Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Neville Ledger 2017 KOSHNITSKY MEDALLIST

CC Grandmaster
    Unfortunately John passed away some years ago.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master

Peter Cassettari 2007 KOSHNITSKY MEDALLIST

Peter is the President of the Rooty Hill Chess Club which was established in 1973. He is an arbiter and organizer of an extensive program of tournaments held at the club.

The results of many of these tournaments are submitted to the ACF and also to FIDE so that players get both a national and a FIDE rating.

Peter has been a member of the New South Wales Chess Association Council, acting as Registrar for the association in 2009 and 2010.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Leonid actually undersells himself in that bio when he writes "Appointed Vice-President of Australian Chess Federation 2013, 2015, 2017 & 2019". He was in fact elected - in one case even against opposition!
    My point was different. I do not know who is Leonard Sandler.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad View Post
    my point was different. I do not know who is leonard sandler.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Candidate Master

Andrew Saint 2014 KOSHNITSKY MEDALLIST

The 2014 medal was awarded posthumously. It was accepted by his father Bruce and his brother Alex. The following is Alex Saint's dedication to his brother reposted from a Chess Chat thread.

If you want to really understand my dear brother you need to look back a decade ago when the Australian Chess Championships came to Adelaide. This was his finest hour. Andrew, the Wedding family and I were already involved in the University Open tournaments. After a few years, we made a bid for and were able to hold, with SACA, the Australian Chess Championships in Adelaide at the end of 2003 and start of 2004. We were all looking forward to this event, none more than Andrew. Others may look forward to going to an AFL grand final live watching their team, well this event was his grand final. As many know, Andrew loved to organise, he loved chess, and he loved to help people - and these three things came together in 2003. Robin Wedding and I were there as willing helpers but Andrew was the leading force. He was the driver, we were in the back seat. Without him, the event would not go down in many peoples eyes as one of the most memorable tournaments as stated by people including Grandmaster Ian Rogers.

It was Andrew who organised the most extravagant snack bar in the history of Australian chess!! He joked with me that we needed to 'go gourmet'. Well we certainly did! Most chess events supply foam cups, a big tin of Blend 43 coffee and a packet of out-of-date dry Arnotts biscuits. Well Andrew would have none of that. He arranged different coffee blends, herbal teas, fancy cordials, chocolate biscuits, a cheese platter, pate, dips, fruit, everything. I remember many people seeing it and saying, "wow". Andrew paid for stuff like the snack bar out of his own pocket - a lot of money for a uni student. He didn't want SACA to have to pay for that, which I think was a good thing for SACA! Why did he do it I hear you ask? He did it so you, the chess public could have a great time. The tournament was so well organised. Behind closed doors was someone who was living that tournament 100% from the moment he woke up to the moment he went to sleep for 14 days. It always brought a smile to his face to see so many people enjoying the tournament. This event wasn't an attempt to puff up Andrew's pride or stroke his ego. Andrew humbly and quietly sought to please all. Andrew even said, "we need to go to a special newsagent which has all the interstate newspapers". He thought it would be a nice thing to do for all the interstate players.

He spent two days in the Chemical Engineering department before the event designing a poster describing the chess event and its history. He organised for there to be a blind simul with GM Ian Rogers on Boxing Day, followed by other simuls and opportunities for chess players to play top players. He organised for top players to give lectures in a special room. He arranged for a BBQ dinner night ensuring there was enough food for everyone. He was always checking that people were enjoying themselves. On top of all of this, Andrew and Robin were writing the newsletter for the tournament. They had to create one each day. He and Robin put everything into that, as many do. It took hours. Andrew always made sure it was a good read. He had all games listed, annotations, chess puzzles, even a joke of the day. Andrew also had a wicked sense of humour, as many people know. I remember Robin, Andrew and I laughing about an argument that broke out on a chess chat forum. He decided to publish it and it brought a smile to many faces especially to those who live on chess chat.

Just to go back to the University Opens, I remember the attention to detail he had. He organised a Saturday night transfer tournament with prizes. He made sure with each University Open that there were prizes for players of all standards. We had $50 prizes for players with different ratings e.g. Under 1000, under 1200, etc. That was all Andrew. Yes he loved seeing top players come along and win, but he also loved the everyday people in chess too and wanted them to have something to aim for. The tournament started off being about 27 people and in its final year it had 99. Andrew being the perfectionist, jokingly of course, wished we had cracked triple figures!! The Saturday night dinner became one of the most enjoyable social events in the chess calendar. Alan Goldsmith noted in his weekly column, that the Saturday dinner event had such a friendly, warm atmosphere. The dinners reached the stage of having 4 bain-maries with many dishes to choose from. If it was up to me I would have given everyone a Chicken Parmi. All of this was because of Andrew. He even had Trevor Tao, a brilliant chess player and pianist, playing the piano at one stage. I remember Andrew getting a bit emotional when he saw Evelyn Koshnitsky (a SA chess stalwart) enjoying the company, the food and the classical music.

SACA ran team chess tournaments on Tuesday nights throughout the year. We had four teams from Uni and each year Andrew told me he thought the traditional chess team names were so boring! There were teams like 'Adelaide Red' or 'Norwood Blue'. Andrew thought it would be better to create some names to remember. So each semester had a theme. One time it was cheeses. He didn't pick Swiss or anything simple, instead he picked one called 'Queso Blanco'. Another time it was wine and he picked names like 'Merlot'. He and the whole team had a huge laugh when they'd announce which teams were on top and Bill (Anderson-Smith) would announce, "Norwood Blue is on top ahead by two points from Queso Blanco". I have never laughed so much and in the chess hall you're meant to be quiet!! I will always remember those days at Adelaide Uni as the greatest time in my life - I forget about us studying for our degrees there .

For the chess community, it would be nice for people to remember that Andrew was a State Junior Chess Champion. His biggest win was claiming the Under 18 Junior Title in what was thought to be one of the strongest fields for a long time. Andrew also performed extremely well in Istanbul and as we all know, he won the tournament on the weekend. As many have said though, he was also a gracious loser. Andrew was not about wins and losses though, which meant he truly had won in the game of life.

Rest in peace Andrew XXX.
    (Andrew Saint: 26/12/1981 - 1/4/2013)

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    My point was different. I do not know who is Leonard Sandler.
    I had not even noticed that misspelling in the title. I've corrected it.

CC Candidate Master

Evelyn Koshnitsky BEM, AM 1982 The Inaugural Koshnitsky Medallist

The Member of the Order of Australia (AM) awarded to Evelyn in 1990, is an appointment made for service in a particular locality or field of activity or to a particular group.

The British Empire Medal (BEM) awarded to Evelyn in 1980 is a British medal awarded for meritorious civil or military service worthy of recognition by the crown.

Evelyn also won the Purdy medal for chess journalism in 1990.

Perhaps the best way to describe Evelyn’s contribution is through the words of the people who knew her and the people who are continuing the work she began.

An account of the lives of Gary and Evelyn is given in chapter ten of Bill Egan’s excellent Book on the Doeberl Cup, part of which is viewable online in Google Books. Copy and paste into a browser:

Google Books. The Doeberl Cup: Fifty Years of Australian Chess History.

The links below contains photographs and descriptions of the work of the Koshnitskys and of those people who continued that work.

https://koshnitskytrust.org/

https://digital.collections.slsa.sa....odes/view/2265

http://www.chessasiapacific.com/evel...-16-july-2015/

http://www.chesskids.com.au/rjs-chess-puzzle-240/

CC Candidate Master

Gary Wastell 1998 Koshnitsky Medallist

Attributes of the Successful Australian Chess Federation President

Must have the ability to multitask. Must be able to juggle at least 20 objects simultaneously and keep them in the air indefinitely.

Must have a good memory for names, faces and events.

The skin of the forearm is on average 1.3 mm thick. Skin thickness varies over the body. The skin thickness of the ACF president must be far greater than the average over all areas of the body.

Must realise that chess players are largely reluctant readers and therefore must exercise an extreme patience, explaining yet again what was already written in plain view.

Must realise that dispute is normal, has always been normal and is not going to improve as climate change increases average temperatures.

Must be at ease with a wide variety of people in a wide variety of situations; politicians, grandmasters, junior champions, grieving families, business leaders and chess players.

Must realise that reward is something you get in heaven and is therefore not of this Earth.

Gary Wastell has been ACF president for many years. During that time, he has demonstrated an abundance of all these necessary skills and attributes as a successful
    Australian Chess Federation president.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 08-01-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: fix text

CC Candidate Master

Ian Murray 2000 KOSHNITSKY MEDALLIST

Ian Murray 2.jpg

When in 1987, the executive of the Chess Association of Queensland was moved, minus the office of the CAQ
    Administrator, Clive Terry, to Rockhampton, Ian became the CAQ Secretary and continued as Assistant Secretary CAQ
    from 1988 – 1989 and Membership Secretary 1990 – 1993. He continued his association with RCC being secretary of
    the club in 1992 and 1993.

Ian, helped by his wife Barbara, performed a valuable service for the Queensland Chess Community during this time by
    re-writing the CAQ constitution to allow for the incorporation of the CAQ to protect members against any future law suit.

Purdy Medal.

Ian produced “Queensland Chess”, a monthly publication featuring Queensland and national chess news starting in 1989.
    This magazine was an essential means of communicating with the chess community bearing in mind that Dial Up Internet
    was not generally available in Australia until around 1995. Smartphone? What is a Smartphone? Nearing the millennium,
    the internet became a cheaper and more convenient method of communication and the magazine was discontinued.

Moving to Brisbane, Ian produced the Sunday Mail chess column from 1995 – 2009. The year 1995, was the centenary
    of the CAQ. To mark this milestone, the booklet 'Queensland Chess Championship 1895 - 1995' by Ian Murray and
    published by CAQ in 1995. This booklet gives accounts of the first Queensland Championship and the championsip one hundred
    years on.

For his services to chess journalism, Ian was awarded the Purdy Medal in 1992.

In Brisbane, during difficult times for the CAQ, Ian continued as Membership Secretary/Minutes Secretary 1994 and 1995,
    Minutes Secretary 1996, Secretary in 1997 and Secretary/Treasurer 1998 till 2007. He was awarded the Koshnitsky
    Medal for Chess Administration in the year 2000.

CC Candidate Master

Keith Farrell 2016 Koshnitsky Medallist

Keith’s name is associated with chess in the Central Coast region of New South Wales. He continues to be an organizer and
    arbiter at the Central Coast Chess Club in Gosford and at the Ettalong Chess Club.

http://www.gosfordchess.com

http://gosfordchess.com/ettalong/index.html

Keith maintains both web sites.

He has been active in chess coaching at the primary school level on the Central Coast and has prepared instructional materials for use by other chess coaches.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 08-01-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    Ian Murray 2.jpg

When in 1987, the executive of the Chess Association of Queensland was moved, minus the office of the CAQ
    Administrator, Clive Terry, to Rockhampton, Ian became the CAQ Secretary and continued as Assistant Secretary CAQ
    from 1988 – 1989 and Membership Secretary 1990 – 1993. He continued his association with RCC being secretary of
    the club in 1992 and 1993.

Ian, helped by his wife Barbara, performed a valuable service for the Queensland Chess Community during this time by
    re-writing the CAQ constitution to allow for the incorporation of the CAQ to protect members against any future law suit.

Purdy Medal.

Ian produced “Queensland Chess”, a monthly publication featuring Queensland and national chess news starting in 1989.
    This magazine was an essential means of communicating with the chess community bearing in mind that Dial Up Internet
    was not generally available in Australia until around 1995. Smartphone? What is a Smartphone? Nearing the millennium,
    the internet became a cheaper and more convenient method of communication and the magazine was discontinued.

Moving to Brisbane, Ian produced the Sunday Mail chess column from 1995 – 2009. The year 1995, was the centenary
    of the CAQ. To mark this milestone, the booklet 'Queensland Chess Championship 1895 - 1995' by Ian Murray and
    published by CAQ in 1995. This booklet gives accounts of the first Queensland Championship and the championsip one hundred
    years on.

For his services to chess journalism, Ian was awarded the Purdy Medal in 1992.

In Brisbane, during difficult times for the CAQ, Ian continued as Membership Secretary/Minutes Secretary 1994 and 1995,
    Minutes Secretary 1996, Secretary in 1997 and Secretary/Treasurer 1998 till 2007. He was awarded the Koshnitsky
    Medal for Chess Administration in the year 2000.
    Good bio, but I think our Ian is�� a little older now than that photo! But good stuff putting all these bios here, including Rooty Hill President and my good friend, Peter Cassettari.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master

Thank you Adamski

Any information that you can add re Peter Cassettari's or any of the other KM winners, work in chess
    would be helpful and could be incorporated later.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    Any information that you can add re Peter Cassettari's or any of the other KM winners, work in chess
    would be helpful and could be incorporated later.
    Your bio has all the key points. He reads some Chess Chat threads so may give some more info himself. I will add he is a championship standard cross country runner. Won titles.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master

Edwin Malitis 1999 Koshnitsky Medallist

Edwin (Eddie) Malitis, Life Member of the Melbourne Chess Club, was another strong Latvian player who won the Melbourne Chess Club Championship.

He was President in 1972 and 1973. A firm but friendly and modest man, he is remembered for his tireless work as Treasurer for 47 years, a record that will certainly never be broken.

He insisted on proper financial management. He stayed with the Club in good times and in bad. An International Arbiter, he directed play in innumerable tournaments. He interested himself in literally all aspects of our activities.

A plaque put up in 1992, names him as one of the four pillars of the Club, but he might better be described as the keystone of its arch. He was awarded the Koshnitzky Medal in 1999. He died in 2007, and many of us gathered at his funeral.

As was said of a very famous man centuries ago, “If you seek his monument, look around you.” From: Robert Brooking, Play On! A Continuing History of Melbourne Chess Club

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/me...y/club-history

The Edwin Malitis Memorial Tournament is held each year at the Melbourne Chess Club.

Thread Information