Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1

    Question Chess Coaches - Melbourne

    Can anyone recommend any good "hands on" chess coaches in Melbourne? Looking for someone that is reasonably current with current trends, opening knowledge and technology. I haven't played for a while and really need to start from scratch again ie build an opening lines to my style, end game, analysis etc


    Appreciate any suggestions. Am in Eastern suburbs

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastman View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good "hands on" chess coaches in Melbourne? Looking for someone that is reasonably current with current trends, opening knowledge and technology. I haven't played for a while and really need to start from scratch again ie build an opening lines to my style, end game, analysis etc


    Appreciate any suggestions. Am in Eastern suburbs
    Here you go:
    http://www.melbournechessclub.org/le...ivate-coaching (I am also on that list .

    If you are a beginner, I would recommend strongly recommend Grant. If your level is more ''Advanced'' - chat to myself or Igor.

    Two other Coaches that are not listed on the MCC page that I can strongly recommend are: Julya Rjanova & Alex Khamatgaleev.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #3
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    977

    Chess Coaching Videos

    The lockdown in Melbourne is very boring so I’ve started a YouTube channel to record some of my chess lessons for juniors. The link is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnk...GMljp4_wfzXkjA
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17,467
    Great videos!
    You seem to be doing a great job producing those. And whom did you get to feature in the videos? Who is this Old man with a beard? He looks a bit like Blackburn. Or may be its Grandpa from ''Home Alone'' but the grandpa was looking younger that that (and not sure if he knew how to play chess).
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #5
    CC Candidate Master strangerep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    [...] ’ve started a YouTube channel to record some of my chess lessons for juniors.
    Not just for juniors. Thanks to one of your videos I now realize I was/am in serious danger of being an "attacking nutter".

  6. #6
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerep View Post
    Not just for juniors. Thanks to one of your videos I now realize I was/am in serious danger of being an "attacking nutter".
    Hopefully you have been saved just in time! One of the first steps to chess mastery is understanding that there are plans other than attacking. I have a video also on this theme on the MCC website “Attack and stupid things like that” with a similar message.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master strangerep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I have a video also on this theme on the MCC website “Attack and stupid things like that” with a similar message.
    I failed to find it. Could you give me a direct link pls?

  8. #8
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerep View Post
    I failed to find it. Could you give me a direct link pls?
    https://youtu.be/GFBBB98jI1c
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  9. #9
    CC Candidate Master strangerep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Thank you.

    The 3-knight-move repositioning idea alone was worth the time spent watching the video. I had no idea what black should do at that point, since I never seriously consider things like a sequence of 3 passive-looking moves, thinking "oh, that's too slow, I need to be more quickly aggressive".

    As an aside, the MCC lecture by Jack Puccini(?) on chess psychology also slapped me on the neck a few times.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. List of Coaches
    By slyall in forum New Zealand Chess
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-03-2021, 12:51 PM
  2. Melbourne Chess Club Chess Fest Lightning & Allegro
    By ReelBigFish in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 11:57 PM
  3. Replies: 154
    Last Post: 30-01-2007, 02:10 PM
  4. AFL coaches
    By Davidflude in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-06-2006, 03:47 PM
  5. Behaviour of Coaches
    By Mischa in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •