Analysis discrepancies on exact same position

I have started to notice some rather glaring differences in game analysis assessment between Lichess and Chess.com. I'm sure I'm not the first to have picked up on this.

Lichess uses Stockfish 14 and I understand Chess.com also uses Stockfish but perhaps an earlier version? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here's a game I played recently and note the large difference in assessment between Lichess and Chess.com for the exact same position in the same game :

1. Nf3 Nf6
    2. c4 e6
    3. Nc3 Bb4
    4. Qc2 0-0
    5. a3 Bxc3
    6. Qxc3 d6
    7. d4 b6
    8. Bg5 h6
    9. Bh4 g5
    10. Bg3 Ne4
    11. Qd3 Bb7
    12. h4 Nxg3
    13. fxg3 f5 - at this point Lichess has white +4.0 and Chess.com has white +0.75
    14. hxg5 - at this point Lichess has white +3.7 and Chess.com has white +2.2
    14. ...Be4
    15. Qe3 Qd7
    16. gxh6 Kh8 - at this point Lichess has white +3.0 and Chess.com has white +3.15

I realize Lichess and Chess.com may use different methods of assessment for a position and that perhaps the units of measure they employ to express their assessments might even be different. But the above still doesn't make much sense to me.

Can anyone shed any light on the discrepancies ???

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    PGN Viewer

It's surprising any engine would rate white as low as +0.75 after 13...f5, unless perhaps it was not examining the position in much depth. I still have Stockfish 9 installed because I have not got around to upgrading it and even it jumps to nearly +2 immediately, and after a while to over +2.5.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    PGN Viewer

It's surprising any engine would rate white as low as +0.75 after 13...f5, unless perhaps it was not examining the position in much depth. I still have Stockfish 9 installed because I have not got around to upgrading it and even it jumps to nearly +2 immediately, and after a while to over +2.5.
    Appreciate your feedback.

The Lichess assessments are from having entered the moves manually into Lichess Analysis Board.

The Chess.com assessments were provided 'live' while I was playing one of Chess.com's on-line computer opponents Anabel (1600).

I find Lichess and Chess.com regularly disagree with their assessments of the exact same position and in particular on what is the best next move to play. I shouldn't have started comparing them as it only adds confusion to my learning.

For what is worth my archaic Fritz15 from -0.47 after 13. fg3 "jumps" to +- 1.84 after 13...f5.
    I 've only given a few seconds "thinking" time for either side from move 1 onwards .
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    For what is worth my archaic Fritz15 from -0.47 after 13. fg3 "jumps" to +- 1.84 after 13...f5.
    I 've only given a few seconds "thinking" time for either side from move 1 onwards .
    Cheers for that.

I guess that isn't a long way off Chess.com's +0.75 but there is certainly some variance between the various engine assessments and there isn't exactly GM level stuff being played out in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nf3 View Post
    ... there isn't exactly GM level stuff being played out in that game.
    I really enjoyed the interesting way you guys got into the Nimzo-Indian. (I mean d4 in the 7th move)
    As for the level of play I am the last person to express an opinion. I am on a free fall at present!
    Last edited by ER; 25-09-2021 at 03:32 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    I really enjoyed the interesting way you guys got into the Nimzo-Indian. (I mean d4 in the 7th move)
    As for the level of play I am the last person to express an opinion. I am on a free fall at present!
    I was white and played the 7 d4.

Admittedly the engine liked 7 b4 and 7 g3 better but it wasn't the worst move available.

(I am just a hacker trying to improve by the way I'm not trying to create an argument)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nf3 View Post
    I was white and played the 7 d4.

Admittedly the engine liked 7 b4 and 7 g3 better but it wasn't the worst move available.

(I am just a hacker trying to improve by the way I'm not trying to create an argument)
    You're doing well, no arguments here, cheers and good luck!
    Last edited by ER; 27-09-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information