Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 196 to 210 of 210
  1. #196
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    New Zealand women performed well, especially considering how young they are. Vyanla Punsalan scored 8/10 at board 2 (some of her games were very entertaining, with my personal favourite her 15 move mate as Black in a Caro-Kann) and two conditional titles (rating requirements still to be met) were achieved - WCM for Weiyang Yu at board 4 and WFM for Anya Thurner at board 5.

    Our open team was a bit unlucky in being in the bottom half of the score group in the last round so got a hard match instead of an easier one. Daniel Gong missed a few wins in his game and had to settle for a draw, leaving him half a point short of an IM norm, but his performance clearly showed the IM title is not out of reach. John Stark needed to win to get a direct FM title but couldn't quite pull it off.
    Would John win his last round game, he would qualify for an FM title while rated 2028...and performing below his rating .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  2. #197
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Would John win his last round game, he would qualify for an FM title while rated 2028...and performing below his rating .
    I think the FM titles are conditional on a player getting their rating over 2100.

    There are 44 conditional FM titles list here https://chess-results.com/tnr653631....art=60&flag=30

    There were also 8 GM norms and 8 IM norms from the olympiad including 2 Sri Lankans and a Zimbabwian getting IM norms. https://chess-results.com/tnr653631....art=62&flag=30

  3. #198
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    I think the FM titles are conditional on a player getting their rating over 2100.

    There are 44 conditional FM titles list here https://chess-results.com/tnr653631....art=60&flag=30

    There were also 8 GM norms and 8 IM norms from the olympiad including 2 Sri Lankans and a Zimbabwian getting IM norms. https://chess-results.com/tnr653631....art=62&flag=30
    The post I was quoting says ''direct'' title so I assumed its not conditional. Re players from no chess countries getting norms - I think its absolutely great! gives some of them a rare chance to fight for the norms and earn them fair and square!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #199
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,937
    Pia Cramling again proves class is permanent, winning the gold medal for board 1 in the Women's Olympiad.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  5. #200
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Pia Cramling again proves class is permanent, winning the gold medal for board 1 in the Women's Olympiad.
    Yes, definitely. She played her first Olympiad in 1978 and has played on the Sweden Open team a number of times. It must also be great to play on a team with your daughter.

  6. #201
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    343
    John Stark's rating has been over 2200 in the past so he easily meets the requirements for the direct FM title. Sad that he missed out.

  7. #202
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Yes, definitely. She played her first Olympiad in 1978 and has played on the Sweden Open team a number of times. It must also be great to play on a team with your daughter.
    And coached by Husband/daugher's father .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #203
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Would John win his last round game, he would qualify for an FM title while rated 2028...and performing below his rating .
    His highest past rating is 2207, so while that's obviously short of 2300, he also wouldn't be waiting on rating if his score was high enough.

    He was originally selected as the non-travelling reserve, but stepped in 3 days before the Olympiad after Stephen Lukey tested positive for Covid. The lack of prep and serious over the board chess obviously showed a bit.
    IA Craig Hall

    www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

  9. #204
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    His highest past rating is 2207, so while that's obviously short of 2300, he also wouldn't be waiting on rating if his score was high enough.

    He was originally selected as the non-travelling reserve, but stepped in 3 days before the Olympiad after Stephen Lukey tested positive for Covid. The lack of prep and serious over the board chess obviously showed a bit.
    I think the issue is not level of play of a particular player but the general problem that some players get FM titles (just like from zonals) without being 2300. Same applies to other titles, this is why some 2200 rated players refuse to apply for CM titles - now that so many got it - they feel silly applying for it. We currently have a player in Melbourne who is trying hard to get his fide to 2200 to get his IM title for finishing 2nd in Ocenia Juniior championships (He was around 2160 at his peak I think but now went down a fair bit)...

    so its not about John - it is about the trend at large.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #205
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    9,246
    Was an interesting Olympiad to follow at a distance. Both AU and NZ had some very good moments. Hard to go past AU beating Norway and giving USA a run for their money.
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  11. #206
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    69
    The final wrap report for the Australian Open team at the Olympiad. So close to a record placing but a great result overall by this ambitious team. It's been my pleasure to bring Chesschat coverage throughout. Thanks for keeping the conversation lively!

    https://www.chess.com/blog/JackRodge...captains-recap

  12. #207
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRodgers View Post
    The final wrap report for the Australian Open team at the Olympiad. So close to a record placing but a great result overall by this ambitious team. It's been my pleasure to bring Chesschat coverage throughout. Thanks for keeping the conversation lively!

    https://www.chess.com/blog/JackRodge...captains-recap
    Well written report highlighting games and match situations. Thanks Jack!

    Also well done both Open and women's team playing some of the tough teams and getting a decent result.

  13. #208
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,520
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  14. #209
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,728
    Excellent by Temur.

    Thank you for posting Desmond

  15. #210
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    9,246
    Congratulations to Jack on excellent captain's reports!!
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ACF Olympiad Appeal - 2022 (was 2020, 2021)
    By Ian Murray in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 11-07-2022, 08:44 AM
  2. Candidates 2022 Madrid June 16 - July 7
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 05-07-2022, 05:20 AM
  3. 2022 Australian Olympiad Teams
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-06-2022, 03:39 PM
  4. Tokyo Olympics (23 July - 8 August 2021)
    By Ian Rout in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-08-2021, 09:25 PM
  5. GCCC Championship (19 July - 30 August)
    By Dusan in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 30-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •