drive up property prices and rentals even more.
    Prices are getting high even for ''people with money''. The Labor alternative can potentially put people into even more debt. If middle class with 10-15 years of super are ''people with money'' isn't it good that they can buy houses?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Less than a week to go until Morrison and his cronies are kicked out of office. If the polling is accurate it could be a reasonable size victory for Labor.
    and what will be the result of it? Money channeled towards giving people fish insteand of making them fish effectively?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    and what will be the result of it? Money channeled towards giving people fish insteand of making them fish effectively?
    Sometimes you have to help people. Life is not fair, not everyone gets the same opportunities in life and those who would otherwise be discarded need help.

Looks like Labor wants to fight inflation by increasing minimal pay....typical Labor
    If all employers passed on to their customers a 5.1% minimum wage increase, prices would increase by 1.85%. If the economy can't afford that much of an increase, it is in much worse shape than we have been led to believe

Corporate chiefs should back wage hikes - because cheating customers ain’t smart business

Prices are getting high even for ''people with money''. The Labor alternative can potentially put people into even more debt. If middle class with 10-15 years of super are ''people with money'' isn't it good that they can buy houses?
    ‘Debilitating effect’: AustralianSuper boss hits out at PM’s housing plan

The chair of the country’s largest superannuation fund has warned that the Coalition’s super-for-housing policy will reduce investment returns and push up house prices. ...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Sometimes you have to help people. Life is not fair, not everyone gets the same opportunities in life and those who would otherwise be discarded need help.
    What if you keep helping people...and it discourages them from helping themselves? This is why help should be targeted at assisting them to improve themselves and their lives rather than simply give handouts. For instance, there are some cases where health improvement can be achieved through healthy diet and regular exercise. People should be provided with this information and if there are no medical conditions that stop them from exercising provided with free/cheap nutritionist services and references to exercise groups etc. Rather than subsidised gastroscopy's procedures. Money should go where the change is. And if people are unwilling to change - no money should go to them in the first place .

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    If all employers passed on to their customers a 5.1% minimum wage increase, prices would increase by 1.85%. If the economy can't afford that much of an increase, it is in much worse shape than we have been led to believe

Corporate chiefs should back wage hikes - because cheating customers ain’t smart business

And it is also an interference with the market forces. If employers have to pay more...what about costs of goods/services they produce? Mind you, the very concept of minimal wage does not apply to people who deliver top value. So if people deliver outstanding value, they can always get an increase. If they can not get an increase...means this is the value! For instance. If I request university to pay me more and they refuse. I can walk out.

And it is also an interference with the market forces.
    As is increasing the gap between living expenses and income, reducing spending a widening the poverty gap.

If employers have to pay more...what about costs of goods/services they produce?
    The wages component of those costs also increases. However that component is only 25% of the costs, plus the wage component of increases in supplier input. Total 1.85% from a 5.1% minimum wage increase.

Mind you, the very concept of minimal wage does not apply to people who deliver top value. So if people deliver outstanding value, they can always get an increase. If they can not get an increase...means this is the value! For instance. If I request university to pay me more and they refuse. I can walk out.
    Dream on. Low-income earners are at the mercy of employers in this age of declining union power and collective bargaining. Even though there is a labour shortage, employers are not offering higher wages. Which is counterproductive - higher wages means more spending and better business for everyone.

CC International Master
    Well those climate people may be good at science, not so much geography. I just received a leaflet from the Tasmanian Climate Collective advising me how to vote in Bass, an electorate around 90km from my front door.

Fortunately they at least got the right state so the Senate is the same.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Well those climate people may be good at science, not so much geography. I just received a leaflet from the Tasmanian Climate Collective advising me how to vote in Bass, an electorate around 90km from my front door.

Fortunately they at least got the right state so the Senate is the same.
    LOL. I must say their Economics is not far ahead of their Geography....

CC Grandmaster
    As is increasing the gap between living expenses and income, reducing spending a widening the poverty gap.

