CC Rookie

the games we play

hi all.

i am new to this forum and would hope to get some feedback on a subject or 2.
    i am currently developing a board game. or better described as "about halfway between boardgame and chess/chequres".
    i have recently started going to board game clubs near me, for research. (and its fun along the way).
    but i would also like to get into the chess world for the same research. ive been looking for chess clubs near me, to no avail. then i found this forum. so here i am.

so id like to ask you guys few questions if ok.

obviously there are those that like chess, and those that like boardgames, and those that like both.
    but for the games we like/dislike, what is the reason we like/dislike them?

for example, people that love chess but hate chequers. why? i spoke to someone online who will only play backgammon and thats it. refuse to play anything else.

there would be some that like chess/go/chequers etc, and dislike things like catan,risk,monopoly,clue. why?

for me, i will play just about any game and enjoy it along the way, but my preferred is something thats about halfway between the 2. chess is skill and strategy with very little luck, monopoly is a lot of luck with little skill. i like things in the middle. of course, there is also the human thing such as who im with, how i feel at the time(tired,energy), the whole setting. this stuff has a bearing on what we like at the time.

so id like to hear all your opinions, good or bad.

thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by jfoldbar View Post
    there would be some that like chess/go/chequers etc, and dislike things like catan,risk,monopoly,clue. why?
    It depends how much you want a game influenced by chance or by strategy, or somewhere in the middle.
    Chess, Go, and Checkers are all games with perfect information. That is, all moves are visible and known to both players. There's no chance element - no dice to roll, no shuffled cards to draw from.
    The other games have strategy too, but you can still lose with the better strategy if the dice are against you.
    I think that many players who like chess like all sorts of games. I know I do.

Ultimately I'd suggest just make the sort of game you would enjoy to play. I'm sure if it's a good game you can find people who would want to play it.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Banned Hydra

Thread Information