Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

New BB scorecard after day one

It's been an interesting day.

The ACF website gets remodelled and a few days later the BB is pulled from under us like the proverbial rug.

I like the PGN tag of the new BB and I actually prefer the phpBB interface to the YaBB one. I used to run a YaBB board on my old ISP web space some time back but went phpBB when I got a chance and I continue to run one on my Linux bridge/web server/mail server at home.

Anyway, the decision to move may not have been a sudden one, but it certainly would have appeared to have been to everyone except Jeo and PaulB. It would appear that Bill G wasn't aware of the change and he is involved in chess administration at the NSW state and national level. So I would say Transition Management was a fail. there should have been more warning of the impending change and explanation of the change, the whys and wherefores to ease the transition for the old ACF BB posters.

Regarding the moderation, I must say it has left a little to be desired so far. There is the need of moderation and PaulB has stepped in a couple of times in the past. However, there does seem to be an overly defensive posture adopted by the new moderator and assuming anyone is allowed to read this, I'm sure you will agree.

However, it is early days yet and I'm willing to give a Pass Conceded on this one at this time. If the situation worsens I think many posters will vote ith their feet and what was a thriving online chess community may become the worse for it. My advice to the new moderator would be lighten up, chill out and stop moderating. Just because you can lock and delete threads, doesn't mean you should.

On the balance then the score card is tettering on the border line. Technically passing, Failing on managing the transition and pass conceded on the moderation. Let's see if we can put the transition behind us, lift the game on the moderation and push the community on to new heights in 2004!
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    I did that, im not going to moderate these forums for a while. Obviously when I delete people dont see the posts I delete, so I will leave it for the other admins to deal with.

CC International Master

Re: New BB scorecard after day one

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    It's been an interesting day.

The ACF website gets remodelled and a few days later the BB is pulled from under us like the proverbial rug.

I like the PGN tag of the new BB and I actually prefer the phpBB interface to the YaBB one. I used to run a YaBB board on my old ISP web space some time back but went phpBB when I got a chance and I continue to run one on my Linux bridge/web server/mail server at home.

Anyway, the decision to move may not have been a sudden one, but it certainly would have appeared to have been to everyone except Jeo and PaulB. It would appear that Bill G wasn't aware of the change and he is involved in chess administration at the NSW state and national level. So I would say Transition Management was a fail. there should have been more warning of the impending change and explanation of the change, the whys and wherefores to ease the transition for the old ACF BB posters.

Regarding the moderation, I must say it has left a little to be desired so far. There is the need of moderation and PaulB has stepped in a couple of times in the past. However, there does seem to be an overly defensive posture adopted by the new moderator and assuming anyone is allowed to read this, I'm sure you will agree.

However, it is early days yet and I'm willing to give a Pass Conceded on this one at this time. If the situation worsens I think many posters will vote ith their feet and what was a thriving online chess community may become the worse for it. My advice to the new moderator would be lighten up, chill out and stop moderating. Just because you can lock and delete threads, doesn't mean you should.

On the balance then the score card is tettering on the border line. Technically passing, Failing on managing the transition and pass conceded on the moderation. Let's see if we can put the transition behind us, lift the game on the moderation and push the community on to new heights in 2004!
    I think Kevin expressed it best in another thread

Whilst this BB may have more functiosn that the old ACF BB, the hardlien policies by the moderator has spoiled it. I would say that on what has happened so far, it is a dismal fail

deleting a thread of 80 posts because the administrator does not like what is being said, is just disgraceful

Re: New BB scorecard after day one

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    I think Kevin expressed it best in another thread
    While I agree with the thrust of most of what Kevin says, I still think there is value in people expressing their own opinions in their own words.

Besides I couldn;t reply in that thread as it has been locked :o

Whilst this BB may have more functiosn that the old ACF BB, the hardlien policies by the moderator has spoiled it. I would say that on what has happened so far, it is a dismal fail
    Yes, but it has only been thefirst day. I believe one can judge too harshly too quickly and most of the time it is better to err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt to begin with and making a more informed decision later.

After all, we don't rate chess players on the strength of just one game.

deleting a thread of 80 posts because the administrator does not like what is being said, is just disgraceful
    I agree it is heavy handed. Especially to what we've been used to. The same did happen to the Junior Selection thread on the old BB but that was more due to a concern of exposure of libel rather then censoring expression that was critical of the "establishment".

Anyway, to reiterate my sentiments, the new board has potential and I hope posters and moderators/admins alike can be sensible and perhaps we can realise them together.

I still think the old BB should be restored.

