Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    210

    The last time our Olympiad Teams played a "Friendly" match against OS?

    Trying to complete my list of Queenslanders who have played for Australia in team's events or even training events.
    I am guessing it would be the 90s. Seem to recall we may have played some sort of telechess match against the Poms. Could be wrong.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    Trying to complete my list of Queenslanders who have played for Australia in team's events or even training events.
    I am guessing it would be the 90s. Seem to recall we may have played some sort of telechess match against the Poms. Could be wrong.
    Maybe more success on a Pom site. Lloyd Fell and Peter Parr would have been certs to know.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Maybe more success on a Pom site. Lloyd Fell and Peter Parr would have been certs to know.
    Thanks for that. Not much info anywhere. Found this below,

    Ahmedabad World Youth Chess Olympiad 2017: Parle Reports
    excerpt from a report by Hughston Parle from the Gardiner Chess website.

    “The next morning most of the team met each other for the first time for the opening ceremony. Speaking to other teams, most found it ridiculous that an international representative team only met each other the day before Round 1 starts.
    Many countries with the support of their chess federations, especially at the very top had been training with their team for this tournament months in advance.
    For their top juniors, 8hr training days is not unusual.”

    This just has to be the saddest thing I have ever read about Australian Chess, excluding obituaries.

    I’m guessing the adult Olympiad Teams are just the same.

    Wow!

    Major sporting organizations are built around their TEAMS.

    Australian chess is built around……………..

    Same old, same old. Weekenders, rating prizes, drop the clients at Year 11/12. What part of "it is not working" does Australian Chess not understand?

    Forget this, "we are all individuals rubbish" and lets get started on rebuilding Australian Chess.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    Thanks for that. Not much info anywhere. Found this below,

    Ahmedabad World Youth Chess Olympiad 2017: Parle Reports
    excerpt from a report by Hughston Parle from the Gardiner Chess website.

    “The next morning most of the team met each other for the first time for the opening ceremony. Speaking to other teams, most found it ridiculous that an international representative team only met each other the day before Round 1 starts.
    Many countries with the support of their chess federations, especially at the very top had been training with their team for this tournament months in advance.
    For their top juniors, 8hr training days is not unusual.”

    This just has to be the saddest thing I have ever read about Australian Chess, excluding obituaries.

    I’m guessing the adult Olympiad Teams are just the same.

    Wow!

    Major sporting organizations are built around their TEAMS.

    Australian chess is built around……………..

    Same old, same old. Weekenders, rating prizes, drop the clients at Year 11/12. What part of "it is not working" does Australian Chess not understand?

    Forget this, "we are all individuals rubbish" and lets get started on rebuilding Australian Chess.
    This has been going on for years. Yes, no sponsorship here.
    But to be fair, many ''clients'' drop away when reaching year 11/12 around the globe. People everywhere want jobs and careers (mostly) so do not pin hopes on prof chess careers.
    Also, even bigger drops occur upon uni graduations. Uni students still play alot.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #5
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This has been going on for years. Yes, no sponsorship here.
    But to be fair, many ''clients'' drop away when reaching year 11/12 around the globe. People everywhere want jobs and careers (mostly) so do not pin hopes on prof chess careers.
    Also, even bigger drops occur upon uni graduations. Uni students still play alot.
    People continue to miss the points I am trying to make.

    1.Sponsorship –

    Copy all the successful Teams Sports and make our “TEAMS” the highest level of our game.
    Give them a media friendly version of the game to play and we will get TV time.
    Darts, Snooker, Poker? Our sport has a much wider base, is cheaper to play and is proven to be just as TV friendly, with the correct format.

    National Level
    1.Olympiad Open Team
    2.Olympiad Women’s Team
    3.Olympiad Youth Team

    State Level
    1.State Open Team
    2.State Female Team
    3.State Junior Team

    Make that the “Australian Chess Business Plan” and we will be knocking back advertisers because we have a fantastic product that is literally played by millions.
    We don’t need sponsorship. That is for starving people in drought-stricken areas.

    2.”Clients drop away” –
    They are dropping away to online chess. They are not just giving up the sport because they have a dickie knee.
    Why were they playing in the first place? For a lot of parents, see the Qld. U/8s from last year, it is because they want their kids to mix with the smartest kids in the school.
    And chess provides that brilliantly – up to Year11/12.

    And then – all fall down.

    Now we are going to play a different game called “weekenders” where most of the smart kids don’t go.
    They are too busy building a career or business.
    They don’t have weekends to waste. And so, they go online – and stay there – because online gives the client what they want.
    Slow OTB gives clients the game that Lasker wanted -the game that Steinitz wanted.

    I want a good percentage of Year 11/12s who play chess to know that they have a team waiting for them when they get their life set up.
    Bridge players I am sure drop out for a few years after school but always know that there is a team waiting for them.

    Why can’t chess players play for their school team for the rest of their life.
    Or play for their corporate team. Why not Lawyers Teams? Why not Medical Teams.
    Play OTB 3 times per year in a fantastic venue.

    Why can’t Australian Chess manage (at a profit) the Teams Competitions for the doctors and lawyers etc.?

    I notice your FIDE rating is 2331. Kudos. I can imagine the amount of work you put into getting that rating.

    Does it rile you that you don’t have a National Teams event in which to play?

    You can always go to England or Portugal or Germany or Spain or about another 10 countries with National Teams events to play.
    But why should you have to?

    We pay our top players nothing to represent their country.
    We pay our top players nothing to play for the Nations best Teams. (We don’t have any)
    We pay our administrators nothing for using a broken Business Model to administer chess in Australia.

    By building up Alumni Teams over 5 or 10 years, people are going to have somewhere to play the OTB chess they want to play.

    And in the future, they are going to be allowed to bring in “Hired Guns” on Board 1 or Board 2, players such as yourself.

    Paid for playing your sport well in Australia. Has any other sport tried it?
    Last edited by Kerry Corker; 26-01-2022 at 02:56 PM.

  6. #6
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,434
    Please define "a media friendly version of the game"

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Please define "a media friendly version of the game"
    Easy question:
    We have already covered this.

    “Chess Quest” – 6 kids from a Qld. school v 6 kids from a southern school.
    Consultation game – 3 minutes for the game, no increments. Screaming school mates in the studio audience.
    “Take the rook, take the rook.”

    It’s the Captain’s call. They make the move. Stockfish is watching.
    If the Captain gets it wrong according to Stockfish twice in a row, new Captain! On your time!
    The clock is ticking down. Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Two commentators, one female, one male.
    They are always disagreeing and rubbishing each-others suggestions. All in good fun of course.
    I already have a couple of players from Qld in mind.

    Potential advertisers – any educational institution trying to attract the best minds.
    Head hunting legal, accounting, software, investment firms.

    All played in the arvo when the kids get home from school.
    “Did you see CQ yesterday? Those commentators are pyscho!”

    Also of course Mastermind, plus Uni. Challenge with chess. Easy question.

    Easy question:
    Are RSL clubs a viable venue? Answer –

    Ask the chess club that meets at Tewantin RSL every week.
    Ask the chess club that meets at Rooty Hill RSL every week.
    Ask the chess club that meets at St George Leagues Club each week.

    Difficult question:
    How do you get the Titanic to avoid the iceberg?

    Later in the year, Saturday August 6th– covid permitting – the smartest chess brains that have gone over to,
    and stayed online will make a brief OTB appearance on Burleigh Beach to meet, greet and play a bit of Chess.
    I am hoping to pick their brains about what can be done to resurrect Australian Chess from a Business perspective.
    What Model do we follow, Soccer, Netball, AFL, AFLW.
    This demographic knows the BUSINESS WORLD. It is where they MAKE their money.

    Easy question:
    How do you get your State Calendar of events posted before February?

    Answer:
    Send it to me. On the Redcliffe Chess Club website you will find featured, 3 calendars:

    RCC
    CAQ Inc.
    GCCC Inc.

    Difficult question:

    The last adults left playing slow OTB in Australia, “The Lost 400” are my target demographic.
    How do I convince them to renounce their beliefs and come over to the Business World, e.g. Teams Sports?
    They are a part of “The Lost 400” because they want to be.
    They are not there by accident.
    They actually like having no media, no National Teams, no State Teams, no National Coach. God, how they love it so.

    Answer:
    Do you consider yourself part of the solution, or part of the problem?
    Last edited by Kerry Corker; 27-01-2022 at 08:29 AM.

  8. #8
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    Easy question:
    We have already covered this.

    “Chess Quest” – 6 kids from a Qld. school v 6 kids from a southern school.
    Consultation game – 3 minutes for the game, no increments. Screaming school mates in the studio audience.
    “Take the rook, take the rook.”

