Thread: RIP Alex Kaplan

CC FIDE Master

RIP Alex Kaplan

Just a quick note about the passing of a couple of long time Vic chess players.

[..]

News of Alex Kaplan's death was passed on by Tom Kalisch, the President of Chess Artists Chess Club in Caulfield and the last chess club that Alex regularly played at. He was for a very long time a MCC member and, up until very recently, a regular player in MCC's Monday night tournaments. Alex was also a past Committee member of MCC.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 12-11-2020 at 09:35 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Tragic losses. Good people ,great characters and well-loved in Melbourne and the broader Australian chess scene.May they be blessed.
    Yours sincerely,Darryl Johansen.

Saddened to learn about Alex Kaplan's passing.
    A good old friend since the days of the old MCC at Peel St. North Melbourne up to the very present at the Artists.
    Temporarily cranky sometimes when he lost, but always available for a joke or a yarn.
    During my 18 years absence from chess circles I often met him at the University of Melbourne and some times had lunch together.
    I remember the day he informed me about MCC's Vic Pateras taking his life, we were both devastated by the horrible news.
    A well educated family man, a writer who had traveled the world and accidentally got involved in the
    Solidarity resistance movement while visiting Poland during Martial Law and the trade union upheavals there in the 80s!
    RIP Alex, I will miss you, my heartfelt condolences to your family and loved ones.

[..]

In the photos below, Alex (left) in a proud moment of his chess career receiving a prize by the president of the Chess Artists CC Tom Kalisch while IM James Morris standing and the late Malcolm Pyke (sitting) look on.
    Also another couple of pictures from Alex's playing days at the Artists!

AKAPLAN 01.JPG
    AKAPLAN 02.JPG AKAPLAN 03.JPG

[..]
    Last edited by ER; 12-11-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Grandmaster
    Very sad news. A chess student/friend of mine last played against Kaplan in an online Caulfield Club Allegro 3 or so weeks ago. Hard to believe he is gone. [..]
    R.I.P
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 12-11-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Condolences to all who knew them.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Moderation Notice

This thread was originally started as a condolence thread for two players, Alex Kaplan and Kenneth Holt, but has been split (as best I can) into a separate thread for each player. Comments originally posted to each thread have been copied and edited accordingly. If anyone would like their comments as they remain above deleted or edited then please send me a private message to that effect, or post a request in this thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ving-posts-etc

Any discussion of the thread split is to occur in the Help and Feedback section only.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Alex Kaplan died yesterday (Wed 11-11-20) morning. More details re funeral etc will be published when related information is received
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Candidate Master
    Very sad news.

I played so many games against Alex over the years and he was always a gentleman and a pleasure to talk to. A very educated and erudite man, with talents in several areas.

He took an interest in Jean's games and was very encouraging. They had some titanic battles!

Condolences to Alex's family members and close friends in the chess scene.

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Alex Kaplan died yesterday (Wed 11-11-20) morning. More details re funeral etc will be published when related information is received
    Is there any further information?

Very sad news . My condolences to Alex's family and friends. I recognise his face from the photos so we met sometime, possibly at the MCC when I visited while in Melbourne for my work. RIP Alex.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information