Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stop killing

Wind farms are hardly the bird slayers they’re made out to be. Here’s why

People who oppose wind farms often claim wind turbine blades kill large numbers of birds, often referring to them as “bird choppers”. And claims of dangers to iconic or rare birds, especially raptors, have attracted a lot of attention.

Wind turbine blades do indeed kill birds and bats, but their contribution to total bird deaths is extremely low, as these three studies show. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post

(1) [A] study found wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds each year in the US. It is worth noting that data from 2014 revealed that bird deaths from collisions with power lines in the US numbered 12 to 64 million, but the latter are more prevalent than wind turbines so it is a tricky comparison.[/I]
    A rather biased irrelevant comparison, power lines have been there for much longer than a century, and are n times more than wind-turbines which are like new kids on the block so to speak!
    Their murderous re bird killing, potential hasn't yet been realised!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Back to the thread's topic, my veganism period, which this time lasted exactly six months (longest ever) has been (in)gloriously terminated.
    Main culprits my partner's lobster in the freezer, a late night musaka escapade and Narelle's reference to chocolates which had me agonisingly fantasising of Belgian praline chocolates a whole night.
    After all I went back to my favourite Oscar Wilde's dictum "I can resist anything but temptation"!
    Last edited by ER; 21-10-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    ...Their murderous re bird killing, potential hasn't yet been realised!
    Murderous is very emotive language used my people who wish to denigrate Wind farms without looking at the bigger picture - I suggest you read the whole article. Also see Ian’s link above.

[Posts maybe better off in the Climate Change thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    Murderous is very emotive language
    Talking about emotive language, you should check language used by the person who started this thread.
    You don't seem to mind it!

I suggest you read the whole article.

keep your suggestions to yourself particularly when not asked to provide them

Also see Ian’s link above.

I am sick and tired of debunking his party line nonsense

ok the above was uncalled for and stupid on my behalf!

[Posts maybe better off in the Climate Change thread]
    Correct!
    Last edited by ER; 21-10-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

CC Grandmaster
    This abstract summarises the main causes of human-related bird deaths in the US. Not surprisingly, 'feral' cats are by far the main killers.

Understanding and reversing the widespread population declines of birds require estimating the magnitude of all mortality sources. Numerous anthropogenic mortality sources directly kill birds. Cause-specific annual mortality in the United States varies from billions (cat predation) to hundreds of millions (building and automobile collisions), tens of millions (power line collisions), millions (power line electrocutions, communication tower collisions), and hundreds of thousands (wind turbine collisions). However, great uncertainty exists about the independent and cumulative impacts of this mortality on avian populations. ...

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for clarifying about the fences Kevin. I hadn't thought about birds flying into them although I seem to vaguely remember hearing that it happens before. Out of interest does anyone know why birds fly into fences when they don't fly into the trunks of trees or the sides of large rocks. My guess is that fences weren't around when they evolved whilst tree trunks and large rocks were. I was also wondering why birds don't fly into buildings or fences in the city. Birds flying into fences is the lesser of the 2 evils when compared to poisoning mammals as mammals are more closely related to humans than birds are. I'm not sure how fences would stop rabbits from eating crops as rabbits could just dig under them.

CC Candidate Master
    Sorry for mentioning chocolate Elliot.

Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    Thanks for clarifying about the fences Kevin. I hadn't thought about birds flying into them although I seem to vaguely remember hearing that it happens before. Out of interest does anyone know why birds fly into fences when they don't fly into the trunks of trees or the sides of large rocks. My guess is that fences weren't around when they evolved whilst tree trunks and large rocks were.
    The results of research into bird vision are being applied to wind turbines, albeit on a small scale as yet.

Painting wind turbines black could help protect birds – as long as it doesn’t disrupt their migration

I was also wondering why birds don't fly into buildings or fences in the city.
    They do, in a big way. Buildings, particularly windows, are one of the major causes of bird deaths.

Glass collisions: It's a huge problem for birds. Up to a billion birds die in collisions with glass each year in the United States. ...
    https://abcbirds.org/program/glass-collisions/

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Today’s presidential debate …

“I know more about wind than you do,” Trump retorted. “It’s extremely expensive, kills all the birds, it’s very intermittent, it’s got a lot of problems, and they happen to make the windmills in both Germany and China. And the fumes coming up — if you’re a believer in carbon emission — the fumes coming up to make these massive windmills is more than anything that we are talking about with natural gas.”

Biden asked him to “find me a scientist who says that.”

wind.png

Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    Sorry for mentioning chocolate Elliot.
    haha, not a problem Narelle, I enjoyed immensely those Belgian pralines!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wrong

Thread Information