Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Some of the discussion is off-topic. Michael Baron is arguing against the US invasion of Afghanistan because he supports a policy of US isolationism in general, and I am using WWII as a counter-example to his argument.
    WW2 is not a counter example.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Note that posts to the Taliban thread declaring other posts to that thread to be off topic are themselves off topic and likely to be deleted.

I've made a ruling that allows for discussion of World War II as an example of principle within certain limits.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC FIDE Master
    Can you please reconsider your decision and ban all mention of WW2 from the Taliban thread

CC FIDE Master
    Post 171 of the World War 1 & 2 thread is off topic, it contains nothing to do with either world war. Please delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Post 171 of the World War 1 & 2 thread is off topic, it contains nothing to do with either world war. Please delete it.
    No.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    No.
    Okay, then, I have asked Ian how it is on topic.

Can you please reconsider your decision and ban all mention of WW2 from the Taliban thread
    I'm not going to reconsider a decision because someone doesn't like it. You need to provide reasoned arguments as to why I should reconsider it. If you do that I will consider them.

It's standard practice here that posters are entitled to query the consistency of comments posters have made on a thread with views they hold on other issues, and it's also entirely on-topic to argue that a poster's position would be a problem if generalised in certain ways to other issues. So long as it's not a deliberate threadjack because someone really wants to talk about something entirely different, or AC being silly with analogies, there's no problem and if there is then a natural thread drift into unrelated areas that can be moved.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Should the Trolley Problem thread be in Politics, rather than in Non Chess? It's not really a political issue.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Should the Trolley Problem thread be in Politics, rather than in Non Chess? It's not really a political issue.
    Does Philosphy count as science? Perhaps it could be in that section.

CC Grandmaster
    Does Philosphy count as science? Perhaps it could be in that section.
    A few commentators think that philosophy can be reduced to a branch of science. But I agree with the author of that article - science is based on philosophy.

There is a sub-section of "Non-Chess" titled "Religion and Science", which contains a lot of philosophical discussion. But non-theological philosophical discussions have been fairly rare, so I don't think we need a separate thread.

It's something of an artefact of the history of debates on this board that we even have a section called "religion and science". Philosophy is neither but talks about both; I doubt anyone would care much if philosophy threads went in there too but for the time being I moved it to generic non-chess.

Can a mod.place a "cancelled" note on the title, please? Thanks in advance.http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....247#post485247

Thread drift from #3100 in the Wuhan Coronavirus thread - suggest move to Asylum Seekers

Thread Information