Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

GCCC 2021 Challenger 6 Round Swiss (Feb 18 to March 25)

Gold Coast Chess Club Inc.
    is proud to present the
    2021 CHALLENGER

Come and play in our first classic event of the year, the Challenger! As usual, you can expect a great turnout and some well-contested battles!

A 6-round Swiss tournament
    ACF and QJ rated

Robina Community Centre, Meeting Room 2.2
    196 Robina Town Centre Drive, Robina, QLD

Time control:
    60 minutes + 30 seconds increment from move 1

Schedule:
    Round 1 6:30 pm Thursday 18 February
    Round 2 6:30 pm Thursday 25 February
    Round 3 6:30 pm Thursday 4 March
    Round 4 6:30 pm Thursday 11 March
    Round 5 6:30 pm Thursday 18 March
    Round 6 6:30 pm Thursday 25 March

Entry fee:
    $50 adult, $40 concession Early Bird Online Entry, $60 full fee if entering on the evening of Round 1
    GM/IM/WGM/WIM free
    Online Registration at https://goldcoastchessclub.org.au/ev...21-challenger/
    Registration at 6:15 pm on Thursday 18 February

Minimum Prizes (subject to increase based on entries):

1st $220
    2nd $150
    3rd $80

1st Rating Group A $80
    1st Rating Group B $80

A list of entries will be published over the next weeks. Look forward to seeing you there!

Further enquiries:
    Marek Breeden - 0479 014 164
    Dusan Stojic - 0422 342 987
    goldcoastchess@gmail.com

LOVE CHESS - Gold Club Chess Club Inc.
    Join our Facebook Group at Gold Coast Chess Club Group

facebook.com/GoldCoastChessClub
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 27-01-2021 at 09:30 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Breaking News - Unfortunately the Nerang RSL venue advertised above is now unavailable at this time due to Covid but the GCCC committee is currently exploring options for another venue for 2021 and will update this thread when our new venue is secured.

CC Candidate Master
    The GCCC will be hosting the 2021 Challenger at our new venue:

196 Robina Town Centre Drive, Robina

Quote Originally Posted by strollingrhino View Post
    The GCCC will be hosting the 2021 Challenger at our new venue:

196 Robina Town Centre Drive, Robina
    Is this new venue fully air-conditioned, or,... just ceiling fans, or,... nothing?

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerep View Post
    Is this new venue fully air-conditioned, or,... just ceiling fans, or,... nothing?
    Fully air conditioned

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun94 View Post
    Fully air conditioned
    and it's a real beauty, well lit and reachable too! Was google searching the venue the other day when planning possible entry. (haven't rejected the thought yet!)
    A real pleasure to play in this venue, chosen to confirm once again the class, quality and generally very high standards of GCCC!

Attachment 4766

Attachment 4767

A six week Gold Coast break in this time of the year sounds so good. 6:30 pm starts in playing days gives you all the time you want to enjoy the lovely surroundings with so many things to see and do!
    Last edited by ER; 30-01-2021 at 01:25 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    and it's a real beauty, well lit and reachable too! Was google searching the venue the other day when planning possible entry. (haven't rejected the thought yet!)
    [...]
    A six week Gold Coast break in this time of the year sounds so good.
    Feb+Mar are the worst months for humidity here though. That's why I asked about aircon in the venue.

6:30 pm starts in playing days gives you all the time you want to enjoy the lovely surroundings with so many things to see and do!
    Heh, if you stay at the Sanctuary Cove Intercontinental I'd drive you to/from the venue (assuming you're a non-smoker!).

Although,... SC is not exactly close to Robina, nor Surfers Paradise, so it might depend on how you'd want to spend the rest of the time. For me, lounging around the incredible 1-acre pool at the SC Intercontinental, with full bar service, and many fine dining choices in the SC Village, doesn't sound too bad.

Feb+Mar are the worst months for humidity here though. That's why I asked about aircon in the venue.

Heh, if you stay at the Sanctuary Cove Intercontinental I'd drive you to/from the venue (assuming you're a non-smoker!).

Although,... SC is not exactly close to Robina, nor Surfers Paradise, so it might depend on how you'd want to spend the rest of the time. For me, lounging around the incredible 1-acre pool at the SC Intercontinental, with full bar service, and many fine dining choices in the SC Village, doesn't sound too bad.
    Hey Rep first thanks for you kind willingness to help. I really appreciate it.

