Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Colour differences in results

Just added up my results in rated games with each colour for all the rated/rateable games I've kept records of (which is nearly every one I've ever played):

White +437 =127 -85 (77.1%)
    Black +402 =146 -101 (73.2%)

Over my first 400 games I scored a few percent better with white, over the next 100 (around 1999-2000) I did much better with black, over the 300 after that about the same with both colours. Then in the next 100 after that (2006-8) I had eight black losses to zero white, and in the c. 400 since that I've been about seven percentage points better with white.

Not sure if the change over time means anything or if it's just random variation.

Anyone else who has done this may have results to compare. At GM level white scores about 55:45 these days, but first move advantage reduces at lower rating levels and also faster time controls.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    You have won a lot of chess games

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Just added up my results in rated games with each colour for all the rated/rateable games I've kept records of (which is nearly every one I've ever played):

White +437 =127 -85 (77.1%)
    Black +402 =146 -101 (73.2%)

Over my first 400 games I scored a few percent better with white, over the next 100 (around 1999-2000) I did much better with black, over the 300 after that about the same with both colours. Then in the next 100 after that (2006-8) I had eight black losses to zero white, and in the c. 400 since that I've been about seven percentage points better with white.

Not sure if the change over time means anything or if it's just random variation.

Anyone else who has done this may have results to compare. At GM level white scores about 55:45 these days, but first move advantage reduces at lower rating levels and also faster time controls.
    At amateur level, many players do better with black than white as they master their openings to a greater extent.
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 05-04-2020 at 12:50 AM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    White: +36 =21 -32 (52.2%)
    Black: +47 =14 -31 (58.7%)

Edit to add: I genuinely would not have guessed that I've scored better with Black.

Quote Originally Posted by I don't know View Post
    You have won a lot of chess games
    I've been one of the higher-rated players in Tasmania for a very long time, and used to play 50-60 rated games a year (these days down to about 30 even before COVID-19). There are a few dozen more games missing from the records above, mostly wins.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    At amateur level, many players do better with black than white as they master their openings to a greater extent.
    In my case I realize it is a harder fight so adjust my attitude accordingly. At amateur levels I think many players attack too early. Especially with white. Also end game competency varies greatly at amateur level.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think this was the case with me with the French. Early on I scored much better with the French (I have always played 1...e6 against 1.e4) than with other black openings. In the last 20 years my score with the French hasn't improved - partly because of stronger players playing 1.e4 against me than had been the case before - and the improvement in my score with black (69% to 73.2%) has been driven entirely by scoring better against moves other than 1.e4.

CC FIDE Master
    From my database of games played in WA -- mostly Metro Club games, plus state championships and an occasional weekender, mostly since 2004:

Both players rated 1000-1500: White +629 =313 -630 (49.97%)
    Both players rated 1500-1800: White +564 =296 -474 (53.4%)
    Both players rated 1800-4000: White +640 =341 -562 (52.5%)

Thread Information