View Poll Results: How many medals (any colour) will Australia win at the Games of the XXXII Olympiad?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

0 0%
  • 1 - 10

0 0%
  • 11 - 20

2 20.00%
  • 21 - 25

1 10.00%
  • 26 - 30

2 20.00%
  • 31 - 35

1 10.00%
  • 36 - 40

3 30.00%
  • More than 40 [Correct]

1 10.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Obviously a false positive, Australians don't dope, it is only those dirty foreigners who cheat, LOL
    Looks like this guy is more a dope than a doper - has confessed to recreational use of a drug that doesn't enhance performance but is banned anyway.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    No the Ruskies cheat as well, I mean anything eastern Europe is suspicious, but the great western nations just train harder
    Indeed, Russians too. Only Australians are without a blemish. And while setting records with the right hand, even have time to fight for human rights with the left one same time .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

No the Ruskies cheat as well, I mean anything eastern Europe is suspicious, but the great western nations just train harder
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Indeed, Russians too.
    Correct.

Russia banned for four years to include 2020 Olympics and 2022 World Cup
    BBC 2019

...Wada president Sir Craig Reedie said the decision showed its "determination to act resolutely in the face of the Russian doping crisis".

He added: "For too long, Russian doping has detracted from clean sport. The blatant breach by the Russian authorities of Rusada's reinstatement conditions demanded a robust response.

"That is exactly what has been delivered. ...
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Correct.

Russia banned for four years to include 2020 Olympics and 2022 World Cup
    BBC 2019

...Wada president Sir Craig Reedie said the decision showed its "determination to act resolutely in the face of the Russian doping crisis".

He added: "For too long, Russian doping has detracted from clean sport. The blatant breach by the Russian authorities of Rusada's reinstatement conditions demanded a robust response.

"That is exactly what has been delivered. ...
    Good. I do not doubt they've been using it.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Good. I do not doubt they've been using it.
    Re ''robust response'' - won't happen simply because the russian bureaucracy is not used to admitting blame.

Could be Australia's medal performance in 2016 was just exceptionally bad and that those voting on this poll so far (inc me) are too pessimistic. I checked a number of medal prediction sites last night and on average they had Australia around 44. Then again I think medal predictors had something similar for 2016 too.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Could be Australia's medal performance in 2016 was just exceptionally bad and that those voting on this poll so far (inc me) are too pessimistic. I checked a number of medal prediction sites last night and on average they had Australia around 44. Then again I think medal predictors had something similar for 2016 too.
    I had been tempted to go higher, on the basis that Australia should be competent in the new sports, but then I came across a report (can't find it again) where one of the team managers said that they weren't setting medal targets and would consider personal bests and other factors as achievements.

It could just be a strategy to underpromise and overdeliver, but the first time I heard the term "personal best" was around the 1970s/80s as camouflage for uncompetitive results. So it's not promising that they are pre-emptively slipping it into the KPIs.

Extraordinary, has this kind of occurence ever happened at the Olympics before? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...ofer/100322340
    The slower I play the better I play, who would of thought?

Fivethirtyeight have a tracker that compares expected with actual medals tallies.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...t/?cid=rrpromo

At last update Australia was on target with 7 expected and gained en route to an expected 41 total. However Australia has won another medal since.

Surprisingly the host nation are underperforming their target so far with ROC the biggest overperformed.

CC FIDE Master
    I am not really following the olympics, they should not be happening and it is impossible to know who is doping, but I believe Ash Barty is out of the tennis which is surely a medal lost

Pretty clear now that Brazil was just a glitch and Australia should finish much better at these Olympics - up to 20 medals already and have already matched total gold medals (8) from both London and Rio.

CC Grandmaster
    ''Inclusion'' backfires....instead of fielding the strongest team...trying to get everyone a medal!
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympi...t=SocialBakers

With 38 medals in the bag, you can ease up now, guys. I can allow only two more to stay within my poll prediction of 36-40

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    With 38 medals in the bag, you can ease up now, guys. I can allow only two more to stay within my poll prediction of 36-40
    I thnk we are guaranteed 3 more medals, I from beach volleyball, 1 from boxing and 1 from men's hockey

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Bad luck - you, ER and Desmond just narrowly missed out. We now have 41, giving Max Illingworth the gold!

Thread Information