View Poll Results: Who will win the 2020 Candidates Tournament?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teimour Radjabov - WITHDRAWN

0 0%
  • Ding Liren

6 25.00%
  • Anish Giri

1 4.17%
  • Alexander Grischuk

1 4.17%
  • Kirill Alekseenko

0 0%
  • Ian Nepomniachtchi

1 4.17%
  • Wang Hao

0 0%
  • Fabiano Caruana

12 50.00%
  • Other (late substitute)

1 4.17%
  • No winner, event cancelled

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

2020 Candidates (17 March - 3 April), Yekaterinburg, Russia - Suspended

As nobody else has started one that I can see, this is probably a good time to open a thread for the Candidates as the draw has been announced.

https://www.fide.com/news/362

The first round is:

Radjabov - Caruana
    Ding Liren - Wang Hao
    Giri - Nepo
    Grischuk - Alekseenko

The two favourites, if you accept that Caruana and Ding are the favourites, meet in Rounds 3 and 10 (out of 14).

The venue is currently 6 hours behind Aust East Summer so assuming the start time is 2 or 3pm (can't see it mentioned but I'm sure it is somewhere) the first couple of hours at least will be at a good time for us.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Oh come on. No poll
    As I couldn't see an option to add a poll to an existing thread (I think it may have been mentioned previously that only an admin can do this), I copied the opening note to a new thread and deleted the original.

The poll options are in pairing number order for the first eight. I think I've covered every scenario.

Hard to go passed Caruana in current form.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Hard to go passed Caruana in current form.
    I agree but form (for players other than Carlsen) is not so consistent. Other than him and Ding, Grishuk may have a chance!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master Zelgiusfan5000's Avatar
    Ding’s preparation might be affected by the situation in China, and I heard he and Wang Hao will need to be quarantined for a bit before the tournament. But his chances of winning are still good of course

CC Grandmaster
    Russia announced that NO Chinese citizens coming from China will be allowed into the country till further announcements. While I am pretty sure that they will have to let Ding and Hao in - it is certainly a good way of putting them off their preparation.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Russia announced that NO Chinese citizens coming from China will be allowed into the country till further announcements. While I am pretty sure that they will have to let Ding and Hao in - it is certainly a good way of putting them off their preparation.
    According to other sources, Wang Hao has been in Tokyo and will cancel his return to China and go directly, so shouldn't have a problem.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    According to other sources, Wang Hao has been in Tokyo and will cancel his return to China and go directly, so shouldn't have a problem.
    FIDE Statement:

Wednesday, 19 Feb 2020 00:02
    Statement regarding the Chinese delegation for the Candidates tournament

Yesterday, the Russian Federation announced that the entry of travelers from the People’s Republic of China into their territory will be temporarily suspended, amid the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. Effective tomorrow, February 20, the ban will affect Chinese citizens traveling for "private, educational, working and tourist purposes".

This ban does NOT affect official, business and humanitarian visas, which for now will continue to be issued. The Chinese delegation for the Candidates tournament has been issued a humanitarian visa, which englobes travels with sport, cultural or scientific purposes. As such, they should find no impediments entering the Russian Federation, but they have been advised to travel well in advance. The Chinese Chess Association had planned to send their delegation on March 1, but now they consider arriving even earlier.

At the present time, it is not expected that the Chinese delegation should undergo a mandatory quarantine, but the situation changes by the hour, and each territory applies different measures. To be on the safe side, we are studying the possibility of offering the Chinese delegation to occupy a country house in the Moscow region upon arrival, with medical assistance at their disposal. This observation period will ensure that they will be able to continue their trip to Yekaterinburg without any issues, even if the security measures in the Sverdlovsk region are tightened in the forthcoming days.

FIDE will do everything in our hands to minimize the inconveniences to the Chinese delegation under these exceptional circumstances.

It must be noted that Wang Hao will be traveling to Russia directly from Japan, where he has been for the past few weeks.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Radjabov has withdrawn for personal reasons and been replaced by Vachier-Lagrave.

MVL finally gets to play in the Candidates! [EDIT: if it still happens.]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 06-03-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Radjabov has withdrawn for personal reasons and been replaced by Vachier-Lagrave.

MVL finally gets to play in the Candidates!
    The filling is from Radjabov on Instagram

Dear compatriots, chess fans, the entire chess community, colleagues and friends. It is not correct, I have no personal reasons to withdraw from the tournament. I will come up very soon with the statement and with letters that were sent to FIDE and their answers
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

And this from Chessbase:
    Azerisport quotes Radjabov's statement, indicating that he fears a risk of Coronavirus infection potentially disrupting the tournament and requested that FIDE postpone the event. FIDE declined, and therefore Radjabov is withdrawing.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

And here we go: here's Radjabov's letter:

https://www.chess.com/news/view/cand...achier-lagrave

According to his letter he was unhappy with FIDE's response to coronavirus issues and unsuccessfully asked for the event to be postponed.

Wang Hao is also quoted as thinking it should be postponed.

Poor form if FIDE mis-characterised this as "personal reasons".
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Emil Sutovsky agrees that Radjabov's reasons were as stated and says "personal reasons" was used as a euphemism to protect Radjabov from being accused of over-reacting:

"We used the explanation “personal reasons”, although perhaps it would have been more accurate to use the phrase “personal decision”, precisely so as to avoid Teimour being accused of an over-exaggeratedly sharp reaction to the possible threat."

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/mvl...ad-of-radjabov

I think it's best to say someone's stated reason was what it was; it's the withdrawer's problem if people then decide that reason was silly.

CC Grandmaster
    One thing clear - Fide does not want to postpone after all the organisational efforts and even if another player (e.g. Hao) refuses to start in March, they will still run the tournament as planned.

CC International Master
    The Candidates web page is up at

https://en.candidates-2020.com/

Play starts at 4pm local which is 10pm Aust Eastern Summer, except for one hour earlier in the last round. Yekaterinburg evidently doesn't have daylight saving, and Australia doesn't end until a couple of days after the finish. Rest days are 20, 24 and 28 March and 1 April.

A reminder that the poll closes on 17 March (next Tuesday). The closing time is the peculiar 10:06am, because unless I missed something the duration had to be an integer - possibly the mods can change it to the kick-off time, if not then put your vote in before morning tea. And remember that Radjabov is not a sensible option but Other is.

Thread Information