Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Adelaide University Open 2005

Dear All,

An advance notice that the Adelaide University Chess Club, now headed by new President Alex Saint, will be running the Cat 3 Grand Prix Adelaide University Open on the 9th and 10th of July, 2005. The event will be held in the University of Adelaide's Union Building, and will have total prizes of $4000.

To further elevate the status of event, we have included an U/1600 tournament with $1500 prizes, the PAC Chess Challenge. Again we will put on a buffet dinner, provide table tennis, movies, free refresments, entertainment and a transfer tournament. We still boast what some would term "rediculously low entry fees" with entry to the PAC Chess Challenge being $40 Adult, $30 Concession, and to the Open $50 Adult, $40 Concession. We are being given strong consideration as an NECG event, and are offering $200 and $100 guarantee against prizes for GMs and IMs respectively. Again we have a junior teams option. More details at www.unichess.org

Any queries welcome. Kind Regards, Andrew & Alex Saint

CC Candidate Master
    Dear All,

The AUCC are wondering whether we should add a chinese chess competition to our 2005 University Open. It certainly seems to be a popular at our University, with many students asking us to buy some sets which we have done for this year (they only cost $5 in China). We could run it very much like a normal chess tournament, but I would have to investigate further if we decided to implement this.

Cheers, Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by adelandre
    Dear All,

The AUCC are wondering whether we should add a chinese chess competition to our 2005 University Open. It certainly seems to be a popular at our University, with many students asking us to buy some sets which we have done for this year (they only cost $5 in China). We could run it very much like a normal chess tournament, but I would have to investigate further if we decided to implement this.

Cheers, Andrew
    what is a chinese chess competition?

CC Candidate Master
    Chinese Chess is different as opposed to the conventional so called "european chess". You have a river in the middle of the board, you move on the edges of squares, you have no queen, you have a king confined to a "castle", you have pieces called "cannons" (which can only take by hopping over another piece) as well as rooks, your bishops are confined to your half of the river, and your king has two protecters. There are some finer details, but apart from that chinese chess is similar to our chess!! According to a chinese friend of mine, the game is very popular in china, with many millions knowing how to play the game, and participating in tournaments. So far the game's influence in other non-asian countries has been limited.

CC Candidate Master
    Dear All,

Just a note that the PDF of the 2005 University Open brochure is now available at www.unichess.org (this includes an entry slip).

Also, the games for the 2004 University Open are now available ( I know we're a bit late!) under "archives"

Thanks, Andrew

Add on:

Hmm, the site doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Either my connection, or I'll get alex to look into it tonight. I think the above two are also available on www.sachess.org
    Last edited by adelandre; 06-02-2005 at 03:08 PM.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Code:
    Getting NS record list at j.root-servers.net... Done!
    Looking up at the 2 org. parent servers:

Server	Response	Time
    tld1.ultradns.net [204.74.112.1]	[Reports no A record]	101ms
    tld2.ultradns.net [204.74.113.1]	[Reports no A record]	103ms

CC Candidate Master
    Dear All,

www.unichess.org has now been up and running for 4 days - Alex had forgotten to re-register the domain name.

Feel free to browse info about the 2005 Adelaide University Open and the U/1600 PAC Chess Challenge. We encourage you to enter online or print of a brochure and send in an entry. We will be sending out brochures to you in the coming months. Join the crowds flocking to Adelaide for the Adelaide Unviersity Open.

Andrew

Arbiting the Uni Open 05 is:

IA Charles Zworestine
    IA Roland Eime
    Australian Internet Chess Championships-Adults and Juniors
    www.ausnetchess.org

Quote Originally Posted by AES

IA Charles Zworestine
    IA Roland Eime
    Charles is beginning to be like the 'Eddie McGuire' of arbiting chess events.. he just pops up everywhere!
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by AES

IA Charles Zworestine
    IA Roland Eime

Great work Alex. Very good to hear.
    Scott

TO ALL GMs and IMs:

We are offering $200 gauranteed against prizemoney for the 2005 Adelaide University Open. We are very proud to offer this and we particularly want to encourage international masters

For interstate players, we want you coming as well(!), so we have kept the entry fees as low as possible. We have also provided a full buffet dinner at the venue on the Saturday night at a reduced cost.

We also have a very popular Transfer tournament which everyone loves to enter.

This Uni Open will be big- so don't miss out.

Australian Internet Chess Championships-Adults and Juniors
    www.ausnetchess.org

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    The first year and maybe second also the Sydney Easter Cup was held at Cabra-Vale Diggers an attempt was made to include Chinese chess in the SEC as Chneses chess was being already being played socially in the Club. The Club borders Cabramatta and Canley Vale which is full of Chinese Vietnamese who have their own chess cafes (the Serbs have also).

But response for Chineses chess was very poor?? The other organiser took it on not me though I am the one who can speak some Chinese.

Now after seeing full info on this tourno I realise that my Shout on the subject was not appropriate.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    The first year and maybe second also the Sydney Easter Cup was held at Cabra-Vale Diggers an attempt was made to include Chinese chess in the SEC as Chneses chess was being already being played socially in the Club. The Club borders Cabramatta and Canley Vale which is full of Chinese Vietnamese who have their own chess cafes (the Serbs have also).

But response for Chineses chess was very poor?? The other organiser took it on not me though I am the one who can speak some Chinese.

Now after seeing full info on this tourno I realise that my Shout on the subject was not appropriate.
    Your shout:
    [01-04-2005 01:55 AM] antichrist: Who is putting up the dough?? In the long term will it make it more difficult to lure them to minor comps?
    [01-04-2005 01:21 AM] AES: $200 gauranteed against prizemoney for all GMs and IMs entering the 2005 Adelaide University Open. This is going to be big.

Just to clear this up,
    we have already in the past had both GMs, 3 IMs and various FMs, WIMs and WFMs entering our tournament - the lure factor has already been there and we just want to try and further bolster the top division of the tournament. It still is however a tournament built for the "common man" with a BIG emphasis on social events and fun, with what over 10 people have told me is the best chess venue in the country, and with the best entry fee to prize money ratio for such a tournament in the country.

I know you probably were not aware that we were not a minor comp - this weekender has definately been in the top 5 weekend events over the last couple of years, and is aiming this year to become Australia's number 2 weekender - some would argue this has already been obtained.

Anyway - join us down in Adelaide, chill, have fun, play chess and enjoy the biggest and best event SA has to offer!

You play this event in that venue for the Aus Championships 2 years ago right?

AR

CC Candidate Master
    yeah, thats right AR

Although the bar is open at this time in the year and we also make use of a few more of the side rooms for table tennis, and the cinema for movies and stuff.

Thread Information