Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

Who is the most famous person you have ever talked to?

I hope that there aren't a similar thread long down in the archives ...

My best shot are Jimmy Connors or Bent Larsen.

And best known Aussies are Ian Rogers and Wayne Arthurs.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    I hope that there aren't a similar thread long down in the archives ...
    Couldn't find one. If there is I'll merge it.

I'm not really sure how to best measure fame between different fields as there are many different fields in which I have met famous people. One doubtless flawed measure I came up with was number of footnotes in a person's Wikipedia entry. On this basis the top eight I so far recall having in-person conversations with, however short or long, came out as:

Garry Kasparov 201
    Levon Aronian 118
    Bob Brown 81
    David Suzuki 79
    Andrew Wilkie 69
    Richard Flanagan 67
    Kirsan Ilyumzhinov 43
    Steve Kilbey 40

However I'm not sure whether Flanagan at least is really as famous as a large number of famous cricketers who I bludged autographs from as a child. (I also sat next to the late Martin Crowe on a plane once but can't remember if there was any conversation or not.) It may be more that people tend to write about them in more detail on Wikipedia. Also band and team members may be disadvantaged by more being written about their band or team.

I had a close encounter with Bob Hawke once but not an actual conversation. I am not sure whether or not I met Terry Tao when I was a junior chessplayer.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 19-08-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Banned Hydra

Dr Karl 35
    Dave Hughes 24
    Ella Hooper 22
    Ernie Dingo 18
    A few world class swimmers that don't rate highly on that measure (Eg Tarnee White, Geoff Huegill).
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

Just remembered i spoke to Chinese world table tennis champion and had a game with him. I retired from the game when he let me get ahead.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Many conversations with Jack Brabham (?) almost daily.
    Last edited by antichrist; 18-08-2021 at 11:54 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Of course Guiness Records holder Paul D and Cec Purdy.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Many conversations with Jack Brabham (?) almost daily.
    And I wasn't the least interested in racing cars and he never mentioned as well.

Near miss: George RR Martin (183). Exchanged emails in 1998 but missed a chance to actually meet him because the weekend he came to Tasmania for a convention clashed with the state champs at the other end of the state.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC FIDE Master
    I don't know, if the Swedish autor Arne Dahl id famous enough, but I have a few times discussed chess with him.

Most famous Australians at my list are Ian Rogers and Wayne Arthurs.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    I don't know, if the Swedish autor Arne Dahl id famous enough, but I have a few times discussed chess with him.

Most famous Australians at my list are Ian Rogers and Wayne Arthurs.
    Or yes, as you mentioned Arne Dahl I realized - I have not mentioned Roald Dahl that I spoke to as a kid (including on the phone) and whose book ''Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'' I translated into Russian!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Or yes, as you mentioned Arne Dahl I realized - I have not mentioned Roald Dahl that I spoke to as a kid (including on the phone) and whose book ''Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'' I translated into Russian!
    For a wedding gift i was given a chocolate chess set yes I ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Near miss: George RR Martin (183). Exchanged emails in 1998 but missed a chance to actually meet him because the weekend he came to Tasmania for a convention clashed with the state champs at the other end of the state.
    I had a near miss of Michael Clarke (112). He was doing autographs in a shopping centre, I would have lined up but they weren't taking more into the queue as he was soon to leave.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

If we're including talking on the phone (and why not) I can add Nick Xenophon (122).

[edit: also added Wilkie to post 2]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 19-08-2021 at 01:15 PM.

CC International Master
    Greg Blewett

Apart from that Kevin is probably as famous as anybody else.

Thread Information