Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    CC FIDE Master

The President's Soup

It will be our privilege on Monday next to entertain the former president of the CAQ. What he does not tell you is that, before his ten years as President, he was Secretary, Primary Schools Coordinator and heaven and its landlord knows what else. I am preparing a special soup.

I have washed the soup mix multiple times and left it to stand overnight to absorb water, I guess.
    Tomorrow I will add tomatoes, celery, onions, carrot, pumpkin, ( a gift from the neighbour ) and maybe some MightyMite to give it some tang and B vitamins plus the December 1992 issue of Queensland Chess. Finely diced, this rare ingredient will add more colour and body to the mix as well as giving it a more chessic flavour.

I was only able to add the magazine to the mix as the legendary Ian Murray scanned so many of his magazines. Please ensure that before making soup of your state’s chess magazines you scan them first. Remove any staples.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 08-01-2022 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    It will be our privilege on Monday next to entertain the former president of the CAQ. What he does not tell you is that, before his ten years as President, he was Secretary, Primary Schools Coordinator and heaven and its landlord knows what else. I am preparing a special soup.

I have washed the soup mix multiple times and left it to stand overnight to absorb water, I guess.
    Tomorrow I will add tomatoes, celery, onions, carrot, pumpkin, ( a gift from the neighbour ) and maybe some MightyMite to give it some tang and B vitamins plus the December 1992 issue of Queensland Chess. Finely diced, this rare ingredient will add more colour and body to the mix as well as giving it a more chessic flavour.

I was only able to add the magazine to the mix as the legendary Ian Murray scanned so many of his magazines. Please ensure that before making soup of your state’s chess magazines you scan them first. Remove any staples.
    I can't think of any opening named after food or offspring - both rare commodities in the upper echelons of chess
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I can't think of any opening named after food or offspring - both rare commodities in the upper echelons of chess
    Fried Liver Attack!
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Fried Liver Attack!
    He Would Not Try My Soup Gambit. I doubt that this name will catch on. Better might be the Soupon Gambit.

1. e4 c5 2. c4 Nc6 3. Ne2 Nf6 4. Nbc3 Qc7 5. d4 cxd4 6. Nxd4 Nxe4 7. Nxe4 Qe5 8.
    Bd3
    Last edited by blackbishop; 12-01-2022 at 06:55 AM.

The Skewered Kebab Gambit is piercing and the My Bastard Son Counter Attack really hurts.

I know an ex big time drug seller who named his racing greyhounds after prison and legal terminology. There may even an AR15 amongst them. Eventually he got sick of going to prison but only after his son got involved big time. He dobbed his son to the cops to save his life . Is there a chess strategy like that?
    Now thread smorgasbord is over.
    Last edited by antichrist; 12-01-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master

Distance Matches between Chess Clubs, then and now.

There appears to be software available that would enable a single computer operator to input moves for multiple simultaneous games. Clubs could play matches against distant clubs at their club rooms using a single computer and operator rather than having their players at home and using multiple computers linked to the same tournament.

With the now outdated STD telephone matches, the boards were groups around the telephone operator so that he could immediately react when a move was made. A special place in hell is reserved for those clubs who continued to use “runners” and a distant telephone.

This was much quicker than the older telegraphic matches when runners had to be used to convey the moves to the operator. We held STD matches at club members homes so that they became a social event. We were part of a team, could observe each others games and analyse them together after the event.

Covid permitting, in terms of maintaining chess clubs as places where people can share their common interest, online tournaments taking place at the chess club, may be preferable to online tournaments where the members of a club’s team play isolated in their own homes.

CC Candidate Master
    I believe there's an opening called the Nescafe Frappe Attack, believe it or not....

Quote Originally Posted by Sheroff View Post
    I believe there's an opening called the Nescafe Frappe Attack, believe it or not....
    I have come up with the Lebanese Opening so anything is possible. "My" attacks works against weak players. That name also my chess.com username

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    There appears to be software available that would enable a single computer operator to input moves for multiple simultaneous games. Clubs could play matches against distant clubs at their club rooms using a single computer and operator.

Covid permitting, in terms of maintaining chess clubs as places where people can share their common interest, online tournaments taking place at the chess club, may be preferable to online tournaments where the members of a club’s team play isolated in their own homes.

Has anyone tried to use a single computer to relay multiple games?

Thread Information