Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elena Sedina!

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    No, as there is no privileges attached to winning the Australian Open (apart from money/trophy).
    Thanks Shaun and Pax,

I was under the obviously misinformed impression that the winner of the Australian Open did qualify for the next Australian Championship provided they were a citizen or a resident.

I suppose Ms Sedina could be invited under the "four foreign players of at least 2200 strength" rule what with all this talk about her being an inspiration to up and coming female players.

Did anyone take the trouble to ask her if she might wish to be considered as a possible entrant under those provisions?

However, to be fair, she may already have other committments this time next year.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaro
    Thanks Shaun and Pax,

I was under the obviously misinformed impression that the winner of the Australian Open did qualify for the next Australian Championship provided they were a citizen or a resident.

I suppose Ms Sedina could be invited under the "four foreign players of at least 2200 strength" rule what with all this talk about her being an inspiration to up and coming female players.
    There is no such rule as that.
    The relevant part of By-Law 1 is:
    . (i) a person, not being an Australian citizen or a person with permanent
    resident status under the Migration Act 1958 (Cwth), who has a rating of at
    least 2250 on the most recent FIDE rating list and who has played at least
    20 ACF-rated games in the two years before entries close for the Australian
    Championship;
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 10-01-2005 at 09:58 PM.

CC International Master

Sedina will be giving lessons

Hello guys
    Just let you know that ms Sedina after short well deserved break will be giving lessons to our juniors during Australian junior champonship.Tomorrow night she will be at Mt.Buller.May be some of you guys will be interested?!

Quote Originally Posted by leonid Sandler
    Hello guys
    Just let you know that ms Sedina after short well deserved break will be giving lessons to our juniors during Australian junior champonship.Tomorrow night she will be at Mt.Buller.May be some of you guys will be interested?!
    A fantastic opportunity, particularly following her win in the Open. I hope those permitted to spend time with her will learn a lot.

I understand that the funding for this has come from some special sponsored niche. I still think it is a shame that it cannot, in part, be an opportunity for every child at the Aus Junior to join in a big forum, Q & A, simul, or just opportunity to hear from these top players when we do see them. An opportunity for all to be inspired rather than an individual's opportunity to run through a particular line they want to play.

I think it would be a great, positive, enhancement to include the possibility of one or two, broad-based sessions (ie all invited, or 20 places made available or whatever is practical) rather than a narrow focus on part of the group (those staying at the Mercure). As many have their own coaching arrangements with state or private groups already, it is open to a fantastic resource being underutilised. By all means, keep the private stuff exclusive to your "proper" entrants but consider incorporating other ideas if that is within the scope of your international visitors?

I do understand that the organisers and sponsor have chosen things to be this way. But what will ultimately reflect best on the whole tournament?

I have to say that I have been very impressed by Elena Sedina's achievement at Mt. Buller, and in particular by her uncompromising and imaginative Chess style.
    There is an overview of her path to victory on the Burnie Chess page together with the PGN of her games, (with some Fritz8 analysis), in rounds 3-11 as a download.

Thread Information