Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Rookie

Qld. Girls v Florida Girls - ChessLinq match Sunday 22-10-1995

Just came across results from a match between the above mentioned group of Girls played in 1995. Has anyone ever tracked what percentage of players go on to become regular tournament players? Are any of these girls still playing tournament chess? We won 7-1.

Board 1. Kimberley Orth 1368 Qld Jnr rating v Jennie Freklakh USCF rating 0-1
    Board 2. Diana Ong 1443 USCF v Connie Constantinou 1304 0-1
    Board 3. Shiloh Norris 1287 v Sam Nhang 1250 USCF 1-0
    Board 4. Johanna Garcia 1200 USCF v Cathri Amaratunge 1090 0-1
    Board 5. Allinta Rose 1058 v Jocelyn Lee 1105 USCF 1-0
    Board 6. Jennifer Chen 942 USCF v Chiara Pizzato 1012 0-1
    Board 7. Anne-Marie Ireland 966 v Rachel Chou 690 USCF 1-0
    Board 8. Jessica Viveiros and Marcella Molina v Anrea Constantinou 901.

The match was arranged by Connie Pizzato and a chess parent/organiser in the USA. I will find his name later. As I remember it was played before you could play on the net using a mouse and screen etc. The clocks we used had a morse code type system that would allow the move/time to be relayed along with the manual entering of the move. I still have the scoresheets but they were printed out on fax paper and are now completely blank!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Corker View Post
    Just came across results from a match between the above mentioned group of Girls played in 1995. Has anyone ever tracked what percentage of players go on to become regular tournament players? Are any of these girls still playing tournament chess? We won 7-1.

The match was arranged by Connie Pizzato and a chess parent/organiser in the USA. I will find his name later. As I remember it was played before you could play on the net using a mouse and screen etc. The clocks we used had a morse code type system that would allow the move/time to be relayed along with the manual entering of the move. I still have the scoresheets but they were printed out on fax paper and are now completely blank!
    The current status of your fax paper is typical of the unfortunate response to your thread.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster

There's a small typo - it should be "Andrea" Constantinou.

Most girls stop playing seriously when they become adults, as do most boys. But because there are so few girls playing, the number of women players is very small. I don't believe that any of those female players is still active.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post

Most girls stop playing seriously when they become adults, as do most boys. But because there are so few girls playing, the number of women players is very small. I don't believe that any of those female players is still active.
    But there is the hope that they will teach their children well
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Are you sure that is a typo.
    There is a Connie Constantinou from QLD who is 4 years older than Andrea.

Connie played in the Queensland vs Florida match in July 1995.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Are you sure that is a typo.
    There is a Connie Constantinou from QLD who is 4 years older than Andrea.

Connie played in the Queensland vs Florida match in July 1995.
    Andrea is mentioned on board 8 as Anrea.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Andrea is mentioned on board 8 as Anrea.
    That's the mistake I was referring to. Connie and Andrea were sisters.

CC Candidate Master
    Thankyou Kerry, and also especially Alan (BB) for all the historical anecdotes! Connie Pizzato is an angel, and organized many things then and since then. Is she still coaching at Somerville House?

Connie (Constantia) Constantinou was a very promising player. I'd love to know what she and Shiloh and the others are doing now.
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

CC Rookie
    Thanks Patrick. I think it should also be Chathri Amaratunge not Cathri. I had Cathri on one source and Chathri on another. Now cast your mind back to the heady days of the 1992 Qld. Teams Allegro Championships! See my next post.

CC Rookie
    Yes, they both played in the match and it is Andrea. And it is Chathri Amaratunge. I have now found the game scores print out from CA 4.0 if anyone is interested.
    I am compiling a giant Excel spreadsheet of all CAQ Inc. chess activity since the beginning of time. Each year I hope to send an updated version to our State Archives for storage.
    At the moment I am going through all the bits of paper and tournament reports that i have in my possession. Eventually I will branch out to places such as Trove and old chess columns. If anyone is interested, i can send them a copy of the excel file. It is going to make it a lot easier for historians of the future - and the past, if Einstein is right about time being non-linear.

CC Rookie
    Hi Stephen, Cannot remember if i have answered your comment. Short term memory is going! I am fairly sure Connie has retired. I know a bit about what happened to the 8 players. Kimberley I think is a vet in England now. Graeme Gardiner keeps in contact with the "Oarsome Foursome" so he would know for sure. I believe Connie and Andrea are married and living in Brisbane. Was just going through the results of the Qld Junior Champs from 1998 and noticed that Shilo won the U/16 from Allinta Rose 2nd. Shiloh also placed 2nd in the U/18s to David Smerdon. You were playing your play-off match with GM Rogers for the Australian title at the same time as the Juniors! I don't know what Shiloh is doing but I did hear that Allinta went on to do law. Have not heard anything about Chathri. Chiara went on to become a medical doctor. Haven't heard about Anne-Maree Ireland.

CC Rookie
    Qld. Teams Allegro Championships 1992 results:
    1st. The Tiny Teddies - Andrew Allen, Andrew Meldrum, Patrick Byrom, David McKinnon
    2nd. The Bad Bishops - Juan Kloostra, Terry Dunne, Mark Craven, Keith Whittam
    Junior - Suncoast Juniors - Matthew Kerr, Nik Stawski, Alistair Kerr, Trevor Rodwell
    Cadet - The Killer Kings - Paul Kalokerinos (went on to be Australian U/16 Champ.) Toby Hopf (went on to win Australian U/12 Champs.) David Smerdon (went on to draw with the World Champ. in 2016 Olympiad) and David Spiers.
    I'm guessing a lot of the above still play online. As i remember, we held this event as a fundraiser for the Olympiad Team. Not such a bad idea. Every area of the state could hold their own event and raise funds for the Olympiad. I think people still enjoy a bit of teams chess.

Hi Stephen, Cannot remember if i have answered your comment. Short term memory is going! I am fairly sure Connie has retired. I know a bit about what happened to the 8 players. Kimberley I think is a vet in England now. Graeme Gardiner keeps in contact with the "Oarsome Foursome" so he would know for sure. I believe Connie and Andrea are married and living in Brisbane. Was just going through the results of the Qld Junior Champs from 1998 and noticed that Shilo won the U/16 from Allinta Rose 2nd. Shiloh also placed 2nd in the U/18s to David Smerdon. You were playing your play-off match with GM Rogers for the Australian title at the same time as the Juniors! I don't know what Shiloh is doing but I did hear that Allinta went on to do law. Have not heard anything about Chathri. Chiara went on to become a medical doctor. Haven't heard about Anne-Maree Ireland.
    With that brain power no wonder the Yanks got thrashed.

... Shiloh also placed 2nd in the U/18s to David Smerdon. You were playing your play-off match with GM Rogers for the Australian title at the same time as the Juniors!
    Amazing piece of Australian chess history, thanks for sharing!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Thankyou Kerry, and also especially Alan (BB) for all the historical anecdotes! Connie Pizzato is an angel, and organized many things then and since then. Is she still coaching at Somerville House? Connie (Constantia) Constantinou was a very promising player. I'd love to know what she and Shiloh and the others are doing now.
    Connie Pizzato retired from Somerville House a few years ago, although she's still coaching and involved in junior chess. I don't know much about the others.

Thread Information