Plan is I will be staying at Robina only on playing evenings. Have already inquired (not booked) at Quest Robina.

It's only 1.6 Km to the venue about a 15 minute walk and there's also a bus service!

Plan is to have week lasting accommodation bases at South Sunshine Coast, Surfers, Gold Coast, Brissy and maybe Cairns. Not necessarily in that order.

The areas I have chosen to include in my visit plan are amongst others (again not necessarily in that order) Buderim, Caloundra, Noosa and others, all of which I have visited and played there or nearby in the past.

However, and most importantly the final decision hasn't yet been made.

Cheers!

Oh btw I am neither a smoker, nor a drinker!
    Last edited by ER; 31-01-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Candidate Master
    Club Announcement: Due to our recent difficulty with space and covid capacity the GCCC Committee has decided to instate the following rule for juniors wishing to play at the club.

1- Any junior player aged under 13 years old must have reached at one time a QJ rating of 1000.

This rule is in force at the club from today forward until such a time that our capacity and restrictions on space are lifted. It is our intent to be able to lift this rating restriction in the future.

To explain further a player under 13 years old may enter tournaments at the GCCC if their QJ rating is currently over 1000 or if their rating in the past was once over 1000. Inquiries related to this new rule are kindly directed to our club president, Marek Breeden.

Just to clarify... is the GCCC 2021 Challenger event definitely an ACF/FIDE rated event?
    (The opening post in this thread says yes, but the GCCC webpage appears silent on this point.)

Also, are there any other eligibility requirements not currently stated on the webpage, such as "must be a financial member of GCCC",
    and/or "must be a financial member of CAQ", etc?

CC FIDE Master
    Just to clarify... is the GCCC 2021 Challenger event definitely an ACF/FIDE rated event?
    (The opening post in this thread says yes, but the GCCC webpage appears silent on this point.)

Also, are there any other eligibility requirements not currently stated on the webpage, such as "must be a financial member of GCCC",
    and/or "must be a financial member of CAQ", etc?
    I believe the tournament will be ACF rated not FIDE rated.

You will likely need to be a member of GCCC and if you wish to play any tournaments that are rated in QLD you must be a financial member of CAQ ($20 per year) this applies to clubs and standalone tournaments

As of 13-Feb-2021, the GCCC website still says "Total 80 seats (80 left)".
    Is no one registering for this lesser event amidst the hoopla of the Tin Cup?

CC Candidate Master
    As of 13-Feb-2021, the GCCC website still says "Total 80 seats (80 left)".
    Is no one registering for this lesser event amidst the hoopla of the Tin Cup?
    Hi Strangerep The entry system is working fine but the ticket number isn't currently ticking over. The tournament is ACF rated only as Shaun94 mentioned above. There are only 30 spots available due to Covid.

CC Candidate Master
    Current Early Entry List - GCCC Challenger 2021

Early Bird Online Registration Prices $40 Concession or $50 Adult, $60 to Register on the Night (Link in original post above)

FM Dusan Stojic 2244
    Sam Grigg 1741
    Micah Young 1527
    Byron Morris 1482
    Toshio Croucher 1427
    Justin Arditto 1283
    Orsen Van de Byl 1237
    Marek Breeden 1127
    Tristan Smith 1004
    Luka Hart 922
    Adam Andre 848
    Mathew Smith 735
    Benjamin Shelley 391
    Adrian Andre 382

16 Entry spots remaining... register today to avoid missing out!

Quote Originally Posted by strollingrhino View Post
    The entry system is working fine but the ticket number isn't currently ticking over.
    Yes -- it's weird. This morning it says "Total seats 80 (78 left)".

FM Dusan Stojic 2244
    [...]
    On the website, Dusan Stojic is listed as the arbiter. I thought that an arbiter is automatically ineligible to compete? Or has someone else taken over as arbiter?

16 Entry spots remaining... register today to avoid missing out!
    Hmm. Tbh, I was kinda hoping for a stronger lineup. Until your message, I'd intended to wait until Thurs evening and (possibly) register at the event -- depending on the strength of the top end.

If it's not too much trouble, would you post an updated list tomorrow (Tue) and I'll make a decision then (if places still remain).

Thread Information