Thread: Labour Matters

Labour Matters

Now is the time for the nurses to get wage justice. Go on strike and/or threaten to during the virus to get payrates the same as other professionals.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Candidate Master
    I find it hard to believe the federal court could make as stupid a ruling as ruling casual workers should get both the loading for not having paid annual leave and sick leave and also get paid annual leave and sick leave. This is pure double dipping and should not be allowed. I hope the government appeals the decision and wins or passes legislation to stop the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by I don't know View Post
    I find it hard to believe the federal court could make as stupid a ruling as ruling casual workers should get both the loading for not having paid annual leave and sick leave and also get paid annual leave and sick leave. This is pure double dipping and should not be allowed. I hope the government appeals the decision and wins or passes legislation to stop the practice.
    I only heard a headline about it yesterday and heard no arguments whatsoever. Some causal workers have similar "overhead" costs as full time but work few hours either on request or by the boss. Transport expenses I would imagine would be one. I don't know recent awards on minimum number of hours required as some lesser duration jobs are hardly worth going to for the disruption of preparing oneself, travel maybe childcare arrangements. Decades ago it used to be 3 or 4 hours minimum.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by I don't know View Post
    I'm not sure that they can claim both. My understanding is that the ruling allows long-term casual workers to argue that they are not casual employees, and should be re-classified. If they are re-classified, then presumably they can get paid annual leave and sick leave, but not the casual loading. Employees having sick leave is a good thing for society generally, because they are more likely to stay home rather than go to work and spread disease.

But I expect that the government will certainly appeal or try to change the relevant legislation, so the decision may not last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I'm not sure that they can claim both. My understanding is that the ruling allows long-term casual workers to argue that they are not casual employees, and should be re-classified. If they are re-classified, then presumably they can get paid annual leave and sick leave, but not the casual loading. Employees having sick leave is a good thing for society generally, because they are more likely to stay home rather than go to work and spread disease.

But I expect that the government will certainly appeal or try to change the relevant legislation, so the decision may not last long.
    As well without sick leave they can continue to work when injured and exacerbate the injury that could cause chronic damage and early retirement. End up on invalid pension or similar and cost the country dearly.

CC Grandmaster

Well, if they are happy to abandon casual loading why not. But should not have both!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master

I am almost certain you are wrong. It is such a big decision because it gives casuals who have ""regular, certain, continuing, constant and predictable" employment benefits as well as casual loading.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...leave/12270724

The article says quite clearly that the Federal Court disagreed that having both benefits and casual loading was double dipping and also that he should give up his casual loading to receive the benefits.

The article also says it could effect 1.6 million casual workers.

The decision is just mind blowing stupid as it totally overturns what it means to be a casual worker.

The stories I hear about cleaning in Byron bay motels is that the staff are allotted such a workload to finish by booking time of maybe noon or 2 pm that they are then exhausted. If they have to do 8 hours they are dead. So the boss is effectively getting approximately two hours more value than they are paying for. There are no weight limits on lifting or dragging beds etc so females are badly punished. They deserve extra loading or more staff and strong guys to help.

Thread Information