Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Stars as holes in the floor of heaven (sf Christians banned)

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    In Byron one such born again was very persistent in attempting to convert the local aborigines even though warned many times. It wasn't pretty. You must admit the dream time stories are more interesting than stars being holes in the floor of heaven
    Except that stars being holes in the floor of heaven is not actually in the Bible:
    [1:14] And God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years,
    [1:15] and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth." And it was so.
    [1:16] God made the two great lights - the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night - and the stars.
    [1:17] God set them in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth,
    [1:18] to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
    [1:19] And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Except that stars being holes in the floor of heaven is not actually in the Bible:
    [1:14] And God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years,
    [1:15] and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth." And it was so.
    [1:16] God made the two great lights - the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night - and the stars.
    [1:17] God set them in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth,
    [1:18] to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
    [1:19] And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
    I never claimed it was in the Bible. Catholics are famous for not being Biblical Christians indeed they barred it from being printed in the vernacular. My then teacher I imagine would have been born around year 1900 and could have only had five years of schooling as the law was then. We never had text books so it was only what was written up on the black board and we copied. That could not be excessive due to in winter we could not write to about 11am due to our fingers being frozen and stiff. Because of the drought of 61 I knew by then that rain came from clouds. I came top in religion so I could not have messed up the religious lessons too badly.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Thought I'd split this stuff in the hope of containing antichrist's babble about it to a single thread henceforth.

My sole contribution to this matter is that former Go-Betweens singer Grant McLennan (1958-2006) must have been aware of this story about stars as his song "What Went Wrong" (1994) includes the lines "What about the stars/ if you want more/ they're just holes in heaven's floor". There are other songs that mention it too. (Namedrop: I had the very good fortune to unexpectedly see Grant performing this song and many others from the same album live before it had been released, then met him by chance in Battery Point the next day.)

It isn't possible to quickly determine online where the line comes from, so I doubt it is part of any established western religion's teachings.

I just did a search, it is a very common concept. There are songs about it websites, Shakespeare makes a mention sort of. It refers to dead relos in heaven their tears are coming down as rain through those holes. See I said it was poetic and mystical.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    I never claimed it was in the Bible. Catholics are famous for not being Biblical Christians indeed they barred it from being printed in the vernacular. ...
    Catholics also don't tend to proselytise. The proselytisers who are bothering that Aboriginal community would almost certainly be evangelical Protestants - who would know their Bible very well.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    ... My sole contribution to this matter is that former Go-Betweens singer Grant McLennan (1958-2006) must have been aware of this story about stars as his song "What Went Wrong" (1994) includes the lines "What about the stars/ if you want more/ they're just holes in heaven's floor". There are other songs that mention it too. (Namedrop: I had the very good fortune to unexpectedly see Grant performing this song and many others from the same album live before it had been released, then met him by chance in Battery Point the next day.)

It isn't possible to quickly determine online where the line comes from, so I doubt it is part of any established western religion's teachings.
    And evangelical Christians would not be spreading such an unBiblical story. Off-topic, but the Go-Betweens have a bridge named after them in Brisbane - which I often cross on the way home from the Brisbane Club.

I just did a search, it is a very common concept. There are songs about it websites, Shakespeare makes a mention sort of. It refers to dead relos in heaven their tears are coming down as rain through those holes. See I said it was poetic and mystical.
    I have vague childhood memories of the stars/pinpricks as a religious fable, along with individual guardian angels, heaven in the sky and hell underground.

I think the temperance movement came from the prodo side. Right to life may have been more Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    I have vague childhood memories of the stars/pinpricks as a religious fable, along with individual guardian angels, heaven in the sky and hell underground.
    I remember too well we would go around slapping our left shoulder because that was where Satan sat whilst whispering evil things into our left ear. No wonder I now have vertigo on my left side. Been laid up for three days and having a big party tomorrow and the place is a mess.

I think the temperance movement came from the prodo side. Right to life may have been more Catholic.
    Not too many temperate Irishmen among my forebears

I remember too well we would go around slapping our left shoulder because that was where Satan sat whilst whispering evil things into our left ear. No wonder I now have vertigo on my left side. Been laid up for three days and having a big party tomorrow and the place is a mess.
    In Latin 'left' = 'sinister'. No coincidence

Satan (shatan) is a common Arabic expression, let the shatan take you or that shatan . If your hands are full and lightning strikes you say "in the name of the cross". The Filipinos say Jesus Mary and Joseph every 5 mins
    Last edited by antichrist; 20-01-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    But presumably not in the science classes?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Wasn't there one about the stars being in a tent or cloak above the world, or something?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Posts moved

Posts discussing creationism moved over here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....-as-holes-etc)

That thread may be merged with one of the existing creationism threads later; haven't decided which yet.

Any comments on this may be made in the Help and Feedback section only.

Thread Information