Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    At the risk of stating the blindly obvious chess is just a game. All the other stuff is more a reflection of the world (society?) we live in.

Often people draw parallels between chess and life and mostly it just plain bonkers.
    I remember a letter to the Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald by the late WC Wentworth that the Russians were not to be trusted because in their favourite game chess the knight moved crookedly.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    Adams obviously doesn't watch Media Watch, which regularly runs stories critical of the ABC - although in this case it's the Murdoch press that were the targets.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    This cliche is so common that Fox and James (authors of the Compleat Chess Addict) in their columns had a recurring section called IAGOCOT. They eventually had to wind their use of it back because they had too much material.
    Interesting, I did not know that. It took me a while to work out that IAGOCOT is an acronym for my quote (if Iíd omitted the Ďlikeí), I guess it shows how common the phrase is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I remember a letter to the Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald by the late WC Wentworth that the Russians were not to be trusted because in their favourite game chess the knight moved crookedly.
    Ha, good one! Brings to mind POTUSís quote ĎItís like you have to be a grand chess master. And we donít have any of them.' When talking about international trade agreements back in 2016. https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...chess-prowess/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    hehe good one! … after all well known is the case when the WC Wilhelm Steinitz got arrested for being mistakenly suspected as

steinitz.PNG

In another less known anecdote, as quoted from

My chess notes and memories handbook Some years ago we were on the Melbourne to Geelong train for the Aus Champs (or was it Aus Open?) when chess characters like IM James Morris, Frank Lekkas and others were loudly analyzing positions using chess lingo like BxN ch a ex b, Qg7 ch etc in a very animated way. The lady across my seat turned to me inquisitively as I was following their analysis quietly and putting her finger on her temple asked me in sign language "are they mad or something?" I put my most conspiratorial face on and nodded on the affirmative! She took off and hurriedly sought out a less insane environment in another car!
    Last edited by ER; 08-07-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Rookie
    A bit late to this thread, but one thing I was surprised not to see anywhere mentioned so far is FIDE's motto: Gens una sumus (lit. "we are one race".)

Surely this expression of the sense of kinship amongst chess players worldwide that transcends cultural, ethnic or language differences speaks volumes to the notion that somehow chess is a "racist" pursuit. A strong move is recognised and respected as such regardless of the colour of the pieces (or the player.)

(Of course, there were some problematic comments made by a certain American WC from time to time back in the day, but the sentiment reflected by FIDE's motto remains at least an aspiration ideal! ;-)

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Should certain w*rds be banned from Scrabble?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...should-afraid/

You'll really know cancel culture is coming for Scrabble if it asks it to ban words that don't exist.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information