Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    Mark Stokes, President of the Redcliffe Chess Club, has won the 2020 Koshnitsky Medal presented on the conclusion of the
    2020 Australian Championships. Part of the submission made by Redcliffe CC to the ACF will be posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    ... In pre internet days, news sheets and magazines were used to convey information. Some of these may still be available and could be scanned and uploaded to a Dropbox so that they could be accessed by all, copyright permitting. Hopefully, Ian Murray will be encouraged to upload his Queensland Chess magazine to the Cloud. There were many more publications worthy of preserving that might otherwise be lost.
    Using a flat-bed scanner is agonisingly slow, so I've ordered a high-speed book scanner. CAQ secretary Mike D'Arcy is hot to trot, so there should soon be a CAQ archives web site making them all available.

Allan Fossey gets the credit (or it's all his fault ). He started the ball rolling.

Mark Stokes, President of the Redcliffe Chess Club, has won the 2020 Koshnitsky Medal presented on the conclusion of the
    2020 Australian Championships. Part of the submission made by Redcliffe CC to the ACF will be posted soon.
    Congratulations Mark Stokes!
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Candidate Master

More Informarion about Ian Laurie, Koshnitsky medal winner in 1987

Ian was joint winner of the Begonia Open in 1988 along with Guy West and Daryl Johansen.

He was, at one time, ACF Ratings Officer and took on the job of changing a manual method of
    computing chess ratings to a computer based system.

He was the Membership Secretary of the Victorian Chess Association now Chess Victoria.
    He is a Life Member of Chess Victoria.

He was, at one time, ACF Ratings Officer and took on the job of changing a manual method of
    I don't see how that can be correct given that the ACF ratings had been calculated by a computer (mainframe) system (coded in Fortran) from at least 1970 by the first ACF National Ratings Officer Roger Cook. It was calculated on mainframe computers up until at least 1982 (in PL/I) after which it was done on IBM PC computers.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    I don't see how that can be correct given that the ACF ratings had been calculated by a computer (mainframe) system (coded in Fortran) from at least 1970 by the first ACF National Ratings Officer Roger Cook. It was calculated on mainframe computers up until at least 1982 (in PL/I) after which it was done on IBM PC computers.
    All this being true, I guess that the best person to ask about Ian's contribution to the processing of chess ratings would be Ian Laurie.

All this being true, I guess that the best person to ask about Ian's contribution to the processing of chess ratings would be Ian Laurie.
    Does that mean that the validity of your previous

... and took on the job of changing a manual method of
    might be questionable?

I don't want to sound inquisitive. but we're talking about important personalities of the Australian chess history here!

Cheers E.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Candidate Master

Purpose of this thread.

The purpose of these posts was to promote awareness of the Koshnitsky Medal and to give some recognition to some of the people that have worked hard
    for Australian Chess over the years; not a scholarly effort, but better than just a name on a list.

In crediting one person with some input into a certain achievement, I am aware that other people may have also contributed to that achievement. It would be
    nice if the state chess associations had better archives. The Chess Association of Western Australia has a great newsletter and website and gives extensive
    coverage to the achievements of its life members.

I had hoped that, as Bill Gletsos and a few others have done, additional information and corrections to the posts would be made. These could be incorporated
    in a future archive if anyone had a mind to create such an archive.

While I have stated that I accept Bill’s account of the origin of the ACF ratings system, I am not sure that the two accounts are incompatible. I see that you, ER,
    live in Melbourne. Maybe you could try to contact Ian Laurie and get his version of events to post in this thread. Without further information, it is useless to
    debate the issue.

I had not intended to make any further contributions to this thread after arranging for the Redcliffe Chess Club to post their submission for the 2020 winner.
    I hope others may be able to add information to the thread.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 14-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.

CC Candidate Master

Mark Stokes 2020 KOSHNITSKY MEDALLIST

CC Rookie

CC Rookie

CC Rookie

CC Rookie

Koshnitsky Medal Winners

CC Rookie
    On behalf of all members of the Redcliffe Chess Club we wish to wholeheartedly congratulate Mark on this prestigious award. Such does him great credit - his contribution to our club, the Queensland and Australian chess scene is remarkable and truly reflects his significant contribution in promoting chess at all levels. His promotion of the game to juniors is one of his many loves in life, but he has always found time to assist anyone who calls on his considerable endeavours.
    But behind every great man, there is often a better women. Mark's wife Patti has supported him throughout his chess playing career and especially during his administration roles. So to Patti - well done!!!!

Congrats, Mark Stokes! A worthy winner- as they all are.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information