Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    OR: Scan Day at Jammo's place. BYO Scanner. Entry by gold coin to pay for the electricity.
    Booked for tennis Grand Slam final day, take over the TV room with Oscar demoted to the doghouse. Lindt chocolates provided for smoko. And chess set but no score cards.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Candidate Master

What about Roses?

Don’t forget your scanner, cable, laptop , wireless mouse and flash drive. A less expensive brand of chocolates would be acceptable but thanks for offering.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 11-02-2020 at 06:04 AM.

CC Candidate Master

High Speed Scanner

Maybe the ACF could invest in a high speed scanner as Ian Murray has done,

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQQ1a_KY-Y

This is a good cause, I am more than willing to participate in a fund collection campaign to finance this. Cheers! ER
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Candidate Master
    A later account of Denis Jessop #8 is in an obituary published in the ACF Newsletter for 31 May 2019.

It contains a photo of Denis by a local camera club member.
    Last edited by Frank; 11-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.

CC Candidate Master

Dropbox link updated

The post for the highly regarded and respected Denis Jessop has been updated thanks again to the ACF newsletter editor Frank Low.

The link is on page 7 of this thread.

Copy the link and paste into a browser. If it does not download directly, find the download button. Save the file.

Last edited by blackbishop; 12-02-2020 at 09:09 AM.

CC FIDE Master

I know how to handle annoying people like you who actually want the ACF to do something.
    First line of defence “It’s not in the budget and we can’t afford it.”
    Second line of defence “Great idea but alas unless someone comes forward to do the work we have no-one to implement your idea.”
    As a last resort, if anyone complains too much, simply suggest that perhaps they are the ideal person to implement their new idea - that usually shuts them up.

However if someone comes forward and agrees to fund the project, do the work scanning, and uploading the output onto the ACF’s website I’m sure that the ACF would support this proposal. That however raises the secondary problem as to whether or not anyone could find the ACF’s website using a search engine ..... good luck with that.

In case you hadn’t guessed I’m a big fan of “Yes Minister.”
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I have commented on the ACF Website searchability matter on the ACF website thread.

There is to be no further discussion of ACF website issues on this thread unless strictly and directly relevant. Ditto for general ACF issues/complaints. Any discussion of this ruling is to occur in the Help and Feedback section only. Any comment regarding this ruling and posted to this thread will at minimum be deleted.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master

Anyone know anything about Fast Scanners?

There seems to be two types of fast scanners. The quite expensive ones require you to cut the magazine so that individual pages can be placed in a document feeder.
    Both sides of the document are scanned simultaneously. The less expensive ones simply take a photograph of the magazine rather than scan it. They seem to come with
    optical character recognition software which, I guess, would allow searching of the final document if it actually works.

CC Candidate Master

A plan to scan more magazines so that more information on KM winners can be found.

1. We consult with Ian Murray and get his view on the scanner that he has bought.

2. We raise money to buy a scanner. About $150 for the photo scanner.

3. Jammo agrees to scan as many of the magazines that he edited as he can before exploding.

( Jammo seems to have a vast collection of magazines and he seems to be the one that complains the most.)

4. We deliver the scanner to Jammo.

Everybody happy? All good?

1. ...

2. We raise money to buy a scanner. About $150 for the photo scanner. ...

If/when this plan is materialized, I would contribute the $150.00 needed for the photo scanner.
    Just e-mail me bank account No. when ready. Cheers, E.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

As already stated I have an unused flat scanner just gathering dust if needed.

And ER donation can go to our inaugural Byron Bay tournament as already pledged. As with all tournaments I organise I don't pay rent or any fees so 100% fees goes to prizes.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Candidate Master
    Because of the potentially large amount of material to be scanned, a reasonably fast method of scanning would be needed..
    What sort of scanner are you offering?
    Last edited by blackbishop; 12-02-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Because of the potentially large amount of material to be scanned, a reasonably fast method of scanning would be needed..
    What sort of scanner are you offering?
    Had to rescue it from the basement.

Canoscan LiDE 600F Serial number KBXA03034
    Canon5v 500mA FC3-4-01617 DB03 Class B digital Can copy, photo/film & email. Also mentions pdf
    Made in Vietnam

I see it is still everywhere on websites for the drivers etc. I don't know if needs as it has never being turned on. There are still on sale for $125. There is a chance that I could land another one if required but not sure.

CC Candidate Master
    I also have a Canoscan, although probably of an older vintage than yours. My Canon printer also scans pretty well.
    They would all be of use if a mass scanning party was organised. Scan Day at Jammo's place.

The other approach might be to buy a faster scanner and bequeath it to someone who had the time and the magazines to use it.

Thread Information