CC Candidate Master

Copyright and the preservation of Australian Chess Literature

I imagine Ian Murray is, right now, busy scanning his Queensland Chess Magazine thereby preserving his work,
    chess history, chess characters and games etc for any interested person to enjoy online.

For someone holding a copyright and wanting to preserve the work, there are, as far as I can see, two choices.

1. The copyright holder can donate hard copies of their work to a library. The work will not be available online.

2. The copyright holder can undertake the arduous task of scanning perhaps years of work.

If the copyright holder is deceased then the following, don't quote me, situation may apply.

1. The author's work has an automatic 70 year copyright protection from the time of death.
    2. Copyright is like property and can be bequeathed in a will.
    3. The will does not have to explicitly state each item of property. "All of my estate I bequeath to..."
    4. There is no government or otherwise registration list that can be consulted to find out who holds the copyright.
    5. The Department of Communications and the Arts overseas copyright.
    6. Copyright can be transferred but it must be in writing and signed by the copyright owner or their agent.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 25-02-2020 at 06:01 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    "As a result of the Administrative Arrangement Order introduced on 5 December 2019, the functions that were previously the responsibility of the Department of Communications and the Arts
    have been transferred to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications as of 1 February 2020."

CC Candidate Master

The Safe Harbour Scheme

Perhaps it is possible for the ACF or State Chess Associations to overcome the difficulties associated with copyright by using the Safe Harbour Scheme.

"Safe harbour provisions will be extended to include the disability, education, library, archive and cultural sectors through the Copyright Amendment (Service Providers) Bill 2017.

The new measures will protect these sectors from legal liability where they can demonstrate they have taken reasonable steps to reduce copyright infringement on their online platforms. The measures will also make it easier for copyright owners to work with these sectors to prevent copyright infringement by their users."

https://www.communications.gov.au/de...harbour-scheme
    Last edited by blackbishop; 25-02-2020 at 07:47 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    I have emailed the Federal Government department in charge of copyright, asking if it would be possible, under the existing copyright laws, to establish an archive of C J S Purdy's magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    I have emailed the Federal Government department in charge of copyright, asking if it would be possible, under the existing copyright laws, to establish an archive of C J S Purdy's magazines.
    I seriously doubt that is possible given that the recently deceased Bob Long was the authorised publisher of the collected works of C.J.S. Purdy. Any other rights would no doubt reside with Purdyís descendants.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Thread split

As most of the posts on the thread seem to be unconnected to the original topic and rather to be a collection of single-post historical items I have moved those unconnected to the copyright issue here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ations-(misc-)

(Happy to take alternative suggestions for the title of the split thread via Private Message).

CC Candidate Master

The Copyright Agency

Some while ago, I wrote to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications regarding establishing an online archive of chess magazines.

Although they understandably could not provide me with any specific legal advice, they did say that to ascertain the copyright owner of the publications, you may wish to contact Copyright Agency,
    which are the statutory collecting society for much of the literary arts sector including authors, publishers and surveyors. Copyright Agency collects and distributes royalty payments to its members,
    and also arranges commercial licences. Contact details are:

Toll-free phone number (landlines only): 1800 066 844
    Phone: +612 9394 7600
    Fax: +612 9394 7601
    Address: Level 12, 66 Goulburn Street, Sydney, 2000

I have not sort legal advice on this matter and have not yet contacted the Copyright Agency.

CC Candidate Master
    I did attempt to contact by ordinary mail (stamps cost $1.10 now) a relative of C J S Purdy to find out about copyright of his chess magazines.
    As I received no reply, either I had the wrong person or I was seen as intruding in a family matter.

CC Candidate Master

Purdy's Magazines

Finger poised over the scan button, only another thirty years to wait. I think I will make myself a cup of tea.

CC FIDE Master
    Finger poised over the scan button, only another thirty years to wait. I think I will make myself a cup of tea.
    Did not Bill Gletsos suggest that the copyright was probably held by Bob Long (recently deceased). I agree.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC Candidate Master
    He may not have had any rights over the magazines. I really don't know what the situation is. Its seems to me that the best bet for
    preserving Australian chess history would be through those magazines and newsletters produced by arrangement with a Chess Association and authored or edited by the living
    such as your good self. Copyright may perhaps not be a problem in that case.

CC FIDE Master
    He may not have had any rights over the magazines. I really don't know what the situation is. Its seems to me that the best bet for
    preserving Australian chess history would be through those magazines and newsletters produced by arrangement with a Chess Association and authored or edited by the living
    such as your good self. Copyright may perhaps not be a problem in that case.
    I think the major concern should be whether or not chess publications in electronic form will be preserved into the future ..... will there be copies in the Anderson Collection for example? Publications like the ACF Newsletter and 50 Moves Magazine need to be preserved. As for chess history ..... I have most Australian publications from the time I was collecting and involved in chess and I plan to pass them on to the State Library in due course. Iíve already given them about 20 boxes of my foreign language material. A bigger question is does anyone still read books/magazines these days?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I think the major concern should be whether or not chess publications in electronic form will be preserved into the future ..... will there be copies in the Anderson Collection for example? Publications like the ACF Newsletter and 50 Moves Magazine need to be preserved. As for chess history ..... I have most Australian publications from the time I was collecting and involved in chess and I plan to pass them on to the State Library in due course. I’ve already given them about 20 boxes of my foreign language material.
    The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive preserves copies of websites - the ACF Newsletter Archive is here (and it's also still on the ACF website, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    A bigger question is does anyone still read books/magazines these days?
    If you go to your local newsagent, you'll see plenty of magazines on all sorts of subjects - except chess, unfortunately

CC Candidate Master
    Jammo have raised some important questions. Hopefully others will express an opinion and share the information they have.

It would be interesting to hear from Ian Murray who has started work on scanning Queensland Chess. Bob Meadley is a chess
    historian and would know his way around all the available archives.

Some input from the Chess Associations and Chess clubs, such as that from Patrick Byrom, would be good.

Thread Information