Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I thought it would be obvious to you starter.
    If some dope makes an assertion then its is up to them to provide the evidence to support it.

If I make the assertion then its up to the other person to provide evidence to disprove it.
    Bill

Yes. Thought this was your position.
    You know, I am quite getting the hang of how to read your posts.

Now Kevin, does this not convince you that Bill is an evidence-free zone?
    The post is in his own words; not mine, (that he alternates as describing as 'rubbish', or 'misleading').
    And, it finishes with a hand which indicates no further negotiation.

Please confirm I have finished your query.

regards
    starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Bill

Yes. Thought this was your position.
    You know, I am quite getting the hang of how to read your posts.

Now Kevin, does this not convince you that Bill is an evidence-free zone?
    The post is in his own words; not mine, (that he alternates as describing as 'rubbish', or 'misleading').
    And, it finishes with a hand which indicates no further negotiation.

Your summation is incorrect.

In some cases the evidence is self evident. I'll point you to where it is.
    In other cases I'll provide evidence to refute any so called evidence provided by a poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I thought it would be obvious to you starter.
    If some dope makes an assertion then its is up to them to provide the evidence to support it.

A/C:
    If the assertion is about God's existence/character then of course is it still up to them to provide the evidence to support it!

BG:
    If I make the assertion then its up to the other person to provide evidence to disprove it.
    A/C:
    But if the assertion cannot be falsified (Karl Popper like) does your assertion still hold up?

Is it up to monotheists to disprove polytheists and vice-versa?
    Last edited by antichrist; 23-01-2005 at 01:26 AM.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    A/C:
    But if the assertion cannot be falsified (Karl Popper like) does your assertion still hold up??

Is it up to monotheists to disprove polytheists and vice-versa?

---->Dis-information<---- can..mmm not prove, but make lots of people believe in anything

and.....
    Im not sure what monotheists are and polytheists are but I assume the first has one view and the second has more than one view. So I say if your happy believing what you believe in why try to make someone else unhappy by saying what they believe in is wrong. The polytheists who belives in many things should be able to accept the monotheists view as 'one of the many things'. And the monotheists should acknowledge the polythesists view and allow the polythesists to add their view to thier collection of views, and knowing thier view is correct can rest easy in know that the polythesist is safe having that view in thier collection along wif their other views.

I should have looked for the dictoinary for mono-polytheists but I think im close...anywho diplomatic me strikes again <-- thats an angel

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlin
    Im not sure what monotheists are and polytheists are but I assume the first has one view and the second has more than one view.
    Monotheist = belief in one God, Polytheist = belief in many gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlin
    So I say if your happy believing what you believe in why try to make someone else unhappy by saying what they believe in is wrong.
    I don't believe in 'making' anyone believe anything but I do believe in them having the right of choice. Therefore you should always aregue your case to people, not to try to change their beliefs but to give them the opportunity to form objective beliefs for themselves with a wider range of choices.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    You don't think I actually read all of these micro-examinations of meta-meta-nothing, do you? I just enjoy watching them, joking about them and speculating upon their survival prospects.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Well I can't say I was satisfied with the response to my post 48. It looks like Basil either didn't want to touch anything to do with me or he blew a gasket on "another debating thread". I think before he has ducked the religion question. Maybe he doesn't want to be shown as agreeing with me.

BD and KB, it is all at your fingertips -- fulfil your roll as educators.
    Last edited by antichrist; 23-01-2005 at 10:10 PM. Reason: correction

Well I can't say I was satisfied with the response to my post 48. It looks like Basil either didn't want to touch anything to do with me or he blew a gasket on "another debating thread". I think before he has ducked the religion question. Maybe he doesn't want to be shown as agreeing with me.[
    Not at all, I just have no interest in discussing it.

BD and KB, it is all at your fingertips -- fulfil your roll as educators.
    It is totally irrelevant to this thread and if you wish me to comment on it please ask the same question on a relevant thread or else start a new one.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    You don't think I actually read all of these micro-examinations of meta-meta-nothing, do you? I just enjoy watching them, joking about them and speculating upon their survival prospects.
    KB

Well you were the one who asked the question #35 on this thread.
    And Bill's definitive personal response, #45, is the only one you need to read as evidence to express an opinion.

If you are going to ask for evidence, and then not examine in any depth, and not give an opinion, then Bill is correct (on this score), I have wasted my time.

I am a bit inclined to borrow fg7's question
    "What sort of poster does that".

But Barry has since provided the name for it.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Hahaha.. how about we have a poll? I bet you'd win hands down.

Rubbish, I am the most pompous poster, I'd stake my reputation on it!

I can admit when I'm wrong - it's a quality you should try at least once. I just see no merit in ridiculous mudslinging that wastes time. Debate the issue - attacking the person simply makes you a poorer debater.
    Oh come on, show me one time when KB has ever been wrong on anything, anywhere, anytime?
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Actually I abused BD (and any look at the original thread will clearly show he was the one who started the mudthrowing, as he has so many times before) first and then afterwards thought "actually, this is really rather irrelevant, I'd better split this junk so that those who wish to get on with the original debate rather than all this rubbish can do so".
    Oh, well that's ok then!
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Danger Will Robinson Danger Danger.....I feel another thread split coming along.....The reasons you are allowed to abuse patrons is...... cmon split it again!!...after all the justification would be similar to almost any other justification adopted by moderators in the past! yes/no????

firegoat, the only thing I can feel coming on after reading your latest post is a yawn.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Danger Will Robinson Danger Danger.....I feel another thread split coming along.....The reasons you are allowed to abuse patrons is...... cmon split it again!!...after all the justification would be similar to almost any other justification adopted by moderators in the past! yes/no????
    Firegoat get up on the psycholcohists couch and tell me all about this 'things spliting and leaving your control' you can trust me im not that good at chess

Thread Information