Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    If anything doesn't the current system reward decisive classical games though, not draws hoping to win arma?
    Eg. if you play sharp classical and win 1 lose 1, you get 3 points. Play drawish classical have 2 draws and then win 1 lose 1 in arma, you get 2.5 points. I don't see how heading for arma is encouraged by the scoring system.
    Indeed, it doesn't encourage draws. Every system rewards wins, or discourages draws, by giving more points for wins. Standard scoring gives a win twice as many; the "soccer system" gives three times. The latest Norway system is in between, but via a different mechanism.

I suppose it's saying that both drawing players have sinned, but one can be redeemed by winning an Armageddon. Except that for Black a draw will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Indeed, it doesn't encourage draws. Every system rewards wins, or discourages draws, by giving more points for wins. Standard scoring gives a win twice as many; the "soccer system" gives three times. The latest Norway system is in between, but via a different mechanism.

I suppose it's saying that both drawing players have sinned, but one can be redeemed by winning an Armageddon. Except that for Black a draw will do.
    Not sure what point you are trying to make, Ian. The tournament was not decided by cake baking or shot drinking, but, by and large, by excellent classical games. Did you follow the games at all?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC International Master
    Not sure what point you are trying to make, Ian. The tournament was not decided by cake baking or shot drinking, but, by and large, by excellent classical games.
    Well, in the immediately preceding post I was replying to and in fact agreeing with your contention that the system doesn't encourage draws; partly so as to dispel any impression that I had made such a claim. In other posts I was making two points.

1. Throwing Armageddons into a classical event tends to undermine its credibility as a classical event. [I don't really like the term "classical", but let's stick with it.] It provides colour and movement which is good, but in the end the drama in sport arises from the contest. Throwing circus elements into the rules of the contest rather than the presentation detracts from its legitimacy. The suggestions of shot glass chess or culinary competitions were making this point more starkly, though spelling it out tends to dilute the effect.

2. Notwithstanding the above, the Armageddons are a bit of a scam. The organisers try to hoodwink WWE fans that they have insinuated Armageddons into the event, when in fact they are most likely only to affect the outcome as a tie-break, and the WWE fans have to wait round for hours for one or two Armageddons with no guarantees.
    Did you follow the games at all?
    I've followed some of the games but still to catch up on others, though I don't think that's relevant to the above points which are about the format.

Thread Information