CC Rookie

2021 Oceania Zonal Tournament

Hey guys, any word on whether or not 2021 zonal will be going ahead in Melb next year? If not, any word on timings/location for an updated event?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRodgers View Post
    Hey guys, any word on whether or not 2021 zonal will be going ahead in Melb next year? If not, any word on timings/location for an updated event?
    Hi Jack, we are working on imminent announcement.

CC International Master
    The information below was just published on the latest ACF newsletter.

1. 2021 Oceania Zonal postponed

Chess Victoria put a lot of effort organising this important event that was originally planned for January 2021.

In order to conduct a successful event in a time of pandemic with limited International travel and local opportunities we suggested that FIDE allows the organisers to create hubs and play online.

FIDE will consider our revolutionary ideas in their December 2020 online General Assembly. Also FIDE needs to clarify how the WCC cycle 2021 will work.

We have to wait and see what transpires.

Leonid Sandler on behalf of the organising committee.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonid Sandler View Post
    The information below was just published on the latest ACF newsletter.

1. 2021 Oceania Zonal postponed

Chess Victoria put a lot of effort organising this important event that was originally planned for January 2021.

In order to conduct a successful event in a time of pandemic with limited International travel and local opportunities we suggested that FIDE allows the organisers to create hubs and play online.

FIDE will consider our revolutionary ideas in their December 2020 online General Assembly. Also FIDE needs to clarify how the WCC cycle 2021 will work.

We have to wait and see what transpires.

Leonid Sandler on behalf of the organising committee.
    Wow....wondering about cheating controls...and whether titles will be available from the online zonal...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Wow....wondering about cheating controls...and whether titles will be available from the online zonal...
    FIDE are not rating any online games so I seriously doubt they would award any OTB titles based on online play.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Account Suspended
    What is a hub?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    FIDE are not rating any online games so I seriously doubt they would award any OTB titles based on online play.
    I doubt they would also allow qualification to the World Cup based on online play. Would they really want an outcome arising from the sort of fiasco that decided the recent online "Olympiad"? But I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    What is a hub?
    Just a guess - does it mean that players assemble in convenient centres where travel is permitted (for instance, capital cities) and play online but under supervision so there is the same security as OTB?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    What is a hub?
    I will try and define a sports hub, which is what is being described here and has been used in the last six months for many sporting teams to allow competitions to go ahead.

A sports hub is where a team stays together, is restricted in where they can travel to and are isolated from the general population.

For instance, with the AFL season just gone, all teams had to live in their hub. Which for each team meant staying together at a hotel or similar accommodation, were transported to games together and had little to no contact to the outside world.

Each team would stay in different locations to avoid cross contact with each other.

At the first half of the 2019 Candidates Tournament in Russia, all eight players and officials stayed in a hub, which was the provided accommodation. They were not permitted to leave their accommodation place without permission and were tested regularly for Corona Virus.

The whole idea of sports hubs is to reduce the possibility of anyone getting Corona Virus and then spreading it to other people in the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    I will try and define a sports hub, which is what is being described here and has been used in the last six months for many sporting teams to allow competitions to go ahead. (...)
    Thanks Garv for a very thorough and succinct explanation!.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Grandmaster
    I will try and define a sports hub, which is what is being described here and has been used in the last six months for many sporting teams to allow competitions to go ahead.

A sports hub is where a team stays together, is restricted in where they can travel to and are isolated from the general population.

For instance, with the AFL season just gone, all teams had to live in their hub. Which for each team meant staying together at a hotel or similar accommodation, were transported to games together and had little to no contact to the outside world.

Each team would stay in different locations to avoid cross contact with each other.

At the first half of the 2019 Candidates Tournament in Russia, all eight players and officials stayed in a hub, which was the provided accommodation. They were not permitted to leave their accommodation place without permission and were tested regularly for Corona Virus.

The whole idea of sports hubs is to reduce the possibility of anyone getting Corona Virus and then spreading it to other people in the hub.
    Hard to imagine such ''hub'' arranged for the zonal tournament given that by the ''national standards'' the even is fairly low key. The complexity and costs involved are likely to be too much to handle.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I doubt they would also allow qualification to the World Cup based on online play. Would they really want an outcome arising from the sort of fiasco that decided the recent online "Olympiad"? But I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just a guess - does it mean that players assemble in convenient centres where travel is permitted (for instance, capital cities) and play online but under supervision so there is the same security as OTB?
    This is pretty much what I was thinking but it would be good to get an answer from the organisers as to whether this is what is meant.

Account Suspended

I am well aware what a hub means in other sports, but I was asking what the organisers mean by a hub. What Ian replied with is something like what I was thinking but without getting an answer from the organisers it is all speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Hard to imagine such ''hub'' arranged for the zonal tournament given that by the ''national standards'' the even is fairly low key. The complexity and costs involved are likely to be too much to handle.
    I think Garvinator gave his interpretation of the hub term, as it was practically implemented in AFL and the FIDE Candidates (under exceptional circumstances).
    I agree with you re our zonal tournaments in regards to not so strong players achieving titles there! (not anymore I think)
    On the other hand I don't agree with it becoming the butt of the joke quite unjustifiably so IMHO.
    Actually there are positive aspects about it for example introducing international chess in countries and areas that wouldn't even dream about it otherwise as well as giving a chance to youngsters representing their countries.
    I was holidaying in NZ the last time the zonal was held there, and I can assure you it was a wonderful celebration of people getting together and having a great time through chess.
    Last edited by ER; 15-11-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Thread Information