Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2021 Queensland Reserves / Tin Cup

The 2021 Queensland Reserves / Tin Cup is set to be held on the Gold Coast February20th and 21st.

Where - Helensvale Community Centre
    When - February 20th and 21st
    Who - Players with an ACF rating below 1750
    Chief Arbiter - IA Kerry Stead
    Time Control - 60 + 30
    Rating - FIDE/ACF/QJ

All participants must be a financial member of CAQ.

For more information and to register please go to: https://gardinerchess.com.au/event/2...chess-tin-cup/

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au
    Last edited by Shaun94; 20-01-2021 at 12:12 PM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun94 View Post
    The 2021 Queensland Reserves / Tin Cup is set to be held on the Gold Coast February20th and 21st.
    [...]
    Is this primarily intended as a junior tournament, or do (sufficiently underrated) old farts get to join in too?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerep View Post
    Is this primarily intended as a junior tournament, or do (sufficiently underrated) old farts get to join in too?
    This tournament is for adults and juniors assuming they are rated below 1750 acf.

Where - Helensvale Community Centre
    When - February 20th and 21st
    Chief Arbiter - IA Kerry Stead
    Time Control - 60 + 30
    Rating - FIDE/ACF/QJ

All participants must be a financial member of CAQ.

For more information and to register please go to: https://gardinerchess.com.au/event/2...chess-tin-cup/

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au
    Very tempted, I had a great time combining chess and a fantastic GC holiday 3 years ago. I recommend it to everyone.
    It very much depends of Anastassia's Covid-19 border rules for us non Queenslanders though!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Very tempted, I had a great time combining chess and a fantastic GC holiday 3 years ago. I recommend it to everyone.
    It very much depends of Anastassia's Covid-19 border rules for us non Queenslanders though!
    Thank you Elliott, of course border restrictions will make things difficult or any interstate participants if there are further outbreaks etc.

I am hoping the situation will be much more stable by July in time for the Gold Coast Open

Very tempted, I had a great time combining chess and a fantastic GC holiday 3 years ago. [...]
    Heh, heh, I live in Sanctuary Cove, so it's (almost) "just down the road" for me. But my (very, very old) rating rules me out.

Heh, heh, I live in Sanctuary Cove, so it's (almost) "just down the road" for me. But my (very, very old) rating rules me out.
    Hey there strangerep, I understand your plight. Regardless of the rating restrictions I would still approach the organisers to find out what the situation is for players returning to active play after long periods of absence.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Candidate Master
    Unfortunately as it is a Chess Association of Queensland title event the rating restriction is strict.

That being said there are other tournaments on the Gold Coast later in the year without such restrictions.

Hey there strangerep, I understand your plight.
    Oh,... well,... it's not really a "plight". These days, one can play online against ridiculously potent chess engines, or against (probable?) humans on chess websites. Also, the extent and quality of many online chess videos is astonishingly good, at least for me.

Regardless of the rating restrictions I would still approach the organisers to find out what the situation is for players returning to active play after long periods of absence.
    I already checked, and found out what Shaun94 already said: a rating sticks forever until proven wrong by further tournament play -- which is fine.

[...] there are other tournaments on the Gold Coast later in the year without such restrictions.
    Unfortunately, some seem to involve evening play only -- which rules me out. I can't handle serious chess in the evenings, but I might attempt the 2-day, 3 games/day tournaments and see how I go. I've also been wanting to visit the Cairns area in the winter for other reasons, so I'll probably attempt the Qld Open up there in Aug if I can find satisfactory accommodation.

Btw, what's the modern format of the Aus Open? Once upon a time it used to be 1 (long) game per day, which makes for very good intense games.

CC International Master
    Hi I plan to play once again. Still dream of being the first player in history to win The Tin Cup twice, though my true odds these days are 100-1!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Btw, what's the modern format of the Aus Open? Once upon a time it used to be 1 (long) game per day, which makes for very good intense games.
    I'll move this discussion if there are multiple replies to it as it's off topic for this thread, but in recent years the usual format has been 1 long game per day except for one day with two games. However for the most recent Open that was held there were clashes with other tournaments that meant that the Open ended up being held as a 9-round tournament over 5 days (2-2-2-2-1).
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by StokesyRedcliff View Post
    Hi I plan to play once again. Still dream of being the first player in history to win The Tin Cup twice, though my true odds these days are 100-1!
    Good luck Mark!!
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC Candidate Master
    Mark Stokes raises a good point, No one has ever won this tournament more than once!

Who will be the first?

Previous winners.

1997: Evan Jones
    1998: John Alkin
    1999: Wally Djachenko
    2000: Leo Wilkinson
    2001: Matthew Sonter
    2002: Jonathan Humphrey
    2003: Phachara Wongwichit
    2004: Alex *******
    2005: Sean Karita
    2006: Mark Stokes
    2007: Kieton Beilby
    2008: Nenad Chelebichanin
    2009: Eliot Soo-Burrowes
    2010: Louay Al Zahar
    2011: Daniel Lapitan
    2012: Martin Jack
    2013: Tom Maguire
    2014: Stuart Holt
    2015: Tony Zhong
    2016: Michael Ostapenko
    2017: Daniel Ford
    2018: Al Matthew Canafe
    2019: Allan Fossey
    2020: Ben Peach
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thread Information