Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resigning

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Why would a player who wanted to lower their rating by losing games wait until they had reached the blatantly obvious winning position of K+Q vs K and then resign? Surely they would have made a deliberate losing 'blunder' many moves earlier?
    Yes, you would think it would normally be possible to throw a game without getting a winning position first. For that to happen would probably require either serious incompetence or some special circumstance. One that comes to mind is that the player went into the game with a chance of winning something if other results went the right way, but once that possibility evaporated the player moved to Plan B of ditching rating points.

Another possibility is that both players were trying to lose.

But most explanations would really involve fantasy scenarios that you can't imagine happening in real life.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    There was a situation in a tournament as recently as last month, where a player drawn with black didn't feel well enough to play his game, and wanted to withdraw from the tournament, but chose to show up out of respect for his opponent and resign, rather than no-show.

Unfortunately, his opponent was a little late in showing up (it was a morning round).

After the opponent showed up and played his first move as white, the player resigned.

This lead to the arbiter having to review the rules as to whether or not this was a result that should be submitted for rating (it turned out no).
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Two cases

1) Witnessed. Some years ago in a club tournament, player A had a clearly winning position but was very short on time!
    His junior opponent player B kept on finding moves to avoid getting mated as much as he could. Player A with his flag about to fall resigned and left in disgust!

2) Was part of During a national competition in Sydney, I was playing a micro junior, whom I was beating easily. Then he started crying uncontrollably and
    looking very distressed. I approached the arbiter G.B. and told him that I was willing to resign rather than being a part of a major disturbance in the playing hall (*)
    G.B. told me to return to my table and keep on playing. At the same time he came over along with the junior's mum and consoled him. (Interfering with play? ) Game concluded with me taking the point!

(*) some looked at me in a "what have you done to the kid" type of look on their faces!
    Last edited by ER; 18-04-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    2) Was part of During a national competition in Sydney, I was playing a micro junior, whom I was beating easily. Then he started crying uncontrollably and
    looking very distressed. I approached the arbiter G.B. and told him that I was willing to resign rather than being a part of a major disturbance in the playing hall (*)
    G.B. told me to return to my table and keep on playing. At the same time he came over along with the junior's mum and consoled him. (Interfering with play? ) Game concluded with me taking the point! ...
    A difficult circumstance that I've had to deal with a few times at junior clubs (not, fortunately, as a player). But wouldn't offering a draw be a better solution than resigning?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    … But wouldn't offering a draw be a better solution than resigning?
    Absolutely!!! however, being confused and taken aback by the whole situation, I didn't even think of that solution!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    With very weak juniors in these kinds of situations it is sometimes important to distinguish between them resigning and incorrectly believing they've been checkmated.

FEN Viewer

Black confidently plays Qg7-c7+, stops the clock and holds out his hand. White shakes black's hand (pre-COVID-19) and the players report a result of 0-1.

In fact White has an unlosable position because Kxc7 is the only legal move. Unless white has clearly stated that they resign, or unless it is too late to continue the game, the arbiter can rule that the game is still in progress and ask the players to continue. The arbiter has discretion to continue the game even if scoresheets have been signed, but there are limits to this (certainly it shouldn't be done after the next round has been paired, for example).

Immediately interpreting white's actions as a resignation, aside from being unwarranted, would have the perverse impact that white loses because white still has mating material, whereas without the rook ...Qc7+ would immediately end the game (draw by dead position).
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Thanks; think that's the first time I've ever heard of someone being sanctioned for it in Australia. A while back there was sometimes half-joking speculation that a few players were deliberately hovering just below 2000.
    lol - if there was anyone seriously doing that, they would have felt like numpties if the national ratings officer decided to add an upwards adjustment to everyone's ratings!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

That Kevin one above with Q vs R is very funny!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    That Kevin one above with Q vs R is very funny!
    That's not a real case but a hypothetical one based on having often seen weak juniors not realise that the king can take an unprotected queen. Also, confident opponents often sucker more timid opponents into thinking a move is mate when it isn't.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information