Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Nothing has a reason in the way you seem to be using it. It all just tumbles along and happens.
    We as humans do not ''tumble along'' we make plans and try to make these plans come true. At least some of us do! And this is what makes life worth living. The very fact that we (humans) are talking about future of the planent suggests that are certainly very different from other speices that populate our planet!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Why? Seems a curiously religious-style assumption to impose on the universe. All the animalTo s that existed for hundreds of millions of years before there were humans weren't there so that we could play chess someday.
    Nothing religious about it. I believe that human life needs to have a reason...not because its providence but because spending one's life without ''reasons'' (e.g. setting and fulfilling goals) is a waste of a life.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Nothing religious about it. I believe that human life needs to have a reason...not because its providence but because spending one's life without ''reasons'' (e.g. setting and fulfilling goals) is a waste of a life.
    One can find one's own reasons and meanings and set and fulfil one's own goals. It doesn't mean the rest of the universe exists for the purpose of serving us.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    One can find one's own reasons and meanings and set and fulfil one's own goals. It doesn't mean the rest of the universe exists for the purpose of serving us.
    It could very well be the case that there are some ''higher powers'' that we are serving. But out of the fources currently known to us that we agree upon (so keeping the issues of religion aside) - humans appear to be in the pole position to decide fate of the world and try to make our planet serve us. Should there be a higher power, I would think its up to that power . But it is only natural for everyone to try to take charge. If not us, then who will?

Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    #NoHopetyOepty

Why? Seems a curiously religious-style assumption to impose on the universe. All the animals that existed for hundreds of millions of years before there were humans weren't there so that we could play chess someday.
    As someone only a bit more famous than myself once something like " that we are only a bit of bumfluff on the backside of the world".

There is a higher power that interferes in our lives - the gravitation of the moon whom we guides many of our activities and we thus serve
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC International Master
    It could very well be the case that there are some ''higher powers'' that we are serving. But out of the fources currently known to us that we agree upon (so keeping the issues of religion aside) - humans appear to be in the pole position to decide fate of the world and try to make our planet serve us. Should there be a higher power, I would think its up to that power . But it is only natural for everyone to try to take charge. If not us, then who will?
    Do you have any evidence their is a higher power that we are serving? It seems a bit far fetched to me.

Perhaps humans had to take charge but the results of taking charge have been very bad for the planet Earth.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    As someone only a bit more famous than myself once something like " that we are only a bit of bumfluff on the backside of the world".

There is a higher power that interferes in our lives - the gravitation of the moon whom we guides many of our activities and we thus serve
    I do not serve the moon nor do I believe it has the kind of impact on my life you seem to be suggesting. It also is not a higher power because it is not alive

CC Grandmaster
    Do you have any evidence their is a higher power that we are serving? It seems a bit far fetched to me.

Perhaps humans had to take charge but the results of taking charge have been very bad for the planet Earth.
    I have no evidence at all. All I am saying ''may be''. If not - then we as humans are the Highest Power of all....but got to be some higher powers...may be in a parralel universe that co-exists along with us...just in a different dimension.

But then again, if we are the highest power of all - Earth is ours - at least for now!

CC International Master
    I have no evidence at all. All I am saying ''may be''. If not - then we as humans are the Highest Power of all....but got to be some higher powers...may be in a parralel universe that co-exists along with us...just in a different dimension.

But then again, if we are the highest power of all - Earth is ours - at least for now!
    Speculation without evidence might be fun at times but it is a pointless activity.

It does appear we are the highest power on Earth, a pity that power is being used to destroy the Earth.

I do not serve the moon nor do I believe it has the kind of impact on my life you seem to be suggesting. It also is not a higher power because it is not alive
    The Earth's creatures mating habits and ocean currents are determined by the moon. I believe you have not yet involved women's monthly - I warn you expect the worst sometimes.

The ocean currents determines many behaviour habits of marine life.

The moons gravitational forces may even change liquid flows in our brains. There maybe higher instances of insanity during full moons.

That man on the moon has a lot to answer for.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

That theme of the Earth being ours reflects Biblical edicts of God ordering us out to conquer the planet including the 4 corners but not the Poles!

CC International Master
    The Earth's creatures mating habits and ocean currents are determined by the moon. I believe you have not yet involved women's monthly - I warn you expect the worst sometimes.

The ocean currents determines many behaviour habits of marine life.

The moons gravitational forces may even change liquid flows in our brains. There maybe higher instances of insanity during full moons.

That man on the moon has a lot to answer for.
    I don't think the timing of a women's menstrual cycle has anything to do with the moon

I believe studies have been done which shows the moon has no impact on mental health at the time of a full moon.

CC International Master
    That theme of the Earth being ours reflects Biblical edicts of God ordering us out to conquer the planet including the 4 corners but not the Poles!
    The corners work beautifully if you have a flat earth, but reality dismisses that idea very quickly

The corners work beautifully if you have a flat earth, but reality dismisses that idea very quickly
    With the earth rotating I don't think that corners would survive very long periods. They must round off to an extent.

Thread Information