Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    26

    buller sensational!

    i must say folks that the mt buller tournament seems to be, from afar, the best organised event in the history of young chess tournaments, and it is a credit to the organising team, and all involved. the integrity with which this event seems to have conducted is heartening, and the choice of venue is inspired. one of the most beautiful locations in australia, i guess the kids could look out on the mountains and put a bit of perspective on everything. its just great, and maybe oneday they could do a winter tournament and combine it with the skiing? i think everyone who has criticised this event is really being incredibly cynical and short-sighted. i couldnt really care less what they think., from where i am, it seems great. brilliant guys!

  2. #2
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by doc
    and maybe oneday they could do a winter tournament and combine it with the skiing?
    You might want to check the price of accommodation at ski resorts in Winter first

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    26

    yeah

    well libby, look here love, would you deny the kids, the chance, at one of the most exciting opportunities of their life?? it would be magical, and if parents arent prepared to give their kids a good life experience as opposed to worrying about the bank balance, then what is this world coming to.

  4. #4
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by doc
    well libby, look here love, would you deny the kids, the chance, at one of the most exciting opportunities of their life?? it would be magical, and if parents arent prepared to give their kids a good life experience as opposed to worrying about the bank balance, then what is this world coming to.
    Aahh. I'm so old I even worry about my credit card bill these days. Strange things mortgages.

    Not sure if you're joking. Talking $3380/5 nights/6 people at the Mercure. Plus I can't ski. I'm pretty good on that old "life-experience" stuff but that's probably a bit beyond me.

    Not denying Mt Buller would be both cool and exciting in Winter but I think you'd be running a slightly smaller event.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,081
    even for all the panning the organisers have received, we are not planning on a winter mt buller

  6. #6
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    even for all the panning the organisers have received, we are not planning on a winter mt buller
    Give it time ...

  7. #7
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by doc
    i must say folks that the mt buller tournament seems to be, from afar, the best organised event in the history of young chess tournaments, and it is a credit to the organising team, and all involved. the integrity with which this event seems to have conducted is heartening, and the choice of venue is inspired. one of the most beautiful locations in australia, i guess the kids could look out on the mountains and put a bit of perspective on everything. its just great, and maybe oneday they could do a winter tournament and combine it with the skiing? i think everyone who has criticised this event is really being incredibly cynical and short-sighted. i couldnt really care less what they think., from where i am, it seems great. brilliant guys!

    Hmmm, methinks someone is suffering from a form of altitude sickness, disorientation and a degree of recklessness resulting in a decision to fly into a stuffed cloud. Seen a couple dead 'uns occur that way.

  8. #8
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    Kerry,

    answer

  9. #9
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by doc
    i must say folks that the mt buller tournament seems to be, from afar, the best organised event in the history of young chess tournaments,!
    Uh - no I don't think so. It certainly wasn't the worst and Roly, Lee and Charles did a great job in making it a good comp for the kids.

    I have just deleted a very long post I was going to put in reply, because I am not going to whine. However the juniors in 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 were all better organised. Didn't like 1996 or 1997 or 2004 and can't comment on 1999 as I wasn't there.

  10. #10
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea
    Kerry,

    answer
    You mean me?

  11. #11
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    Sorry, I meant Klyall

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mt Buller Australian Minor Chess Championships
    By cincinnatus in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 24-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  2. Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF
    By ChessGuru in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 395
    Last Post: 16-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •