Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Drop Your Dropbox Folders Here --- or any other place you prefer.

Attention ER, Antichrist and other stalwarts of Chess Chat. Drop your Dropboxes, full of scanned magazines, full of Australian Chess history, here.

Drop 1: Chess World magazines provided courtesy of Mark Stokes, CAQ President.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/psa1f0zpr...C1fjaiIPa?dl=0

Drop 2: Two of Bernie Johnson’s “Chess in Australia” magazines have been provided courtesy of Tony Weller.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxxm2upv3...hgy2FaH5a?dl=0

Last edited by blackbishop; 28-09-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Premium Member

Monthly Insults

I have decided to insult the chess community on a monthly basis until someone
    undertakes some scanning of Australian national chess magazines or State Chess Association newsletters
    or magazines and makes them available to others.

From around 1950, when Trove stopped scanning a range of newspaper chess columns to 2004, when Chess Chat began, are the Chess Dark Ages.
    The best source of information about those years resides in the magazines and newsletters and a few books produced during that period.

As there is something of a backlog insult wise, this month I begin with the three best insults made available by Chess.com.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/t...-chess-insults

CC FIDE Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post

I have decided to insult the chess community on a monthly basis until someone
    undertakes some scanning of Australian national chess magazines or State Chess Association newsletters
    or magazines and makes them available to others.

From around 1950, when Trove stopped scanning a range of newspaper chess columns to 2004, when Chess Chat began, are the Chess Dark Ages.
    The best source of information about those years resides in the magazines and newsletters and a few books produced during that period.

As there is something of a backlog insult wise, this month I begin with the three best insults made available by Chess.com.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/t...-chess-insults
    I’m struggling to understand exactly what the problem is that you are attempting to solve. Admittedly I did play most of my chess in the “Chess Dark Ages” period that you have identified and it would be a shame if the records of this period were lost. If only someone who played in this period had collected all the chess books, bulletins, magazines and newspaper columns from this period.....
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I’m struggling to understand exactly what the problem is that you are attempting to solve. Admittedly I did play most of my chess in the “Chess Dark Ages” period that you have identified and it would be a shame if the records of this period were lost. If only someone who played in this period had collected all the chess books, bulletins, magazines and newspaper columns from this period.....
    Hahahaha

Premium Member

“Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged” as described by the late Douglas Adams.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe.

“So things began to pall for him. The merry smiles he used to wear at other people's funerals began to fade. He began to despise the Universe in general, and everybody in it in particular.
    This was the point at which he conceived his purpose, the thing that would drive him on, and which, as far as he could see, would drive him on forever. It was this:
    He would insult the Universe.
    That is, he would insult everybody in it. Individually, personally, one by one, and (this was the thing he really decided to grit his teeth over) in Alphabetical Order.”

Covid restrictions prevent me from making personal visits but I do have access to the ACF Master file.

Premium Member

New Chess Dark Age?

In 2004, Chess Chat began. It provides an invaluable service to chess players, disseminating news
    about upcoming events and maintaining an ongoing record or chess history and allowing people to share information and opinions.

Can we assume that the people maintaining Chess Chat will be content to maintain the site indefinitely and that the site will be financed indefinitely?

In 2004, Chess Chat began. It provides an invaluable service to chess players, disseminating news
    about upcoming events and maintaining an ongoing record or chess history and allowing people to share information and opinions.
    Unfortunately, it has also become a platform for some (a small minority thank God) to promote their political agenda!
    Their contribution to chess threads varies from infinitesimal to non existent.

Can we assume that the people maintaining Chess Chat will be content to maintain the site indefinitely and that the site will be financed indefinitely?
    Question - rhetorical or not - of the year!
    Money matters!
    The people who maintain, administer and moderate this forum are worthy of our wholehearted thanks and congratulations!
    IMH This site should sooner of later become professional as in attracting advertisements from chess/non chess sources.
    I have seen sites much less important and much less popular (in terms of membership and content of information, history etc attracting permanent and temporary paid ads and promotions.
    • A poll, inquiring the willingness of present Chess Chat membership to accept / reject such a move could be useful just to test the general feeling.
    • Another and in fact the most important part of this mini-campaign could be the willingness of the existing administration,
      responsible for maintaining, and moderating this forum to participate in such a move.
    • Another, also important aspect could be a more energetic encouragement (it's rather very subtle now) of the members to be more active in terms of contributing / assisting financially
      toward expenses of keeping this site!

I am a man who doesn't hesitate to put his money where his mouth is. As such I declare my wish to double my annual contribution to the Chess Chat. I know it's not much by itself;
    however, it could be rather significant if other members followed my example!
    Last edited by ER; 01-10-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Premium Member

Financial Support for Chess Chat

"As such I declare my wish to double my annual contribution to the Chess Chat. I know it's not much by itself;
    however, it could be rather significant if other members followed my example!"

How would one go about supporting Chess Chat financially?

Premium Member

Insulting Jammo.

Jammo, International Chess Master, Australian Champion, former president etc of the ACF, Purdy and Koshnitsky medal winner, etc, etc yawn, is also a collector of chess books and magazines. It is remoured that he has the best collection of Australian stuff that ever was or ever can be.

Collectors are apparently a strange lot. They can be quite competitive its seems, chasing after some new acquisition and bidding against each other. “The thrill of the chase” to quote Bob Meadley. Understandable, a collector would have some difficulty in scanning any of the collection and distributing the scans as it might devalue, in various ways, the worth of the collection.

The Insult: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1510737

CC FIDE Master

Jammo, International Chess Master, Australian Champion, former president etc of the ACF, Purdy and Koshnitsky medal winner, etc, etc yawn, is also a collector of chess books and magazines. It is remoured that he has the best collection of Australian stuff that ever was or ever can be.

Collectors are apparently a strange lot. They can be quite competitive its seems, chasing after some new acquisition and bidding against each other. “The thrill of the chase” to quote Bob Meadley. Understandable, a collector would have some difficulty in scanning any of the collection and distributing the scans as it might devalue, in various ways, the worth of the collection.

The Insult: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1510737

Ahh .... I get it now. This thread is about insulting people. So let me have a go. “Blackbishop” .... I don’t know who he is but perhaps the last post gives us a clue. I had presumed that he was some Queensland guy who was good at inventing imaginary crises and then criticising people who did not agree with his proposed solution ..... all good harmless fun and some of his posts were interesting. I now realise that he is a delusional mind-reader who has deduced that the reason that I don’t rush out and immediately scan what, 50,000 pages of Australian chess material, is because that would devalue my chess collection. True, I have some spare time during the lock-down, but I prefer to spend that eating chocolate and playing masterful games on LiChess.

One wonders also what sort of mind believes that there is a crisis just because HE doesn’t have information about chess during the chess dark ages from 1950-2004. Perhaps some kindly soul should tell him about the M.V.Andersen Collection at the State Library of Victoria. If they can’t help then perhaps I can. I’ve recently, for example, been sending material about Doug Hamilton to a chess author in Spain who is writing a book on “The Australian Tal.” Should be a great read if you know Spanish. He currently wants me to send him the game Georghiu v Tabak from the 1970 Karlis Lidums Australian Open. I could go out to my garage and find the tournament bulletins but I think I’ll wait till someone from Queensland scans it and I can get it on-line. Any volunteers? Blackbishop perhaps?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Premium Member
    Was that Calin or Florin?

"As such I declare my wish to double my annual contribution to the Chess Chat. I know it's not much by itself;
    however, it could be rather significant if other members followed my example!"

How would one go about supporting Chess Chat financially?
    here's the way:

Attachment 4574

btw make sure that when you quote other people's text, include THEIR name in your quotations, not yours!!!
    The way you did it (quoting yourself) is like you are offering to double your (non existent) contribution followed by asking
    for information of how can one contribute. Doesn't make much sense does it?
    Last edited by ER; 02-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Premium Member
    Thanks ER for the information regarding donations and subscriptions to Chess Chat. The information you
    provided was posted in 2013, so perhaps a more up to date and prominent notice would produce more response.
    I am happy to subscribe to Chess Chat and expect many other people would be happy to do so. Unlimited attachment space!
    Sounds good to me.

Thanks ER for the information regarding donations and subscriptions to Chess Chat. The information you
    provided was posted in 2013, so perhaps a more up to date and prominent notice would produce more response..
    Info provided still remains relevant ... the boss doesn't post often, just when for necessary announcements.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Premium Member

Regarding Jammo's search for a game from the K L tournament in Adelaide

There is a Karlis Lidums Australian Open 1971 listed in Ozbase, the vast collection of Australian games available to all at:

http://www.ozbase.com.au/games.html

I could not connect to Ozbase for some reason today. The tournament was won by Lajos Portisch.

The games were; “Entered by P Dunn from the bulletins by B H Johnston and various Newspaper reports and Chess in Australia. Thanks to Ian Rogers and Mike Woodhams for Mike Woodhams games. There are some discrepancies between the reports in the bulletins and the reports in CIA which could not be resolved. The crosstable, therefore, may not be correct.”

Thread Information