Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Brett Mullan

  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand in spirit
    Posts
    631

    Brett Mullan

    Saddened to read that Dr. Brett Mullan, an eminent climate scientist, life member of the New Zealand Meteorological Society and lifelong chess enthusiast, passed away last week after a long battle with cancer. Brett was a member of the Wellington Chess Club. I remember Brett well from our time together at Civic Chess Club from 1982 to 1988. Brett was a quietly spoken, likeable fellow and we had some enjoyable games together. He was also a member of the very successful Civic B grade team in the now defunct Wellington Interclub Championship. Condolences to his family. Brett will be missed.

    Link to article about Brett: https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...limate-science
    Last edited by CivicChessMan; 02-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,885
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicChessMan View Post
    Saddened to read that Dr. Brett Mullan, an eminent climate scientist, life member of the New Zealand Meteorological Society and lifelong chess enthusiast, passed away last week after a long battle with cancer. Brett was a member of the Wellington Chess Club. I remember Brett well from our time together at Civic Chess Club from 1982 to 1988. Brett was a quietly spoken, likeable fellow and we had some enjoyable games together. He was also a member of the very successful Civic B grade team in the now defunct Wellington Interclub Championship. Condolences to his family. Brett will be missed.

    Link to article about Brett: https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...limate-science
    Very sad news. I also have good memories of Brett and played against him. May he rest in peace.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,651
    Sorry to hear that. I remember him as a quiet player although I ever had a game with him. Didn't know he was so eminent in his own field.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  4. #4
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NZer now in Sydney
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I remember him as a quiet player although I ever had a game with him. Didn't know he was so eminent in his own field.
    I played brett often but can only find one game.
    Perhaps he beat me in the rest.

    [Event "civic autumn"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2001.05.08"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "mullan brett"]
    [Black "Marner, Gavin"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B94"]
    [WhiteElo "1890"]
    [BlackElo "1939"]
    [PlyCount "116"]
    [EventDate "2001.??.??"]

    1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Qd2 Qc7 8.
    O-O-O b5 9. f3 Bb7 10. Nf5 Rc8 11. a3 h6 12. Bh4 g6 13. Ne3 Bg7 14. Kb1 Nb6 15.
    Bd3 Nfd7 16. Be1 Qc5 17. Rc1 b4 18. axb4 Qxb4 19. Ned1 O-O 20. Nd5 Nxd5 21.
    Qxb4 Nxb4 22. Bxb4 Nc5 23. Ne3 Na4 24. c3 Nc5 25. Bc2 h5 26. Rcd1 Ne6 27. Rhe1
    Nd8 28. Nd5 Nc6 29. Ba3 Rb8 30. Ka2 Rfe8 31. Ba4 Ba8 32. Nc7 Rec8 33. Nxa6 Rb6
    34. Bxc6 Bxc6 35. Nb4 Ba4 36. Rd5 Bd7 37. Ra5 Be6+ 38. Nd5 Kh7 39. Rd1 Rb7 40.
    Rd3 h4 41. Ka1 Be5 42. h3 f5 43. exf5 Bxf5 44. Re3 e6 45. f4 Bg7 46. Nb4 Bh6
    47. Rf3 Rc4 48. Nd3 d5 49. Ra6 Re4 50. Nc5 Re1+ 51. Ka2 Bb1+ 52. Ka1 Bd3+ 53.
    Ka2 Bc4+ 54. b3 Bxa6 55. Nxa6 Ra7 56. Nc5 Re2+ 57. Kb1 Rxa3 58. b4 Bg7 0-1

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,651
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinM View Post
    I played brett often but can only find one game.
    Perhaps he beat me in the rest.

    [Event "civic autumn"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2001.05.08"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "mullan brett"]
    [Black "Marner, Gavin"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B94"]
    [WhiteElo "1890"]
    [BlackElo "1939"]
    [PlyCount "116"]
    [EventDate "2001.??.??"]

    PGN Viewer
     
    Tough game. Looks like Black's B-pair already had an edge over the P, when White might have thought, aha, forking the Rs with 56.Nc5. But this allowed Black to force a deadly discovered check.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Brett Tindall != chesslover
    By shaun in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-02-2004, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •