Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC Grandmaster
    I'll post this here as it's related to the girls' match. But there is already a thread for general Qld chess history.

7) Junior Match, Queensland AUS - Florida USA
    ==========================================

by Ian Murray 100231@compuserve.com

An interstate telechess match with a difference - the two states were Queensland, Australia, and Florida, USA. Juggling time zones, play started at 5.30pm US EST July 29 (7.30am Aus EST July 30) at Patch Reef Park Community Center, Boca Raton, Florida, and Bond University, Gold Coast, Queensland.

Full details are here.

CC Rookie
    Thanks for that Patrick and Ian. Had forgotten that this report existed. Of our 8 players I think only GM Smerdon is semi-active. I haven't seen much chess activity from the others. I now remember there was a chess playing professor of IT at Bond who arranged the venue for free. I think we had a visiting Vietnamese IM or FM helping us with transmission. This is why I am trying to get as much of this into a spreadsheet and into a State Archive - I had forgotten a lot of this - and I organised it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    Hi Stephen, Cannot remember if i have answered your comment. Short term memory is going! I am fairly sure Connie has retired. I know a bit about what happened to the 8 players. Kimberley I think is a vet in England now. Graeme Gardiner keeps in contact with the "Oarsome Foursome" so he would know for sure. I believe Connie and Andrea are married and living in Brisbane. Was just going through the results of the Qld Junior Champs from 1998 and noticed that Shilo won the U/16 from Allinta Rose 2nd. Shiloh also placed 2nd in the U/18s to David Smerdon. You were playing your play-off match with GM Rogers for the Australian title at the same time as the Juniors! I don't know what Shiloh is doing but I did hear that Allinta went on to do law. Have not heard anything about Chathri. Chiara went on to become a medical doctor. Haven't heard about Anne-Maree Ireland.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/as...3/1486227/18- PDF file
    Anne-Maree Ireland Principal Lawyer Litigation Branch I Environmental Services and Regulation Department of Environment and Science P 07 3330 6184 I F 07 3330 5634 Level 7, 400 George Street, Brisbane Qld 4000 GPO Box 2454, Brisbane Qld 4001
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Rookie
    Thanks for that Antichrist. Truly an impressive bunch of girls!

CC Candidate Master

Fearsome Foursome

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    Hi Stephen, Cannot remember if i have answered your comment. Short term memory is going! I am fairly sure Connie has retired. I know a bit about what happened to the 8 players. Kimberley I think is a vet in England now. Graeme Gardiner keeps in contact with the "Oarsome Foursome" so he would know for sure. I believe Connie and Andrea are married and living in Brisbane. Was just going through the results of the Qld Junior Champs from 1998 and noticed that Shilo won the U/16 from Allinta Rose 2nd. Shiloh also placed 2nd in the U/18s to David Smerdon. You were playing your play-off match with GM Rogers for the Australian title at the same time as the Juniors! I don't know what Shiloh is doing but I did hear that Allinta went on to do law. Have not heard anything about Chathri. Chiara went on to become a medical doctor. Haven't heard about Anne-Maree Ireland.
    I can say that Kimberley Orth is now a vet in Canberra, Catherine Jackson is a GP on the Gold Coast, Sallyann Nicholas is a lawyer and police prosecuting officer in the Northern Territory and Penny Cooper is a partner with PWC in Perth. All four are married with children. (Incidentally Chris Page also works as a director with PWC in Perth, takeovers and mergers. He is also married with a child).

Thread Information