Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

2020 MCC Hjorth Online Classic (30 Oct - 3 Nov)

2020 MCC Greg Hjorth Online Classic
    (Friday October 30th – Tuesday November 3rd)

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/ev...online-classic

CLICK HERE FOR WEBSITE

This year due to CoVid-19 restrictions in Melbourne, MCC has decided to hold an online event in Greg Hjorth’s memory instead of the usual over-the-board (OTB) tournament.

The event will comprise 2 tournaments: (1) An invitational tournament for around 20 elite players, and (2) an open tournament for all other players.

MCC thanks the Hjorth family for their continued support of this year’s event in difficult circumstances.

Register: https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbo...online-classic

Format: 9 round Swiss

All games to be played online via Tornelo website. Zoom to be used for arbiter identification and interaction. Any player who does not have a current Tornelo profile will have a new Tornelo profile created.

Time Control: 60 minutes + 10 seconds per move.

Forfeit time: Players are required to be logged into their Tornelo board within 30 minutes of scheduled start time in order to avoid being forfeited.

Timetable:
    (NOTE: All times are set to Melbourne, VIC time)

Entries close (Invitational tournament): Thu 29th Oct, 11.59 pm
    Entries close (Open tournament): Fri 30th Oct, 6.50 pm
    Round 1: Fri 30th Oct, 7.00pm
    Round 2: Sat 31st Oct, 1.00pm
    Round 3: Sat 31st Oct, 4.00pm
    Round 4: Sat 31st Oct, 7.00pm
    Round 5: Sun 1st Nov, 1.00pm
    Round 6: Sun 1st Nov, 4.00pm
    Round 7: Sun 1st Nov, 7.00pm
    Round 8: Mon 2nd Nov, 7.00pm
    Round 9: Tue 3rd Nov, 7.00pm

Entry Fee:

Invitational tournament

Free entry for all accepted players

Open tournament

$20 for MCC Member or MCC Online Discount Pass Holder.
    $40 for Non-MCC Member.
    Free entry for GM/WGM, IM/WIM, and FM/WFM players.

Late entries may be accepted at the arbiters’ discretion up to the start of round 3.
    Refunds are available if withdrawal is notified 24 hours before round 1 of the tournament.

Byes: Up to two half point byes for rounds 1-7 may be taken if approved by an arbiter.

Results/Pairings: Pairings and results will be posted on Chess Chat tournament discussion as well as in Tornelo. Played games and games in progress can be observed in Tornelo.

Invitational tournament
    Pairings will be made on the basis of current FIDE classical ratings.

Open tournament
    To Be Determined.

Prizes:

Invitational tournament
    1st - $600
    2nd - $400
    3rd - $250
    4th - $150

Open tournament
    1st - $400
    2nd - $300
    3rd - $200
    4th - $150
    Rating Prizes – 1st - $150, 2nd - $75
    There shall be a rating group for approximately every 15 players. Rating groups will be announced during the tournament.

How to Register: Please refer to MCC Website (link at top) for further details.

MCC Code of Conduct and anti-online cheating: Please refer to MCC Website (link at top) for further details.

Further Questions: Contact melbchessclub@gmail.com or

Organiser: Thai Ly (0421 912 296, melbchessclub@gmail.com) or

Co-Arbiters: Alexej Khamatgaleev (0426 731 726, lehak10@hotmail.com) and Peter Tsai (0419 324 870, chess@t-s-a-i.com))
    Last edited by Thai Ly; 22-09-2020 at 10:14 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    truly tempting opportunity for me to return to ''slow'' chess after many years of absence! Good job, MCC to run it. I do not think I will be able to play as can not commit so much time to chess...but nevertheless feel tempted!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Rookie
    Hey guys, looks like a great setup for an online event. I just had a few questions; will the tournament be ACF or FIDE rated and for the invitational, how would I go about applying to play in this? I'm 2100 FIDE (2200 ACF) and current NSW champ, not sure if my rating will be high enough to play the invitational. Looking forward to hopefully playing regardless, Jack.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRodgers View Post
    Hey guys, looks like a great setup for an online event. I just had a few questions; will the tournament be ACF or FIDE rated and for the invitational, how would I go about applying to play in this? I'm 2100 FIDE (2200 ACF) and current NSW champ, not sure if my rating will be high enough to play the invitational. Looking forward to hopefully playing regardless, Jack.
    Thanks Jack for your query.