The wages component of those costs also increases. However that component is only 25% of the costs, plus the wage component of increases in supplier input. Total 1.85% from a 5.1% minimum wage increase.

Dream on. Low-income earners are at the mercy of employers in this age of declining union power and collective bargaining. Even though there is a labour shortage, employers are not offering higher wages. Which is counterproductive - higher wages means more spending and better business for everyone.
    Several problems with it: 1)increasing minimal wage is supposed to trigger increases for those who currently earn more than the minimal wage as they are currently considered to be delivering better value. For example I currently get paid 5 dollars more than Scott. You increase John's pay (not based in his improving output or percieved output but purely due to that increase)...what is going to happen to my salary? will the employer lose me...or will he give me a raise? There will inevitably be some chain reaction.
    2) If there is labor shortage - employers have to offer higher wages...or not operate. If they find people to accept there is no labour shortage. If people accept jobs that nobody else wants to do, it means at least percieved (if not real) value of their work is low.

Several problems with it: 1)increasing minimal wage is supposed to trigger increases for those who currently earn more than the minimal wage ... There will inevitably be some chain reaction.
    Of course there will be a flow-on. There always is after minimum wage increases. If workers like you are employed under enterprise bargaining agreements, the minimum wage increase provides inarguable grounds for a corresponding increase in your agreement.

Last year's flow-on is explained here

2) If there is labor shortage - employers have to offer higher wages...or not operate. If they find people to accept there is no labour shortage. If people accept jobs that nobody else wants to do, it means at least percieved (if not real) value of their work is low.
    The fact remains that most employers are not offering higher wages, but only complain about the labour shortage

Alpha-beta soup
    Thank God someone has finally identified Scott Morrison’s real problem with women! It’s not that his government has consistently legislated in a way that undermines women’s safety and equality (only one Coalition candidate has committed to taking action for women’s safety if elected, despite more than 400 other candidates undertaking to do so). It’s not that we can’t seem to go a week without learning that one of Morrison’s ministers is a bully or a “rape scepticist”. It’s not even that the PM has repeatedly sided with alleged abusers, or made comments that reveal his revoltingly patriarchal world views. No, according to an AFR op-ed published overnight it is that the traditional strongman that Morrison represents has “fallen out of fashion”, while victimhood is on the rise. Right-wing think-tank director Graham Young writes that Morrison is a “patriarchal alpha male”, while Anthony Albanese is “a loyal feminist beta male”, in a theory that wouldn’t feel out of place on Reddit.

The “alpha male” op-ed has been met with derision on social media, with some noting that it feels more like “reading an incel subreddit” than a major national newspaper. Putting aside for one second the notion that the man who ran off to Hawaii during the bushfires and later claimed he didn’t “hold a hose” is in fact a strong leader, the idea that Morrison is an “alpha” and Albanese is a “beta” is steeped in toxic masculinity. The column implies that the Opposition leader is a man who women feel sorry for (yes, Albanese’s beloved mum gets a mention, in a point that feels very reminiscent of 2019), while Scott “high-vis” Morrison is a Real Man. (Exactly where women’s leadership fits into Young’s theory is unclear.) ...

CC Grandmaster
    The fact remains that most employers are not offering higher wages, but only complain about the labour shortage
    Real wages fell by about 3% in the March quarter, continuing the trend of falling real wages.

CC Grandmaster
    Of course there will be a flow-on. There always is after minimum wage increases. If workers like you are employed under enterprise bargaining agreements, the minimum wage increase provides inarguable grounds for a corresponding increase in your agreement.

Last year's flow-on is explained here

I do not need such ''assistance'' with my bargaining . I would rather have my ''dollar'' buying more. And keep on bargaining for increases based on value delivered anyway . In fact I do not bargain a great deal, I just explain how much I would like to get paid and the client/employer/organisation can see if they want to keep talking....likewise when I am approached with an offer...I see if i am interested and if its a good project but pay is below what I would take for it, inform them. Its more like light-hearted and relaxed negotiations rather than bargaining. I never demand anything.

Thread Information