Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Matt Sweeney R.I.P. 2002-2004

I assume Matt can't come back (unlike JC) so I have opened up a condolence register thread so that his memory can be laid at rest.

I half expect MS to do a Mark Twain and say that news of his death are highly exaggerated.

From Matt Sweeney Banned thread
    If you are still reading, which I doubt, I thank you for the many times you brightened my day, but ones that were indelled into my memory were describing Bill as wingnut (not my type of humour but funny) and querying whether AR's incontinence pads were full.

Who else on the BB can make us laugh -- I can't remember any of the highly-rated players doing so. A few of the lowly-rated players could because they are dopes
    Last edited by antichrist; 10-01-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I assume Matt can't come back (unlike JC) so I have opened up a condolence register thread so that his memory can be laid at rest.

I half expect MS to do a Mark Twain and say that news of his death are highly exaggerated.

From Matt Sweeney Banned thread
    If you are still reading, which I doubt, I thank you for the many times you brightened my day, but ones that were indelled into my memory were describing Bill as wingnut (not my type of humour but funny) and querying whether AR's incontinence pads were full.

Who else on the BB can make us laugh -- I can't remember any of the highly-rated players doing so. A few of the lowly-rated players could because they are dopes
    hi A/C

I think the Gorilla from the GONG has simply been asked to go and stand in the corner for a while, as a consequence of his unseemly language on multiple occasions. He will be back surely.
    The two examples of humour you quote were gems; particularly the second, and the post around this particular line is also worth reading for chuckle-value.
    Still best for me was Matt's entire post that was nominated for the 2003 Best post award.

starter

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    SWeeney will be enabled soon.....

However sweeney may not be back for a while as he is camping somewhere down far south coast of NSW......
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    SWeeney will be enabled soon.....

However sweeney may not be back for a while as he is camping somewhere down far south coast of NSW......

Trent, you must have spoken to him at the Minor, how was The Sweeney, did he have anything to say about his ex-communication? How were his spirits holding up after the ordeal?
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    Trent, you must have spoken to him at the Minor, how was The Sweeney, did he have anything to say about his ex-communication? How were his spirits holding up after the ordeal?
    What ordeal.
    He brought it on himself by his crude and vulgar behaviour.
    If he cannot learn to control his foul language then any return will be short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    What ordeal.
    If he cannot learn to control his foul language then any return will be short lived.
    As you saying he will experience a resurrection? Is this some sort of prophesy? 20 20 foresight?
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    As you saying he will experience a resurrection? Is this some sort of prophesy? 20 20 foresight?
    Not at all.
    KB previously announced that they would eventually lift his ban but keep him on a tight leash.

Bill,
    This RIP thread is supposed to be a wake for Matt -- a celebration of his wit and wisdom -- and you are dancing on his grave, putting the boot in. Don't you miss your old sparring partner?

Like, it goes without saying that you would miss me if I went.

Matt could come from a sensitive family like Greenbottle did and choose not to return.
    Last edited by antichrist; 10-01-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Bill,
    This RIP thread is supposed to be a wake for Matt -- a celebration of his wit and wisdom -- and you are dancing on his grave, putting the boot in.
    His wit and especially his wisdom was few and far between if at all unlike his crude and vulgar language which was nearly always on show.
    Don't you miss your old sparring partner?
    Not in the least.
    The board has been much more civilised without him.

Like, it goes without saying that you would miss me if I went.
    As usual you are deluding yourself.
    Your leaving would be no great loss.

Matt could come from a sensitive family like Greenbottle did and choose not to return.
    We could but hope he would choose not to return, but I wouldnt bet on it.

His wit and especially his wisdom was few and far between if at all unlike his crude and vulgar language which was nearly always on show.

Not in the least.
    The board has been much more civilised without him.

As usual you are deluding yourself.
    Your leaving would be no great loss.

We could but hope he would choose not to return, but I wouldnt bet on it.
    Bill

You have said all this before.

A/C was calling for reflection on a few of the postives; not to dwell on the negatives.
    If you must be grumpy, choose another thread.

regards
    starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Bill

A/C was calling for reflection on a few of the postives; not to dwell on the negatives.
    No, let us remember the side of Matt he demonstrated most.
    That was the side that was crude and vulgar and certainly not one of wisdom.

I guess like DR and antichrist, I should have expected you to act as an apologist for Matt's behaviour.

No, let us remember the side of Matt he demonstrated most.
    That was the side that was crude and vulgar and certainly not one of wisdom.

I guess like DR and antichrist, I should have expected you to act as an apologist for Matt's behaviour.
    Bill

If you interpret my post #2 as that of an apologist then that is your call, not mine.
    The weather and cricket are too nice in Melbourne to be grumpy. Bye.

starter

What ordeal.
    I always thought it strange that Matt got the wrong message.. if he had posted his vulgarities in UnMod instead of (oddly) being polite there and not on the main board then none of this would have happened.

Even so, they are only words, a few bytes of text that appear on your screen and despite what many would term 'vulgarity', I doubt Matt ever had truly malicious intentions. What really constitutes 'foul' is in the eye of the beholder.

If you are talking about 'intent to insult' then Bill, I think you outrank Sweeney even. Just because you use words like 'fool, cretin, moron, polluted gene pool' etc. does not make it any less a bad thing than Sweeney's vulgarities. All it shows is you express yourself in a different manner but the intent behind those words should be clear for all to see.

So yes, perhaps Matt did offend people and may have deserved to have been banned but perhaps you should think about the way you conduct yourself too, that doesn't restrict to 'civilised' language.

After all, I think there's all too thin a line between a fool and a f***wit.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Bill

regards
    starter
    did someone really die here or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    I always thought it strange that Matt got the wrong message.. if he had posted his vulgarities in UnMod instead of (oddly) being polite there and not on the main board then none of this would have happened.
    True.
    Unfortunately he didnt seem to appreciate that but argued the very opposite.

Even so, they are only words, a few bytes of text that appear on your screen and despite what many would term 'vulgarity', I doubt Matt ever had truly malicious intentions. What really constitutes 'foul' is in the eye of the beholder.
    I've had many people complain to me about Matt's use of foul language on the board.

If you are talking about 'intent to insult' then Bill, I think you outrank Sweeney even. Just because you use words like 'fool, cretin, moron, polluted gene pool' etc. does not make it any less a bad thing than Sweeney's vulgarities. All it shows is you express yourself in a different manner but the intent behind those words should be clear for all to see.
    The intent should be clear.
    I dont tolerate fools lightly.
    Neither do I tolerate those that misrepresent situations and facts.

So yes, perhaps Matt did offend people and may have deserved to have been banned
    There is no may about it.
    He had been repeatedly warned by the mods but failed to heed them.

but perhaps you should think about the way you conduct yourself too, that doesn't restrict to 'civilised' language.
    I've never been warned by a mod about my behaviour on the board.

After all, I think there's all too thin a line between a fool and a f***wit.
    Given your accusations against the NSWJCL Council in another thread you would seem to confirm that assertion.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 10-01-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Thread Information