We can post here if we like.

We are however now aware of the attitude of the administrator and his policy on posts.

If we dont like it we dont have to post here because we will still be able to post on the old board.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos

We are however now aware of the attitude of the administrator and his policy on posts.

If we dont like it we dont have to post here because we will still be able to post on the old board.
    yes I think that choice is good.

By having both the ACF BB and this, we can determine which we want to post in. Some of teh modertaor's comment has been along the lines of , if you dont like it done post here, whoich is not really an option if the old ACF BB is inoperational

I think if the old board was fully functional then very few people would migrate over here. The idea was probably to simplify things from PaulB's point of view, two functional boards just doesn't make sense.

I still think: the transition was poorly handled; the moderation so far has been heavy handed at times; but, I'm willing to give it a go for a while to see if things improve.

If they don't then other options can be examined. Either restoing the old board or starting a new one to be administered by more liberal minded moderators.

THere is an old adage.
    If it aint broke dont fix it.

The old board may have lacked some features but it wasnt "broke"

I still think Shaun Press was right when he suggested both boards co-exist for a period.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Hi All,

Jeo and Paul our Webmaster have had discussions for some time with my encouragement on the subject of the Bulletin Board. The decision to stop one and restart this board was one for Paul to make as our Webmaster.

Certainly removing the possibility of the ACF being sued as hosts for slanderous comments made by third parties and potentially bankrupting the ACF was a major concern.

Jeo offered to host the BB with lots of features which I for one have not explored yet but I'm sure the Techno Heads (no offense Paul and Jeo) can see the possibilities.

Good luck to this new board and I'm sure both Posters and Moderator will find an acceptable way of dealing with each other.

George Howard
    ACF President

CC International Master
    THere is an old adage.

I still think Shaun Press was right when he suggested both boards co-exist for a period.
    for what it is worth, I agree with you Bill

However since Jeo has stated that he will no longer use his heavy handed modertaion as aptly shown today, maybe see if this is demonstated over the next week or so.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I actually think the benefits of the new BBs superior functions justify the move - now that we have full access to the old posts - provided that all the issues of culture clash and this being a private site can be worked through, crashed through or otherwise resolved.

On that note - a few words. On the old forum I only had secret moderator powers, which meant that every time I wanted to moderate something that deserved to be deleted, I had to log out, log back in as admin, and delete it - rather time consuming. This meant that I was online a lot but there was an effort barrier involved. On this one I can just whack delete or edit and it's gone in an instant, without me needing to log in and out.

For this reason, you may notice slightly more active moderation of some of the more mindless abuse than before.

THere is an old adage.

that's true, from our point of view it was not broke. But it appears (on the strength of Jeo's posts, anyhow) that Paul and he have been thinking about it for a while so there must have been some perceived benefit behind the move.

Having both boards open for posting for a transition period would be a transitional option. However, I think it works better if the cut-over is as quick as possible (probably less than 1 week).

However, I assumed (incorrectly, it appears) you were advocating restoring the old BB in perpetuity - which I don't think will work. We should have just one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    THere is an old adage.

that's true, from our point of view it was not broke. But it appears (on the strength of Jeo's posts, anyhow) that Paul and he have been thinking about it for a while so there must have been some perceived benefit behind the move.

Having both boards open for posting for a transition period would be a transitional option. However, I think it works better if the cut-over is as quick as possible (probably less than 1 week).

However, I assumed (incorrectly, it appears) you were advocating restoring the old BB in perpetuity - which I don't think will work. We should have just one or the other.
    I pretty much started the thread asking for the old board to be restored not long after Shaun put up his proposal for both boards to be up for a transitional period and after a demonstration of the moderation policy of delete, threaten and ban in action.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    On that note - a few words. On the old forum I only had secret moderator powers, which meant that every time I wanted to moderate something that deserved to be deleted, I had to log out, log back in as admin, and delete it - rather time consuming. This meant that I was online a lot but there was an effort barrier involved. On this one I can just whack delete or edit and it's gone in an instant, without me needing to log in and out.

For this reason, you may notice slightly more active moderation of some of the more mindless abuse than before.
    You were a secret moderator in the old board? How coem we never knew about this? What is the difference between a secret moderator, and a not so secret modertator? now that the secret is out, can you still be a secret moderator? Will there need to be an investigation on how the secret got out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I had half a mind to test you out on this by replying with a post consisting of a single expletive. Fortunately, the left-hemisphere cut in while I was reaching for the mouse with my left hand.

I'll have to watch that unruly right-hemisphere in the future.

Thread Information