    It’s the Captain’s call. They make the move. Stockfish is watching.
    If the Captain gets it wrong according to Stockfish twice in a row, new Captain! On your time!
    The clock is ticking down. Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Two commentators, one female, one male.
    They are always disagreeing and rubbishing each-others suggestions. All in good fun of course.
    I already have a couple of players from Qld in mind.

    Potential advertisers – any educational institution trying to attract the best minds.
    Head hunting legal, accounting, software, investment firms.

    All played in the arvo when the kids get home from school.
    “Did you see CQ yesterday? Those commentators are pyscho!”

    Also of course Mastermind, plus Uni. Challenge with chess. Easy question.

    Easy question:
    Are RSL clubs a viable venue? Answer –

    Ask the chess club that meets at Tewantin RSL every week.
    Ask the chess club that meets at Rooty Hill RSL every week.
    Ask the chess club that meets at St George Leagues Club each week.

    Difficult question:
    How do you get the Titanic to avoid the iceberg?

    Later in the year, Saturday August 6th– covid permitting – the smartest chess brains that have gone over to,
    and stayed online will make a brief OTB appearance on Burleigh Beach to meet, greet and play a bit of Chess.
    I am hoping to pick their brains about what can be done to resurrect Australian Chess from a Business perspective.
    What Model do we follow, Soccer, Netball, AFL, AFLW.
    This demographic knows the BUSINESS WORLD. It is where they MAKE their money.

    Easy question:
    How do you get your State Calendar of events posted before February?

    Answer:
    Send it to me. On the Redcliffe Chess Club website you will find featured, 3 calendars:

    RCC
    CAQ Inc.
    GCCC Inc.

    Difficult question:

    The last adults left playing slow OTB in Australia, “The Lost 400” are my target demographic.
    How do I convince them to renounce their beliefs and come over to the Business World, e.g. Teams Sports?
    They are a part of “The Lost 400” because they want to be.
    They are not there by accident.
    They actually like having no media, no National Teams, no State Teams, no National Coach. God, how they love it so.

    Answer:
    Do you consider yourself part of the solution, or part of the problem?
    It might be an easy question in your view but I think the answer you have given is terrible.

    3 minute consultation games would be far too quick, all you will do is confuse people. No one, not even better chess players, will be able to follow the games. It just will be a confusing chaos that nobody would watch. It would be a mockery of chess.

    Using Stockfish would make it even more confusing for little to no gain in anything.

    Consultation games is a good idea but slower games so that people following can understand what is happening and commentators have a chance to explain what is happening.

    People are going to want to know why certain moves were not played, commentators can explain this as well.

    I don't believe your ideas are a solution for you to be able to ask people whether they are part of the solution or part of the problem.

    Come up with some workable ideas and I will support them.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    It might be an easy question in your view but I think the answer you have given is terrible.

    3 minute consultation games would be far too quick, all you will do is confuse people. No one, not even better chess players, will be able to follow the games. It just will be a confusing chaos that nobody would watch. It would be a mockery of chess.

    Using Stockfish would make it even more confusing for little to no gain in anything.

    Consultation games is a good idea but slower games so that people following can understand what is happening and commentators have a chance to explain what is happening.

    People are going to want to know why certain moves were not played, commentators can explain this as well.

    I don't believe your ideas are a solution for you to be able to ask people whether they are part of the solution or part of the problem.

    Come up with some workable ideas and I will support them.
    People actually enjoy following blitz games - even at 1200 level!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #10
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    People actually enjoy following blitz games - even at 1200 level!
    3 mins, 5 mins, whatever the media wants. If it works on kids afternoon tv, why not try an adult version at night.
    Used to see poker and snooker and darts on mainstream tv.
    Why not Chess?

  11. #11
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    People actually enjoy following blitz games - even at 1200 level!
    Kerry's suggestion is a lot different to a competative chess player following a blitz game.

    I think of my father, who is around 1000 strength and has never played competitively, he would have no hope of following what Kerry is suggesting and he is a lot stronger than most of the audience who would be targetted by a program he is suggesting. It would all be just noise and a blur. I just don't think people would watch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Olympiad teams through time
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Australian Chess History
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 28-08-2021, 02:05 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-03-2019, 05:14 PM
  3. Use of the term "Excellency" (sf Asian Club Teams)
    By MichaelBaron in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
  4. First it was "ClimateGate", now its "CO2 Tax Fraud"
    By Spiny Norman in forum Politics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 11:30 PM
  5. ACF "Rapid" vs "Classic"
    By Spiny Norman in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-11-2005, 06:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •