Thread: Serge Rubanraut

CC Candidate Master

Serge Rubanraut

I have been approached by the editor of a Russian chess encyclopaedia asking if I knew any information about the parents/family background of Serge Rubanraut.
    Can anyone on the forum help with this?

Premium Member
    The family name may have originally been Rubinrout. I can't find any obituary on Trove under either name despite much of the last chess references on Trove around 2008 being about Jewish chess news.

Burial info.including an image of his headstone:
    https://rookwoodcemetery.discovereve...-search=Search

CC Grandmaster
    There is an interesting hit in Google - an article dated July 9 2016 in the Arts/Review section of The Australian titled "This (Resourceful) Life". It seems to have some background about his parents, if you can avoid the paywall.

Premium Member

Serge Rubanraut

Peter Jansen may know something according to his post below. I will send him a private message via Chess Chat. If anyone know Peter, perhaps they could contact him.

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ight=Rubanraut

Posted by Peter Jansen 02-07-2020,01:17 PM

I first met Bela Berger in the late 70's through Serge Rubanraut.
    Serge and I shared accomodation around Darlinghurst/Kings Cross and often strolled up Darlinghurst Rd for a meal or a coffee.
    One day we were passing a small real estate office in Darlinghurst Rd, "Berger Real Estate", and Serge said lets go in and say hello to Mr Berger, he's got an IM title but mostly plays bridge these days.

We used to drop in for a coffee with Mr Berger now and then, we always deferred to him and called him Mr Berger.
    He did not particularly like the real estate business but shrugged his shoulders, what to do?, I arrived in Australia as a Hungarian refugee and my profession in Europe was as a professional chessplayer....?

He became a professional in Hungary to save his father.
    His politically active father was under threat of a death sentence from the Stalinist regime, to have it commuted Bela (already an established chess master) had to agree to stay in Hungary and to play chess as a state employee.

Serge's father had a similar lament arriving here from Russia via China via France with high qualifications that were not recognized here and he ended up working in real estate for L J Hooker.

CC Grandmaster
    His surname is certainly not Russian. Two possibilities that come to mind based on the surname 1) Jewish 2) French (and many French people were settling in Russia in the 19th century - they were usually coming over to act as tutors/teaching for children of the nobleman so were usually at least relatively well-educated. Today we would call it professional migration.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    His surname is certainly not Russian. Two possibilities that come to mind based on the surname 1) Jewish
    If you look at the headstone image-click on "Show me more"-doesn't it contain Hebrew script?

CC Grandmaster
    He was buried in a Jewish cemetery. This is from The Australian:
    I liked Serge even though he was difficult to talk to. He never spoke about his background although I understood his mother escaped the Holocaust by fleeing to China. He and his mother came to Australia from Shanghai. I knew nothing about his father. He lived a very internal life and never seemed entirely happy. I read recently that in 2008 he suffered a heart attack, died and was buried in the Jewish section of the Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney.
    Last edited by Patrick Byrom; 31-07-2021 at 11:10 PM.

Premium Member
    From another post by Peter Jansen:

peterjansen 27-01-2020, 10:17 AM #1

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....IP-Trevor-Hay)

“A couple of tales and an update on the Hay-Rubanraut stoush.

As an aside, Serge Rubanraut's surname sometimes was spelled Rubinraut, he changed his name by deed poll from Rubinraut. Another story.”

No response as yet from Peter to my private message.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    He was buried in a Jewish cemetery. This is from The Australian:
    I liked Serge even though he was difficult to talk to. He never spoke about his background although I understood his mother escaped the Holocaust by fleeing to China. He and his mother came to Australia from Shanghai. I knew nothing about his father. He lived a very internal life and never seemed entirely happy. I read recently that in 2008 he suffered a heart attack, died and was buried in the Jewish section of the Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney.
    To add further to this. From the link provided by Metro, there are two dates of deaths shown.

The second one is: RELIGIOUS DATE OF DEATH 13 TISHREI 5769, which is from the Jewish or Hebrew Calendar: https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar...-calendar.html

Thread Information