Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Yes, was just thinking that. As unpleasant as the queen ending is, the pawn ending is simply lost.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-01-2020 at 06:10 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Great endgame technique with queen exchange and G4!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Whilst Nigel Short was critical of Wenjun for not finding 46. Qxe7 Kxe7 47. g5 at the first opportunity, if Wenjun had seen 47. g5 but was not sure if it was 'winning' or just a good advantage, I think in terms of game play, I think delaying the capture by a couple of moves was good game play. Alexsandra had 25 minutes left on the clock (plus the 30 second increment) when 47. g5 was first available, but by delaying the capture for a few moves, Wenjun left Alexsandra with 10 minutes give or take, to try and work out how to solve the resulting King and pawn endgame.

Hopefully all the issues we have collectively noticed with the coverage will improve when the match moves to Vladivostok. No Giant Firewall of China and hopefully new commentators.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Ju wins the sort of grind that one expects to see from Carlsen. I suppose that Ju had to see well in advance that after White takes on f5 and Black on b4, White will queen with check.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Hopefully all the issues we have collectively noticed with the coverage will improve when the match moves to Vladivostok. No Giant Firewall of China and hopefully new commentators.
    Watch what you wish for; it might be Miroschnichenko.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Watch what you wish for; it might be Miroschnichenko.
    Thanks for that, no really, much appreciated If that is true, hopefully he is on the Russian channel

At least we won't have to deal with the buffering issues caused in China. When watching these coverages online, I really do wish they would have two boards showing. One being the live game position and another one that the commentators use for their analysis. Either that, or have a small camera high over the board, that shows both the current game position and the clock times and then the second board for the commentators analysis.

If they did either of those, if I did not want to hear the commentary, but still be able to follow the game, I could just watch the live board and put the commentary on mute

Thanks for that, no really, much appreciated If that is true, hopefully he is on the Russian channel

At least we won't have to deal with the buffering issues caused in China. When watching these coverages online, I really do wish they would have two boards showing. One being the live game position and another one that the commentators use for their analysis. Either that, or have a small camera high over the board, that shows both the current game position and the clock times and then the second board for the commentators analysis.

If they did either of those, if I did not want to hear the commentary, but still be able to follow the game, I could just watch the live board and put the commentary on mute
    Have 2 browsers, 1 with the commentary and 1 with the live game
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

The challenger strikes back:

PGN Viewer

Garvinator: Nigel Short just said it's him and Hou Yifan in Vladivostok.

The FIDE twitter account has just mistakenly tweeted:

"... and it is a draw!

Goryachkina was very close to bounce back and win the fifth game, but the Champion’s heroic defense allowed her to get away with a draw after 97 moves. The score after the fifth game is 3-2 for the Chinese #WomenChessMatch"

Clearly someone is getting confused with game one.

[edit: deleted now. I was going to quote-tweet it if it lasted another three minutes.]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 11-01-2020 at 10:20 PM.

What a d**khead. Nigel Short seems more concerned about his flight than the game at hand. Feel free to go catch your flight. You have about a 10 percent success rate at guessing what move in the game will be played.

What a d**khead. Nigel Short seems more concerned about his flight than the game at hand. Feel free to go catch your flight.
    I assume this only got worse, as the 50-move rule was nearly hit
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Not a very exciting game. The only thing I found curious is that the position was totally closed/drawn...but Stockfish was assessing it as -1
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Have 2 browsers, 1 with the commentary and 1 with the live game
    Catching up on some comments. I watch the coverage through youtube via FIDE Chess. So the coverage via that medium is when the commentators are present, they show the live board from a terrible angle and a demo board with the clock times and they use that board for the commentary analysis. But when the commentators take a break, we are left just watching the live board from an almost unwatchable angle.

Hence my suggestion that they should just a small camera, a go pro would be sufficient, placed high above the board, that allows showing the game position and the clocks. And I also recommended two demo boards. One is for the live position with clock times, the second one is for the commentators analysis.

If there were two boards showing as I have recommended, then commentators 'throwing' the pieces around the demo board would not bother me so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Not a very exciting game. The only thing I found curious is that the position was totally closed/drawn...but Stockfish was assessing it as -1
    It only started to become a boring game after all the pawns were fixed. Quite a bit before that, Alexsandra had opportunity to really gain quite an advantage, and with almost all the pawns were fixed, the commentators were able to offer suggestions for where traps were possible, so I think Ju is rather happy that the rest days have come now.

I enjoyed the game up until move 80, when I turned it off.

Thread Information