In regard to the first question, the tournament will NOT be submitted for either ACF or FIDE rating. I have been advised that neither organisation currently accepts online played games for rating purposes.

In regard to the second question, MCC is in the process of drawing up a list of high rated players as the initial batch of invitees to the tournament and then sending each of these players an email formally inviting them to play. Almost everyone in this initial batch of invitees is a GM or IM. Once this initial batch of invitees has been done, we will look to a wider base of players as potential invitees.

I am happy for any high rated player to put their hand up to play in the invitational tournament as this will at least put them on MCC's radar for consideration. They can do so by sending me a message via email or SMS or even on Chesschat, as I will be checking this forum regularly between now and the start of the tournament.
    Last edited by Thai Ly; 26-09-2020 at 11:33 PM.

CC Rookie
    Looks interesting, I might give the open a shot. Depends on my final exam schedule which begins at the start of this tournament!

CC FIDE Master

Morris, Dale and Ryjanova confirmed as invitees

MCC is happy to confirm that three of Victoria and MCC's own best players have accepted places in the Hjorth Online Invitational Tournament.

The trio are current multiple MCC Champion IM James Morris, past MCC Champion IM Ari Dale, and 2019 Hjorth Open Champion WGM Julia Ryjanova.

They are all expected to provide stiff competition to the other Invitational players.

CC FIDE Master

GM Daniel Fernandez is in

Just got confirmation that GM Daniel Fernandez has accepted his place to play in the Hjorth Invitational tournament.

List of current Invitational players
    Daniel Fernandez (GM)
    James Morris (IM)
    Ari Dale (IM)
    Julia Ryjanova (WGM)
    Last edited by Thai Ly; 08-10-2020 at 03:06 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    The Hjorth will be played on Tornelo. If you have not used Tornelo as a playing platform here is a video to help familiarise.

https://youtu.be/sWl4c-K7-Hk

I hope you decide to play

CC Rookie

Free Entry to MCC Allegro for Hjorth Participants

MCC has decided to grant free entry for this week's Allegro for anybody who has entered into the Hjorth Open and wants to practice on Tornelo (select Hjorth practice category when registering):

https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbo...gro-online--30

CC FIDE Master
    To play in the Hjorth you will have to create an account on Tornelo to play the games and download Zoom so that you can share your screen and video. I have written a quick how to, which explains what you have to do.

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/ho...om-and-tornelo

CC FIDE Master

Update on Invitational Entries

MCC has been busy seeking further invitees to participate in the Invitational tournaments.

Below is a current list of players who accepted their invitations to play, a number of whom have played in recent MCC Saturday Allegros to familiarise themselves with Tornelo's interface:

Entries
    GM Daniel Fernandez
    GM Mouthun Ly [tentative]
    IM James Morris
    IM Trevor Tao [tentative]
    IM Ari Dale
    IM Irene Sukander
    IM Stephen Solomon
    WGM Julia Ryjanova

We hope to confirm more entries over the next few days, though it has been tricky as some players need to confirm availability given upcoming work arrangements and university exams.

CC FIDE Master

Enter now and get free entry to this Saturday's (24 Oct) MCC Allegro!

As noted in the Chesschat thread for the MCC Saturday Online Allegro, anyone who has entered the Hjorth Online Classic will be able to play in the MCC Online Allegro that will be held this Saturday 24 October.

Below is the original message in the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by hanngo View Post
    MCC has decided to grant free entry for this week's Allegro for anybody who has entered into the Hjorth Open and wants to practice on Tornelo (select Hjorth practice category when registering):

https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbo...gro-online--30

Presumably I can leave my computer at any point?

Edit: also at what point does the list of players update in Tornelo? Hasn't appeared to be updated for a few days...
    Last edited by Lighty; 22-10-2020 at 04:20 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    Presumably I can leave my computer at any point?

Edit: also at what point does the list of players update in Tornelo? Hasn't appeared to be updated for a few days...
    I would think with slow chess, you can go to bathroom, walk around, take 10 min break from the board to do yoga etc and honesty system applies...or will everyone be playing on WebCam?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I would think with slow chess, you can go to bathroom, walk around, take 10 min break from the board to do yoga etc and honesty system applies...or will everyone be playing on WebCam?
    Zoom facecam, along with screen sharing, will be used. Thing is I'm sort of used to getting up and walking around after a move, and also going out for 'fresh air'.

'

Thread Information