CC Candidate Master

Chess Teams Tourism Its back!

Moderator: This is not an advertisement. I have received no monies for mentioning this event. Shoulda tho!

Not another one of Kerry’s Crazy ideas? Put it in the “it will never work basket”.

FULL PAGE COLOR AD IN NIC 8/2021. Alireza on the cover.

ACO World Super Senior (65+) Championship
    27 April – 6 May, 2022
    Kos, Greece

Kos, one of Greece’s Dodecanese islands, is known for its abundant sandy beaches. It’s also rich with Greek and Roman landmarks, particularly in and around Kos Town. This harbor town is dominated by the 15th-century Neratzia Castle. South of the castle are the Ancient Agora ruins, with a temple, shrine and columns. The 3rd-century Casa Romana villa has lavish mosaics. ― Google

Venue: 5 star All-Inclusive Atlantica Belvedere Resort. Apparently, no school rooms were available.

Trainer on Site: GM Danny King

Further ACO events 2022:

World Amateur Championships 6-15th May – Kos, Greece, same venue

World Amateur Teams Championships 1-10th June - Crete

Amateur Open 29th July – 7 August Duabi

World Senior (50+) Championships 1st Sept. to 10th Sept. – Crete

World Senior Teams Championships 22 Sept. to 31st Sept. – Kos, Greece, same venue.

I contacted FIDE earlier last year and suggested they might move their Olympiads to more tourist friendly venues.
    They replied, very promptly with words to the effect that –

“Way ahead of you dude! The next Olympiad is in, wait for it – MOSCOW!”

I could swear that I heard those trumpets again. Who is playing them?

Why are ACO focusing on the older chess demographics?

1.They are loaded with mullah.
    2.They take cruise trips to reduce their assets so that they can get the pension. The trips are virtually free over the life of their pension

Now send in all the reasons why Chess Teams Tourism could not work in Australia.

Be careful not to mention anything positive about the idea.

Confirmation Bias must be adhered to.
    Otherwise, we’ll be discussing new ideas to get us out of this mess.

Segue: How come there are not more Queenslanders in the Olympiad Team?
    We wus robbed!

CC International Master
    Chess tourism has worked in this area of the world when the Queenstown tournament was on in New Zealand but that was not a teams event.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Chess tourism has worked in this area of the world when the Queenstown tournament was on in New Zealand but that was not a teams event.
    ACO appear to be going to make money from both. And why not?
    This is business opportunity that has been screaming out, "pick me, pick me" for years before Covid.
    Did Australia pick up the ball? What ball? I didn't see a ball. What tourist venues do we have that could rival Kos anyway?

I have never said Teams was the only way.

What I have said is that putting all our eggs in one basket, weekenders, is not going to be good for anyone. It is a PROVEN dead end.

For proof, just look at the results of our National Teams Comp. How is our Youth Olympiad Team going in its Friendly Matches with OS?

Did our Olympiad Team win our Friendly against Indonesia? Whoops, that was soccer.

Yes, the Teams and Individual events will bring the family to somewhere like Queenstown, or GC or Kos.

One partner plays chess, the other tours around the Greek Islands with the kids.

Families to Moscow, hmmm, Nah, pass. Flying friendly skies with FIDE.

Tourist dollars. Should we shun them? Discuss.

Hopefully ACO really clean up with these events and then they come to Australia and run events here for us.
    And then they can take all the profits back home with them. We don't appear to want them.

Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Kerry Corker; 22-01-2022 at 03:44 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    I was actually in Crete in March 2020 when COVID started closing airports (and countries) all over Europe. Would be nice to have an excuse to get back there.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Combining the senior chess tourism and cruise ideas, why not have a chess tournament cruise ship?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    Combining the senior chess tourism and cruise ideas, why not have a chess tournament cruise ship?
    I truly believe that we have only scratched the surface in "monetizing" chess.
    Think of the steam car or horseless carriage, and that is where chess "money" is now.
    Over 50s Chess Tourism alone, without TV can be worth a fortune. All that Super Money. Mmm.

Museums that have VR tours of their buildings report an uptick in physical people through the turnstiles.
    So when you walk around the Tata Steel tournament next year, using your VR glasses, you might look out the window and think,
    "I might bring the family here next time and see the sites as well".

They are already doing this to some extent. Someone walks around with a 3D camera strapped to their head and visits all the boards.
    You are right there when someone makes that brilliant sac in time trouble. And, Alekhine is whispering in your ear," Unsound".
    Maybe its just an Avatar - depends how deep VR goes.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheroff View Post
    I was actually in Crete in March 2020 when COVID started closing airports (and countries) all over Europe. Would be nice to have an excuse to get back there.
    And that is why Backpackers are so important.
    20 years later when the boss is asking where the team would like to spend their bonus vacation for doing such a good job -
    Some former Backpacker pipes up and says, "I spent a couple of weeks on Burleigh Beach back in the 20s. It is Paradise."
    And Bingo, you no longer have Backpacker money, you have mid-30s, no kids, money, almost as good as Hermit money.

That is why it was such a moronic idea to tax them so they would go somewhere else.

"Would be nice to have an excuse to get back there", sounds like a Don Draper original!

Norfolk Island, etc., Queenstown etc.

Chess Tourism and the economies it creates is already a part of the world economy. The penny is yet to drop in Australia.

GM Danny King helping some old geezers avoid Scholar's Mate for ACO (Amateur Chess Organisation) is probably not what he envisaged as a teenager.
    But the money is goooood!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    And that is why Backpackers are so important.
    20 years later when the boss is asking where the team would like to spend their bonus vacation for doing such a good job -
    Some former Backpacker pipes up and says, "I spent a couple of weeks on Burleigh Beach back in the 20s. It is Paradise."
    And Bingo, you no longer have Backpacker money, you have mid-30s, no kids, money, almost as good as Hermit money.

That is why it was such a moronic idea to tax them so they would go somewhere else.

"Would be nice to have an excuse to get back there", sounds like a Don Draper original!

Norfolk Island, etc., Queenstown etc.

Chess Tourism and the economies it creates is already a part of the world economy. The penny is yet to drop in Australia.

GM Danny King helping some old geezers avoid Scholar's Mate for ACO (Amateur Chess Organisation) is probably not what he envisaged as a teenager.
    But the money is goooood!
    You are correct about backpackers and schoolies returning. That made byron bay very popular. A shame not much chess here when they come but will rapidly change
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I've just been reading the April 2006 issue of Chess Life (old issues are available as free downloads from the USCF website), and there is a report on exactly that. It was run by Geek Cruises, which appears to be still going, but doesn't seem to offer chess cruises currently.

Thread Information