Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,914
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  2. #2
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    473
    How much are they paying him?

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    How much are they paying him?
    Its not just about the money. Change of government Happened in Armenia and the new government does not like Aronian as he was close to the previous government.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #4
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Its not just about the money. Change of government Happened in Armenia and the new government does not like Aronian as he was close to the previous government.
    That all just boils down to them not giving him the financial support he wants so it is just about money

  5. #5
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    That all just boils down to them not giving him the financial support he wants so it is just about money
    In those circumstances having the government "not like" you has implications beyond salary.

    Although in any case migration for career purposes is not unusual.

  6. #6
    CC International Master Metro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,059
    Nakamura this morning on his Twitch stream said it was a disaster for the young Americans such as Awonder Liang,Jeffrey Xiong and Sam Sevian.Aronians presence would make it more difficult for them to break through eg.in to the Olympiad team.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    That all just boils down to them not giving him the financial support he wants so it is just about money
    Not at all, the political situation over there is very complex right now. He would never switch Federations under the previous government with or without financial support at stake.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    13,458
    Lol I think Naka is more worried about his position in the Olympic team rather than that of the youngsters!
    well not really, he holds 4rth position at the moment but will be edged to fifth after Levon's possible inclusion!
    He's younger (not much, maybe 5 years) than the Arnenian (future American) though!
    BTW isn't there some temporal restriction to represent their new fed applied to players after federation change?
    I am also sure that it can take quite some time before a foreigner gains permanent visa status, let alone US citizenship!
    Last edited by ER; 28-02-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

    From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Lol I think Naka is more worried about his position in the Olympic team rather than that of the youngsters!
    well not really, he holds 4rth position at the moment but will be edged to fifth after Levon's possible inclusion!
    He's younger (not much, maybe 5 years) than the Arnenian (future American) though!
    BTW isn't there some temporal restriction to represent their new fed applied to players after federation change?
    I am also sure that it can take quite some time before a foreigner gains permanent visa status, let alone US citizenship!
    Naka seems to be focusing on blitz these days and with Inclusion of Levon, he is indeed relegated to the 4th position on the rating list with Dominiguez beinng number 5. All the talented young players are way behind!

    P.S The Australians women's team now has 2 ''imported'' WGMs and an imported IM (all 3 arrived here well beyond their junior age) so the USA situation is not that unique.
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 28-02-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #10
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    2,371
    Naka's right that it makes it hard for the home-grown players when USA has three imports (four if you count Fabi), but it's a zero-sum game. A spot is now there for another Armenian.

    One solution may be for USA to host the Olympiad and get two teams in. If they can find sponsors for shuffle chess and clock thumping they should be able to find them for the real thing if they put their minds to it. Well maybe that's Mr Sinquefield's plan.

    The team looks strong with the last Challenger and three other recent Candidates, but it pales beside USSR teams of the past. Going back fifty years the Soviet top five for Siegen 1970 was Spassky, Petrosian, Korchnoi, Polugaevsky and Smyslov. Ten years earlier Leipzig 1960 was Tal, Botvinnik, Keres, Korchnoi and Smyslov. In those days teams were six players; in 1970 the sixth was Geller, in 1960 it was Petrosian.

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Naka's right that it makes it hard for the home-grown players when USA has three imports (four if you count Fabi), but it's a zero-sum game. A spot is now there for another Armenian.

    One solution may be for USA to host the Olympiad and get two teams in. If they can find sponsors for shuffle chess and clock thumping they should be able to find them for the real thing if they put their minds to it. Well maybe that's Mr Sinquefield's plan.

    The team looks strong with the last Challenger and three other recent Candidates, but it pales beside USSR teams of the past. Going back fifty years the Soviet top five for Siegen 1970 was Spassky, Petrosian, Korchnoi, Polugaevsky and Smyslov. Ten years earlier Leipzig 1960 was Tal, Botvinnik, Keres, Korchnoi and Smyslov. In those days teams were six players; in 1970 the sixth was Geller, in 1960 it was Petrosian.
    Even their first team will never be as dominant as the Soviets back then! The soviets lost only a single ollympiad in 40 years (to Hungary in 1978), USA may be having trouble winning consistently time after time over China, Russia and others.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    In those circumstances having the government "not like" you has implications beyond salary.

    Although in any case migration for career purposes is not unusual.
    Migration may not be, but surely changing your allegiance is. Lots of tennis pros are based out of USA but they still represent their home country, for example.
    Last edited by Desmond; 28-02-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  13. #13
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Migration may not be, but surely changing your allegiance is. Lots of tennis pros are based out of USA but they still represent their home country, for example.
    I think the difference is that those players don't intend their move to be permanent, at the end of their career they will plan to return home or maybe move to a third country.

    The problem with moving your address and keeping your registration is that you can become effectively stateless in sporting terms with both countries at least partially disowning you. Not an issue with tennis which is largely an individual game, or soccer where playing overseas is accepted, but a problem in chess. In any case it's normal to represent the country you live in, many AUS chess players weren't born here.

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I think the difference is that those players don't intend their move to be permanent, at the end of their career they will plan to return home or maybe move to a third country.

    The problem with moving your address and keeping your registration is that you can become effectively stateless in sporting terms with both countries at least partially disowning you. Not an issue with tennis which is largely an individual game, or soccer where playing overseas is accepted, but a problem in chess. In any case it's normal to represent the country you live in, many AUS chess players weren't born here.
    If we're talking soccer, then Aronian would absolutely not be allowed to switch federations at this stage in his career, having represented Armenia on many occassions (and winning 3 olympiads of course).

    With regards to tennis, I don't see why tennis is any more of an individual sport than chess is. Players can move to USA (or elsewhere) and continue to represent their home country without a problem.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  15. #15
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Lol I think Naka is more worried about his position in the Olympic team rather than that of the youngsters!
    well not really, he holds 4rth position at the moment but will be edged to fifth after Levon's possible inclusion!
    He's younger (not much, maybe 5 years) than the Arnenian (future American) though!
    BTW isn't there some temporal restriction to represent their new fed applied to players after federation change?
    I am also sure that it can take quite some time before a foreigner gains permanent visa status, let alone US citizenship!
    Nakamura is not even sure he wants to play the next Olympiad.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help Switching Off Computer
    By Dozy in forum The 1337 Lounge
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 09:47 PM
  2. Gormally(GM) punches Aronian(GM) !
    By Axiom in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 16-06-2006, 02:42 PM
  3. Report on Aronian win!
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-12-2005, 04:01 PM
  4. Aronian - new Worldcup Champion!
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-12-2005, 03:48 PM
  5. Ponomariov-Aronian final at World Cup
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-12-2005, 08:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •