Page 228 of 232 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 3472
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    ''preventing avoidlable deaths'' ...are their other ways to prevent? If Victoria IS SO MUCH WORSE OF THAN OTHERS DESPITE THE LOCKDOWNS....shouldn't there be managerial reasons tobe considered?
    I noticed you've once again refused to take responsibility by answering my question. But apart from lockdowns and vaccinations, what other way is there to avoid deaths from covid?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I noticed you've once again refused to take responsibility by answering my question. But apart from lockdowns and vaccinations, what other way is there to avoid deaths from covid?
    1) death from Covid is just one factor....and as I mentioned many times AVOIDING ONE MORE HYPOTHETICAL DEATH from covid by paying such high social, economic and long term health prices is not feasible. Also, the overall result of the Victorian government is BAD. So is your point is that with the current government we have in Victoria, the covid result would be even worse?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    There is just one Michael who believes that people should be fully responsible for their actions and not paying price for actions of other people.
    However, individual rights are tempered by collective
    societal responsibilities.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by b.nancarrow View Post
    However, individual rights are tempered by collective
    societal responsibilities.
    I would not have a problem if everyone in my ''collective'' would be on the same wave..but with some, our collective is same...yet our collectives are very different.

I would not have a problem if everyone in my ''collective'' would be on the same wave..but with some, our collective is same...yet our collectives are very different.
    Michael’s, post have a strong Maggie Thatcher energy circa 1987 –

“I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand ‘I have a problem, it is the Government’s job to cope with it!’ or ‘I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!’ ‘I am homeless, the Government must house me!’ and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

… [It] is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate … [t]hat was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system … when people come and say: ‘But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!’”

If a group of people who are on the same ‘wavelength’ can be described as a society (putting aside Thatcher’s assertion that there is no such thing). Then it’s an issue when you get numpties calling that group sheep. Sheep + people = sheeple

CC Grandmaster
    In the meantime Victoria is having almost 2200 cases, NSW that has NO Curfew and out of lockdown - under 400....very telling....
    who is doing better?

CC Grandmaster
    1) death from Covid is just one factor....and as I mentioned many times AVOIDING ONE MORE HYPOTHETICAL DEATH from covid by paying such high social, economic and long term health prices is not feasible.
    Except the deaths from covid are not "hypothetical", but are actually happening, while your "long term health prices" are all hypothetical.

Also, the overall result of the Victorian government is BAD. So is your point is that with the current government we have in Victoria, the covid result would be even worse?
    Seriously? The UK has over 100 deaths per day! I've posted this many, many times.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    Michael’s, post have a strong Maggie Thatcher energy circa 1987 –

“I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand ‘I have a problem, it is the Government’s job to cope with it!’ or ‘I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!’ ‘I am homeless, the Government must house me!’ and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

… [It] is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate … [t]hat was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system … when people come and say: ‘But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!’”

If a group of people who are on the same ‘wavelength’ can be described as a society (putting aside Thatcher’s assertion that there is no such thing). Then it’s an issue when you get numpties calling that group sheep. Sheep + people = sheeple
    Sheeple is one of my favourit words actually...
    And re people expectign others to solve their problem (state included) this is exactly how I feel...people should take responsibility for their own lives...living in society with or without COVID

Sheeple is one of my favourit words actually...
    Quelle surprise

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Southern Tas is in a three-day stay at home order because a single person arrived in the state without a pass, then escaped from hotel quarantine and was not found until late the following day; indeed his escape wasn't detected on CCTV and took many hours to be noticed. So far no additional cases but would not be surprising if there are a few as this one person has left quite a trail of contacts in a relatively low-vaccinated area. This is the first stay at home order here since mid last year.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Southern Tas is in a three-day stay at home order because a single person arrived in the state without a pass, then escaped from hotel quarantine and was not found until late the following day; indeed his escape wasn't detected on CCTV and took many hours to be noticed. So far no additional cases but would not be surprising if there are a few as this one person has left quite a trail of contacts in a relatively low-vaccinated area. This is the first stay at home order here since mid last year.
    Keeping fingers crossed. Without a pass but no evidence he has covid so hopefully - just a minor scare.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Without a pass but no evidence he has covid so hopefully - just a minor scare.
    He does have COVID - there is just no evidence yet that anyone else has caught it from him. I don't know what the story is as to whether he has any excuse for behaving like this, but he's caused an incredible amount of inconvenience. An arts festival on the west coast had to be cancelled, among other things.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC FIDE Master
    What was the situation with mask wearing in supermarkets and the like? In SA we have to wear a mask in such situations was it the same in Tasmania?

CC Grandmaster
    and NSW is down to 319 despite moving towards opening up - good job!

CC FIDE Master
    and NSW is down to 319 despite moving towards opening up - good job!
    The impact of opening up is yet to be seen in the numbers. They are expected to go up again although that did not happen as expected in the UK.

Thread Information