Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 55 of 55
  1. #46
    CC International Master Metro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    High praise from Carlsen. I wonder whether he can make the big step to being one of the elite players.
    Indeed.Can he continue to improve is the question.

  2. #47
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,406
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/breaki...ess-tournament

    In a press release, the organisers of the Tata Steel tournament in Wijk aan Zee, announced that "Daniil Dubov will leave the Tata Steel Chess Tournament after testing positive for the corona virus in a PCR test yesterday. This means that the results of his previous matches will stand and that Dubov will forfeit the games against the opponents he was to face in the last three rounds. They are Rapport, Praggnanandhaa and Carlsen respectively.

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Wonder what is going to happen if another 1-2 players are tested ''positive''. Recently, World Junior IceHockey championship remained unfinished.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #49
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Rappoport is in the 2nd place now half point behind Magnus. Magnus will recieve a bye in the last round against Dubov though so he is hard to catch.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #50
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Rappoport is in the 2nd place now half point behind Magnus. Magnus will recieve a bye in the last round against Dubov though so he is hard to catch.
    Yeah Magnus is in a brilliant position.

    If he beats Caruana as black he wins the tournament.
    If he draws with Caruana then Rapport has to win his last two matches against Esipenko with black and Giri as white to get to a playoff. Hard to see Rapport getting 2/2
    If he loses to Caruana, which seems unlikely as Caruana is not at his best this tournament, then Rapport could win it outright with 2/2 or Rapport, Giri and/or Mamedyarov could catch him.

    The most exciting finish would be Caruana, Rapport and Giri all winning in round 12 leaving Rapport and Giri playing each other in round 13 with both playing for a win.

  6. #51
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,457
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  7. #52
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Yeah Magnus is in a brilliant position.

    If he beats Caruana as black he wins the tournament.
    If he draws with Caruana then Rapport has to win his last two matches against Esipenko with black and Giri as white to get to a playoff. Hard to see Rapport getting 2/2
    If he loses to Caruana, which seems unlikely as Caruana is not at his best this tournament, then Rapport could win it outright with 2/2 or Rapport, Giri and/or Mamedyarov could catch him.

    The most exciting finish would be Caruana, Rapport and Giri all winning in round 12 leaving Rapport and Giri playing each other in round 13 with both playing for a win.
    The main advantages Magnus has are: 1. he doesn't have to play Magnus, and 2. he is Magnus.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  8. #53
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    The main advantages Magnus has are: 1. he doesn't have to play Magnus, and 2. he is Magnus.
    If Magnus played Magnus Magnus would try to surprise Magnus in the opening but Magnus would not care because he plays any opening better than anyone else in the world. Magnus would then try to get to a ending where Magnus had a weakness to attack but Magnus would also try to get to an ending where Magnus had a weakness to attack. Magnus and Magnus would both succeed and then push each other for 200 moves trying to expliot the weakness in each others position before simultaneously giving up and offering each other a draw.

  9. #54
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,472
    Magnus defeat Caruana with the black pieces to win Tata Steel 2022

  10. #55
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    somehow I feel that Magnus does have a chance to get to 2900 eventually if he increases his advantage conversion rate. After all, very impressive performance throughout the tournament...and could have been even more impressive score.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Tata Steel Chess Tournament Round-up and Games
    By Wallay in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM
  2. Tata Steel
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM
  3. Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2012
    By Bollard in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 31-01-2012, 02:35 PM
  4. Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2012 is the strongest ever
    By Banda in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-10-2011, 08:59 PM
  5. Tata Steel Chess 2011
    By Witty in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 31-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •