Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,670

    Australia at war (sf COVID)

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Too much...they do not find some things funny, you know.
    We are not ''take it easy, mate'' types...some of us that is...professional ones mostly
    Likewise, not all migrants develop love for meat-pies, beer and beer-bellies and watching TV.
    Exactly. It makes no sense to foreigners (to Australians it's not supposed to make sense). Likewise the way Australia glorifies its military defeats (e.g. Gallipoli) is incomprehensible to outsiders.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Exactly. It makes no sense to foreigners (to Australians it's not supposed to make sense). Likewise the way Australia glorifies its military defeats (e.g. Gallipoli) is incomprehensible to outsiders.
    Yes ...agreed! hard to understand. May be because some other countries have been having victories along with defeats over the years ...in Australia, at the time of Gallipoli....first major defeat ...and total lack of victories...so choices were limited lol.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,863
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Yes ...agreed! hard to understand. May be because some other countries have been having victories along with defeats over the years ...in Australia, at the time of Gallipoli....first major defeat ...and total lack of victories...so choices were limited lol.
    It's sad that I almost certainly know more about Russia than you do about your adopted country The Boer War (look it up!) was a clear Australian victory. And we may have lost the battle at Gallipoli, but we definitely won that war.

  4. #4
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    It's sad that I almost certainly know more about Russia than you do about your adopted country The Boer War (look it up!) was a clear Australian victory. And we may have lost the battle at Gallipoli, but we definitely won that war.
    Imagine disagreeing with someone and mocking someone by citing a tiny "war" which basically nobody knows anything about, that holds no significance to Australians? 20,000 Australians fought in that war of the ~600,000 soldiers present on the British side. Australia served in a limited capacity in that war, compared to 416,809 in ww1, and close to a million in ww2 and roughly 60 thousand in Vietnam. Why you think this is a big "Gotcha" is beyond me.

    Why is this thread Michael Baron vs the world?

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    It's sad that I almost certainly know more about Russia than you do about your adopted country The Boer War (look it up!) was a clear Australian victory. And we may have lost the battle at Gallipoli, but we definitely won that war.
    I am actually sad, I know so much about Australia. Some things better not to know...and they easily get forgotten...certainly in Australia they do . But not sure what this entire discussion got to do with Covid anyway. Other than may be...that some people easily get brainwashed about various facts and events.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I am actually sad, I know so much about Australia. Some things better not to know...and they easily get forgotten...certainly in Australia they do . But not sure what this entire discussion got to do with Covid anyway. Other than may be...that some people easily get brainwashed about various facts and events.
    P.S. Just like with chess...important to look at the key points and they key point is: Gallipoli was a loss. So celebrating it is no different in some ways than Japan celebrating loss in the WW2. After all we can argue that Japanese economic rise started with the 'rebuilding''.
    P.S2. As an expert on Australian History - may be you could remind me when was the last time Austrlaia won a war by itself...not in aliance with big brothers but by all by itself. Must have been some kind of military confrontation with Samoa or Vanuatu or Puke-Puke Islands.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    Imagine disagreeing with someone and mocking someone by citing a tiny "war" which basically nobody knows anything about, that holds no significance to Australians? 20,000 Australians fought in that war of the ~600,000 soldiers present on the British side. Australia served in a limited capacity in that war, compared to 416,809 in ww1, and close to a million in ww2 and roughly 60 thousand in Vietnam. Why you think this is a big "Gotcha" is beyond me.

    Why is this thread Michael Baron vs the world?
    Good question why it is Michael Baron vs. The world. Michael Baron is certainly entertained by it (or so he told me last time I've spoken to Michael). Even better question: why a very reasonable query on pros and cons of curfews (that in my view - are nothing but an attempt to treat people like sheep who are ot obey their scheperds) results in discussion of war? Must be that ''great fighting spirit of Gallipoli''.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #8
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Good question why it is Michael Baron vs. The world. Michael Baron is certainly entertained by it (or so he told me last time I've spoken to Michael). Even better question: why a very reasonable query on pros and cons of curfews (that in my view - are nothing but an attempt to treat people like sheep who are ot obey their scheperds) results in discussion of war? Must be that ''great fighting spirit of Gallipoli''.
    Because politics has become fanatical religion. Especially for left leaning positions.

    By even so much as suggesting the government did something wrong, you have become a heretic blasphemer.

    Even if there was evidence that lockdowns were actually indeed worse than the virus itself, you would be a racist nazi for pointing that out.

    Doesn't matter if you're Jewish, or black, or in an interracial relationship, someone will still scream NAZI at you. Heck, you could have fought against the Nazis in ww2, you'd still be called one... Like Winston Churchill has been...

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,863
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Good question why it is Michael Baron vs. The world. Michael Baron is certainly entertained by it (or so he told me last time I've spoken to Michael). Even better question: why a very reasonable query on pros and cons of curfews (that in my view - are nothing but an attempt to treat people like sheep who are ot obey their scheperds) results in discussion of war? Must be that ''great fighting spirit of Gallipoli''.
    We're only discussing war because you failed to understand an obvious piece of satire about Peter Dutton, which resulted in a discussion of the Aussie sense of humor. You then made an obviously false claim about Australia's war record.

    Has Michael Baron noticed that he is the cause of almost all thread derailments

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    Imagine disagreeing with someone and mocking someone by citing a tiny "war" which basically nobody knows anything about, that holds no significance to Australians? 20,000 Australians fought in that war of the ~600,000 soldiers present on the British side. Australia served in a limited capacity in that war, compared to 416,809 in ww1, and close to a million in ww2 and roughly 60 thousand in Vietnam. Why you think this is a big "Gotcha" is beyond me.
    But I don't think it's a "big" 'gotcha' at all. However, Michael's claim that Australia had never won a war before Gallipoli was central to his argument, but is obviously false. I just pointed that out. And I completely agree that the Boer War is not well known in Australia. But it's important to Australian history, as our first military involvement as a nation, so it's not unreasonable to expect someone who has chosen to live in Australia to at least have heard of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    Why is this thread Michael Baron vs the world?
    But it isn't. Desmond and Capablanca-Fan have agreed with Michael about lockdowns, while Scott, Ian and I disagree with him.

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    We're only discussing war because you failed to understand an obvious piece of satire about Peter Dutton, which resulted in a discussion of the Aussie sense of humor. You then made an obviously false claim about Australia's war record.

    Has Michael Baron noticed that he is the cause of almost all thread derailments
    Auzzie sense of humor is famous world wide....according ot Auzzies
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    Because politics has become fanatical religion. Especially for left leaning positions.

    By even so much as suggesting the government did something wrong, you have become a heretic blasphemer.

    Even if there was evidence that lockdowns were actually indeed worse than the virus itself, you would be a racist nazi for pointing that out.

    Doesn't matter if you're Jewish, or black, or in an interracial relationship, someone will still scream NAZI at you. Heck, you could have fought against the Nazis in ww2, you'd still be called one... Like Winston Churchill has been...
    But I really do not mind what people scream at me .
    Sometimes entertained by it but mind - no.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    So....when was the last time Australia won a war? whom was it against?
    Have we beaten someone by ourselves? It may in a way..explain the Gallipoli phenomena.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,670
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So....when was the last time Australia won a war? whom was it against?
    Have we beaten someone by ourselves? It may in a way..explain the Gallipoli phenomena.
    Australia is geographically isolated and has no contiguous border with any other country. We have never been invaded, nor have we ever invaded and occupied the territory of other countries. All of which explains why Australia has never fought a war in isolation, apart from brief skirmishes with Indonesian forces.

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Australia is geographically isolated and has no contiguous border with any other country. We have never been invaded, nor have we ever invaded and occupied the territory of other countries. All of which explains why Australia has never fought a war in isolation, apart from brief skirmishes with Indonesian forces.
    So...Gallipoli...greatest achievement.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tournaments Finishing Late due to COVID
    By MichaelBaron in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-05-2021, 11:55 PM
  2. Covid-19 and New Zealand chess
    By heligan in forum New Zealand Chess
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-08-2020, 04:07 PM
  3. COVID-19 laws and people who break them
    By MichaelBaron in forum Politics
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-08-2020, 09:52 AM
  4. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 01-06-2020, 10:43 AM
  5. Who will be Australia's next PM?
    By Oepty in forum Politics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-06-2013, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •