Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Not so sure how this can be chess related, maybe FIDE and/or ACF approved chess coaching professionals are the right people to enlighten us, however
    The thread is about kindergarten chess, and my point, which I should have made more clearly, is that kindergarten means different things and ages to different countries, so expecting to be able to bring kindergarten chess to NZ or Australia using that name and for children actually at kindergarten is probably pitching a bit young because I think tournaments for 3-4 year olds is a bit optimistic. In the USA where kindergarten means first year at school and 5-6 year olds, it obviously works OK for them so is a bit more realistic.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    The thread is about kindergarten chess, and my point, which I should have made more clearly, is that kindergarten means different things and ages to different countries, so expecting to be able to bring kindergarten chess to NZ or Australia using that name and for children actually at kindergarten is probably pitching a bit young because I think tournaments for 3-4 year olds is a bit optimistic. In the USA where kindergarten means first year at school and 5-6 year olds, it obviously works OK for them so is a bit more realistic.
    No disagreement here, only exception being that I never mentioned "tournament" chess for 3-4 year old children. Teaching them is a different kettle of fish; and btw the reason of my reluctance to expand on the "what is and what is not" kindergarten age can be found on my sigfile rather than my subtle references to the proper sources regarding the Australian situation. (In this case schoolinfo).
    Last edited by ER; 13-06-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    Very True. “A child's early education in Australia consists of kindergarten or early learning starting at either 3 or 4 years old and then primary school starting at age 5 or 6.”

The Singapore Chess Federation suggests that kids at age 5 can learn chess, assuming the right environment.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Our very own Melburnian Vineetha Wijesuriya ex Sri Lankan chess Olympian and a very good friend
    is running chess kindergarten classes amongst other scholastic chess activities.

Attachment 4909
    Good work Vineetha
    Although Berwick is very far from me, please elaborate on the Berwick Chess/mind games Centre. do they have a website?

Thread Information